Frankfurt Tourist Attractions
FrankfurtThis old imperial city on the Main, by virtue of its central situation an intermediary between North and South Germany, is one of the most important commercial and economic centers in the country, with the headquarters of the Bundesbank, the leading German stock exchange and numerous major banks.
Numerous international trade fairs are held in Frankfurt every year.High-rise buildingsSince World War II and the period of postwar reconstruction, the central area of Frankfurt has taken on a new aspect. The city's skyline is now dominated by the great cluster of high-rise buildings in the banking quarter.The office of the Dresdner Bank, at 166 m/545ft, is one of the tallest buildings in the city. The Cooperative Bank (Bank für Gemeinwirtschaft) occupies a 156 m/512ft high tower block (by R. Heil, 1977) in Theaterplatz, clad with natural-colored aluminum and reflective insulating glass. One of the more recent additions to the skyline is the 117 m/384ft high Torhaus (by O. M. Ungers), a tower block within a tower block which has become the new Trade Fair emblem. The 155 m/509ft high glass-fronted twin towers of the Deutsche Bank in the Taunus Gardens were designed by the ABB group (Hanig, Scheid and Schmidt). Other high-rise buildings are under construction or at the planning stage.All this has earned Frankfurt the names of "Mainhattan" and "Chicago on the Main".
HauptwacheIn the center of Frankfurt lies the square called An der Hauptwache (large shopping area in underpass; S-Bahn and U-Bahn station), with the Baroque Hauptwache (Guard-House; renovated 1981-82). From this square Frankfurt's main shopping and commercial streets radiate: the Zeil (pedestrian zone), going east, and Kaiserstrasse (with many places of entertainment in side streets), which runs southwest by way of the Rossmarkt (Gutenberg memorial) and Kaiserplatz to the city's main station (Hauptbahnhof; 1883-88, with later renovation), one of the largest stations in Europe.
Three great arcs of girders reach from one side platform to the opposing platform in a majestic sweep, dividing the three main train-sheds into their separate parts.
Southwest of Frankfurt's Kaiserplatz, in Theaterplatz, is the Municipal Theater (Städtische Bühnen), with three houses (opera, theater, chamber theater).On the north side of the Theater towers the BfG-Hochhaus, the offices of the Cooperative Bank.
You can see major operas in Frankfurt in two different houses -- one which looks old and one which looks new -- although both have had to be rebuilt. The Alte Oper was hit by Allied bombs in 1944 with only the facade and foyer remaining. It was gradually rebuilt beginning in 1971 and now is the scene of one opera a year. The rest of the productions are at the Städtische Bühnen, a modern complex which was hit by arson in 1987 and reopened in 1991.
Address: Untermainanlage 11, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
To the north of the Rossmarkt in Frankfurt stands the Stock Exchange (built 1879, rebuilt 1957), the largest stock exchange in Germany, with an annual turnover of more than 40 billion DM.
Address: Börsenplatz, D-60313 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eschenheim TowerA little way north of the Stock Exchange in Frankfurt is the Eschenheimer Turm (1400-28), the finest relic of the old town walls, which are now replaced by the ring of gardens enclosing the old town.
To the south of the Rossmarkt in Frankfurt, at Grosser Hirschgraben 23, is the Goethe House (completely rebuilt on the basis of old plans in 1946-51), in which the great German writer was born on August 28, 1749, and lived until 1765. The interior (now a museum) has been restored to its original condition.Adjoining is the Haus des Deutschen Buchhandels (Book Trade House), headquarters of the central organization of publishers and booksellers.
Address: Grosser Hirschgraben 23-25, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
St Paul's Church
To the south of Frankfurt's Hauptwache, in Paulsplatz, stands the Paulskirche (built 1790-1833, restored 1948), a plain neo-classical building on a centralized plan in which the first German National Assembly met in 1848-49. The presentation of the Frankfurt Goethe Prize and the annual Peace Prize of the German Book Trade takes place here.
RomerbergSoutheast of the Paulskirche in Frankfurt is the Römerberg, an irregularly shaped square with the Justice Fountain (Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen) in the center. Reconstruction of the square, which suffered severe destruction during the Second World War, was completed in 1986, with a new "Kulturschirn" (leisure and cultural zone - schirn being an old Frankfurt word for the open-fronted shops that were once a common feature of the old town).
Frankfurt am Main - Römer
On the west side of the Römerberg in Frankfurt is the Römer, a complex of eleven formerly separate buildings of the 15th-18th centuries, including the Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus), with an Imperial Hall (Kaisersaal) which was once the scene of splendid banquets. To the west stands the New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus; 1900-08). To the south of the New Town Hall, on the banks of the Main, is the Gothic church of St Leonhard (14th C.; R.C.), with Romanesque doorways.
