Schwerin Tourist Attractions
Schlossinsel Schloss View slideshowCapital of the Land of Mecklenburg-West PomeraniaThere are numerous 18th and 19th C. buildings in the Old Town of Schwerin, mostly designed by the court architect, G. A. Demmler.
Address: Lennestrasse 1, D-19053 Schwerin, Germany
Schlossinsel - Museum of Prehistory
In the wing of Schwerin's Schlossinsel Schloss facing the Burgsee is the Museum of Prehistory and the Early Historical Period. Among items of particular interest are finds from the Mesolithic settlement at Hohen-Viecheln near Wismar and the Slav defensive rampart at Teterow.
In the north wing of Schlossinsel Schloss in Schwerin is the palace chapel (by J. B. Parr, 1560-63), a Renaissance building with a finely furnished interior, modeled on the palace chapel of Torgau.
Southwest of the Burggarten in Schwerin's Schlossinsel Schloss is the Schlossgarten, which was laid out in the 18th C. as a Baroque pleasure garden, with the Kreuzkanal, arcades and copies of sculpture from the workshop of Balthasar Permoser. On the edge of the gardens can be seen an old grinding mill.
Mecklenburg State Theater
North of the palace in Schwerin, in the Alter Garten, a square surrounded by imposing buildings, stands the neo-Renaissance Mecklenburg State Theater (Staatstheater; by G. Daniel, 1883-86). Near the theater is a bust of Conrad Ekhof, who founded the first German academy of dramatic art in Schwerin in 1753.
Address: Alter Garten 2, D-19055 Schwerin, Germany
On the east side of the Alter Garten in Schwerin is the State Museum (Staatliches Museum), a picture gallery in neo-classical style (by H. Willebrand, 1877-82). The facade, originally plain, was enriched during rebuilding with Italian Renaissance ornament. The collection includes large numbers of works by Flemish and Dutch masters of the 17th and 18th centuries, and modern art is also represented.
Address: Alter Garten 3, D-19055 Schwerin, Germany
On the west side of the Alter Garten in Schwerin, at Schlo-Strasse 1, is the Altes Palais (Old Palace), a two-story half-timbered building (1799) formerly used for the accommodation of members of the court; it is now occupied by offices.
Old Town Hall
The historic streets and squares of the old town of Schwerin, including the Markt, have been restored and rebuilt in recent years. At the southeast corner of the Markt stands the Old Town Hall (Altstädtisches Rathaus), the oldest parts of which date from the 14th C.; it has a neo-Gothic facade (by G. A. Demmler, 1835). Behind it are four half-timbered gabled houses (17th C.).
On the north side of the Markt in Schwerin is the so-called Neues Gebäude (New Building), built by J. J. Busch in 1783-85 as a row of shops. It has a massive porch with 14 Doric columns.
New Town Palace
In the center of Schwerin are several old palaces and burghers' houses, including the Neustädtisches Palais (New Town Palace) at Puschkinstrasse 19-21. Originally built by J. J. Busch in 1776, it was rebuilt in French Renaissance style in 1878.
St Nicholas's Church
The Baroque parish church of St Nicholas (Schelfkirche) in Schelfstrasse in Schwerin was built in 1708-11 on the site of an earlier medieval church.
In Schwerin's Muess district is an open-air museum with examples of rural buildings of the 17th and 18th centuries, illustrating the life and work of the people of Mecklenburg.
Situation and characteristicsThe Schweriner See (area 65.5sq.km/25sq.mi), together with some 25 medium-sized lakes and numerous smaller ones, forms the most westerly part of the Mecklenburg lake district, a rolling area of morainic country lying at altitudes of between 50m/165ft and 100m/330ft. The lakes, within easy reach of Schwerin, offer abundant scope for bathing and water sports of all kinds and for pleasant walks along their wooded shores.There are boat services between Schwerin and the most popular recreation areas - Zippendorf, Muess and the island of Kaninchenwerder.
Across the middle of Lake Schwerin runs a causeway, the Paulsdamm (constructed in 1842), which separates the Binnensee (Inner Lake; maximum depth 43m/141ft) from the Aussensee (Outer Lake; maximum depth 51m/167ft). The causeway, which carries the main road from Schwerin to Güstrow and Neubrandenburg (B 104), is only a little above water level and affords magnificent views of the Aussensee (3-4km/2-2.5mi wide) and the Binnensee (up to 6km/4mi wide).
In the Binnensee (Inner Lake Schwerin) there are two islands of some size - Kaninchenwerder or Rabbit Island (nature reserve; outlook tower) and Ziegelwerder. The largest of the islands in the Aussensee is Lieps, a narrow island 2km/1.25mi long.The Schweriner See has a natural outlet to the south by way of the river Stör to the Elbe and a man-made outlet to the north by way of the Wallensteingraben to the Baltic.
More on PlanetWare