Brunswick Tourist Attractions

The old Guelph town of Braunschweig (better known in English as Brunswick), the second largest city in the Land of Lower Saxony, lies on the Oker in a fertile plain in the north of the Harz foreland area. In the old town a few "islands of tradition" bear witness to the rich history of the town, which suffered severe destruction in the Second World War. Braunschweig's Technical College (now the University) was the earliest in Germany (founded 1745).


In the heart of Braunschweig (Brunswick) lies the Burgplatz, with Burg Dankwarerode (restored), built about 1175 by Henry the Lion (with a two-story wing of 1887). In the center of the square is a magnificent bronze lion, set up here by Henry the Lion in 1166 as a symbol of his power.

Brunswick Lion

The magnificent bronze lion was set up in Braunschweig's Burgplatz by Henry the Lion in 1166 as a symbol of his power.

Huneborstelsches Haus

The Huneborstelsches Haus (1536) in Braunschweig was moved to its present position in 1902; it is now a guild-house.

Burg Dankwarderode

Burg Dankwarderode (restored), in Braunschweig's Burgplatz, was built about 1175 by Henry the Lion (with a two-story wing of 1887).
Address: Museumstrasse 1, D-38100 Braunschweig, Germany

Cathedral of St Blasius

The Romanesque and Gothic Cathedral of St Blasius (Blaise), in Braunschweig, the earliest large vaulted building in Lower Saxony, was built in 1173-95 during the reign of Henry the Lion. In the nave is the tomb of Henry and his wife Mathilde (c. 1250), a masterpiece of Late Romanesque sculpture of the Saxon school. In front of the choir, under a brass of 1707, are buried Emperor Otto IV (d. 1218) and his wife Beatrix. In the high choir, which, like the south aisle, has Romanesque wall paintings, is a seven-branched candelabrum 4.5 m/15ft high, presented by Henry the Lion. The oldest and most important item in the furnishings of the Cathedral is the Imerward Crucifix (1150), from the first cathedral.
Address: Burgplatz, D-38100 Brunswick, Germany


The large Hagenmarkt in Braunschweig has a fountain commemorating Henry the Lion (1874).

St Catherine's Church

The Katharinenkirche (12th-14th C.; Protestant) in Braunschweig has an organ installed in 1980, incorporating parts of a Baroque organ of 1623.

St Andrew's Church

The 12th C. Andreaskirche in Braunschweig is Romanesque with Gothic alterations.

University of Technology

To the north of Braunschweig's town center is the University of Technology, founded in 1745 as the Collegium Carolinum.
It is home to over 13,000 students and is a renowned German technology institute.
Address: Pockelsstr. 14, D-38106 Brunswick, Germany

Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum in Braunschweig is near the University of Technology.
Exhibits feature dinosaurs, birds, and sea creatures.
Address: Pockelsstrasse 10, D-38106 Braunschweig, Germany


The Markt in Braunschweig, southwest of the Burgplatz, forms the heart of the old Hanseatic commercial town. It originated as a street market in the 11th and 12th centuries.

St Martin's Church

The Martinikirche in Braunschweig was built during the 12th-14th centuries (Protestant).

Town Hall

The Gothic Town Hall in Braunschweig Market, originally a 14th C. banqueting hall, has a two-tier arcade in front.

Cloth Hall

The medieval Gewandhaus (restored) in Braunschweig is now occupied by a restaurant. Its east gable (1591) is the finest example of Renaissance architecture in Braunschweig.

St Michael's Church

The little Michaeliskirche (Protestant) in Braunschweig was consecrated in 1157. In its present form it is a 14th century Gothic hall-church.

Half-timbered House

At Alte Knochenhauerstrasse 11 is Braunschweig's oldest half-timbered house front.

Haus der Hanse

The handsome Haus der Hanse in Braunschweig was built in 1567.

St Ägidien's Church

The Gothic church of St Ägidien or St Giles (R.C.; choir 13th C., nave 14th C.) is to the south of Braunschweig's Burgplatz. Adjoining the church, in the old Dominican monastery, is the Braunschweig Provincial Museum (Landesmuseum; history, folk traditions).

Ottilienteil Quarter

In Braunschweig's picturesque Ottilienteil quarter are many half-timbered houses.

St Magnus's Church

The finely restored Magnikirche in Braunschweig was consecrated in 1031 (Protestant; modern sculpture). Behind the church there remains a corner of old Braunschweig, with fine half-timbered houses. In the churchyard of St Magnus's (700 m/750yd southeast) can be seen the tomb of the writer and philosopher G. E. Lessing (1729-81). On the east side of the churchyard is the Stadthalle (1965).


Beside the Museumspark in Braunschweig stands the Herzog-Anton-Ulrich-Museum, with a collection of art and applied art (imperial robes of Otto IV; Rembrandt's "Family Group", c. 1668).
Two hundred m/220yd south, on the Löwenwall, is the interesting Municipal Museum (Städtisches Museum).
Address: Museumstrasse 1, D-38100 Braunschweig, Germany


On the Löwenwall in Braunschweig's Museumspark is the interesting Municipal Museum (Städtisches Museum).
Address: Postfach 33 09, D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany


The beautiful Bürgerpark in Braunschweig has a swimming pool (the Stadtbad) and a recreational and educational center.
Adjoining is the elegant Schloss Richmond (1768-69).

Schloss Richmond

The elegant Schloss Richmond in Braunschweig's Bürgerpark was built between 1768 and 1769.


In Braunschweig's eastern Riddagshausen suburb, beyond the Prinz-Albrecht-Park, can be found a notable church belonging to a former Cistercian monastery (13th C.). To the north and south are the Riddagshausen nature reserve and the Buchhorst landscape reserve.
Braunschweig Map - Tourist Attractions Brunswick Map - Attractions

Popular Pages

popular right now