St Nicholas Church
On the south side of the Römerberg in Frankfurt is the Nikolaikirche, with a carillon.
Beyond Frankfurt's Nikolaikirche, reaching down to the Mainkai, can be found the Historical Museum, completed in 1972 (history of Frankfurt, children's museum, communications center). Incorporated in the building are the Rententurm (1455) and the Saalhof (originally dating in part from ninth C.; altered in 18th and 19th C.).
Address: Saalgasse 19, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
On the east side of the Römerberg in Frankfurt is the Ostzeile, with six buildings in traditional style erected in the early eighties, to the south of which is the house known as the Schwarzer Stern (Black Star) and to the north the Steinernes Haus (Stone House; restored 1957-60), headquarters of the Kunstverein (Art Society).From here the Alter Markt, on which are the Technical Town Hall (Technisches Rathaus), the new Schirn-Kunsthalle (periodic exhibitions) and the Historical Garden (remains from the Roman and Carolingian periods), leads to the Cathedral.
CathedralThe Gothic Frankfurt Cathedral (R.C.), in red sandstone, was built in the 13th-15th centuries (restored after suffering heavy damage in 1944). Its 95 m/312ft high tower is a city landmark. From 1562 onwards the coronation of the Emperor took place under the crossing (Election Chapel on south side of choir). Beneath the tower is a magnificent "Crucifixion" by Hans Backoffen (1509). In the Marienkapelle can be seen the Maria-Schlaf-Altar (Dormition of the Virgin Altar, 1434). In the choir is the grave-slab of King Günter von Schwarzburg, who died in Frankfurt in 1349. In the south transept is a large organ (80 stops). There are also a number of carved side altars (15th-16th C.).
Address: Domplatz 14, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Address: Alfred-Brehm-Platz 16, D-60316 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Old Opera House
Old Opera HouseAt the old Bockenheimer Tor can be found the Old Opera House (originally built 1880), which was reopened in 1981, after rebuilding, as a congress and concert hall. The exterior of the Opera House is in the style of the Italian High Renaissance. Its main hall seats 2,500 people.
Address: Opernplatz, D-60313 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
1.5km/1mi northwest of Frankfurt's Opera House on the Bockenheimer Landstrasse is the beautiful Palm Garden (native, subtropical and tropical flora).The gardens also offer recreational facilities (boat hire, children's playground, mini-golf, etc.).
Address: Palmengartenstrasse, D-60325 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
German Library in Frankfurt am Main
On the south side of the Palmengarten in Frankfurt is the Deutsche Bibliothek (1957-59), which collects all German-language books published in Germany or abroad. Facing it, on the Bockenheimer Landstrasse, stands the Municipal and University Library (Stadt- und Universitätsbibliothek).
Address: Adickesallee 1, D-60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Northeast of the Palmengarten in Frankfurt is the Grüneburgpark (29 hectares/72 acres), with the Botanic Garden.
Nidda Valley People's Park
Northwest of the Grüneburgpark in Frankfurt, on the outskirts of the city, lies the Volkspark Niddatal, remodeled in 1989 for the Federal Garden Show.
1km/.75mi north of the Palmengarten in Frankfurt rises the 331 m/1,086ft high Telecommunications Tower (1977), with a viewing platform and a restaurant.
Heinrich Hoffmann Museum
To the south of the Palmengarten in Frankfurt, at Schubertstrasse 20, is the Heinrich Hoffmann Museum, devoted to the author of "Struwwelpeter" (also material on the history of medicine).There is a Struwwelpeter Collection, with original drafts and rare editions of the book, at Hochstrasse 45-47, near the Old Opera House.
Address: Schubertstrasse 20, D-60325 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Senckenberg Natural History Museum
Senckenberg Natural History Museum Patrick NouhaillerIn the Senckenberg Gardens in Frankfurt is the extensive range of buildings occupied by the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University (founded 1914) and the Senckenberg Natural History Museum, one of the most modern museums of natural history in Europe (fossils, minerals, large mammals, development of man; research collection). The Senckenberg Society has an institute of marine research (established 1928) in Wilhelmshaven.
Address: Senckenberanlage 25, D-60325 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Along the Schaumainkai in Frankfurt's district of Sachsenhausen, on the left bank of the Main, there has developed in recent years an extraordinary concentration of museums, some of them of international standing.
In the center of the Museumsufer in Frankfurt is the Städel Art Institute, with the Municipal Gallery, an excellent collection of painting from the 14th C. to the present day (Rembrandt, Cranach, Dürer, Goya; Italian, Dutch and Flemish masters).
Address: Dürerstr. 2, D-60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Museum of Applied Art
The Frankfurt Museum of Applied Art, housed in the neo-classical Villa Metzler and a new building opened in 1985, has some 30,000 items of European and Asian applied art - furniture, tapestries, glass, ceramics, books and manuscripts.
Address: Schaumainkai 17, D-60594 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Museum of Ethnography
The Museum of Ethnography in Frankfurt is one of the finest museums in Germany. The museum was founed in 1904 by Dr. Bernhard Hagen.
Address: Schaumainkai 29, D-60594 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
German Postal Museum
The German Postal Museum, the predecessor of which was opened in Berlin in 1878, has been housed in Frankfurt since 1958. The exhibits illustrate the history of the postal service and telecommunications.
Address: Schaumainkai 53, D-60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
In the Liebieghaus in Frankfurt is the Museum of Ancient Sculpture (Asian and Egyptian, Greek and Roman, medieval, Renaissance and Baroque).
Address: Schaumainkai 71, D-60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
German Architectural Museum
The German Architectural Museum in Frankfurt illustrates the interaction between social and ecological objectives, the technical capacity available and ideas of architectural design.The museum is home to 200.000 architectural plans, drawings and sketches, 1240 models, pictures and furniture.
Address: Schaumainkai 43, D-60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
German Film Museum
The Film Museum in Frankfurt has five sections: from the camera obscura to the Lumière brothers; the work of the Lumière brothers; history of the cinema; the language of film; and sound in film.
Address: Schaumainkai 41, D-60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Trade Fair Grounds
Some 500 m/550yd south of the University in Frankfurt are the Trade Fair Grounds, with the Festhalle (built 1907-09; renovated 1986). With a total area of 40 hectares/100 acres, 10 exhibition halls and the Torhaus (1985), the Trade Fair Grounds offer facilities for numerous trade fairs and exhibitions, including the International Book Fair, the Frankfurt International Trade Fair, the International Motor Show, the Frankfurt Art Fair and the International Computer Fair. The Messeturm (by Helmut Jahn, 1990) is 256 m/840ft high.
Stadtwerke Frankfurt am Main
The first line of the Stadtwerke Frankfurt am Main was opened in 1968. It is made up of 7 lines with 56.2km of track. There are 82 stations. The system has a zonal fare structure.The metro system serves almost 100 million people yearly with a rolling stock of 226 articulated cars. During peak hours trains run every two minutes.
Museum of Modern Art
Works from Andy Warhol, Liechtenstein and Beuys are on display in the Museum for Modern Art in Frankfurt am Main. There are more than 4,500 artworks in the modern and contemporary art collection.
Address: Domstrasse 10, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
St Leonard Church
The Parish Church of St Leonard (R.C.), situated directly on the Main ambankment, was founded in 1219 as a chapel dedicated ts SS. Mary and George, built on a site presented to the town by the Emperor Frederick II.
The Jewish Museum in Frankfurt am Main displays the history of the Jews in Frankfurt from the Middle Ages to present day.
Address: Untermainkai 14/15, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Sachsenhausen is the place to enjoy a Frankfurt specialty, the cider (ebbelwei) which is sold here, particularly in Grosse and Kleine Rittergasse, Rauschergasse, Textorgasse and Klappergasse. Visitors may take some time to get used to the sharp taste effect of ebbelwei. Favorite dishes to accompany it are Rippchen mit Kraut (pickled ribs of pork with sauerkraut) and Schwartenmagen mit Musik (onions with vinaigrette dressing).
The Rhine-Main Airport, the largest airport in Germany, lies 10km/6mi southwest of Frankfurt's city center, at the intersection of the Cologne-Munich and Hamburg-Basle highways (the Frankfurter Kreuz). In terms of flights handled it is exceeded only by London Heathrow, and there are plans to increase the airport's capacity to 30 million passengers a year. The southern part of the airport is occupied by the U.S. Air Force's base, with a monument commemorating the Berlin airlift, the counterpart of the one in Berlin.The airport contains a chapel, several restaurants, and an extensive shopping area.
Town Hall, Hanau
Hanau, situated in a fertile plain at the junction of the Kinzig with the Main, is an important road and rail junction and a considerable industrial town.
In the Marktplatz in Hanau stands the New Town Hall (Neustädtisches Rathaus; built 1725-33, rebuilt 1962-65), with a carillon. In front of it can be seen a monument to Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, founders of German philology, who were born in Hanau.
North of the Marktplatz in Hanau is the Old Town Hall (rebuilt 1958), now the Goldschmiedehaus (exhibition of Hanau jewelry, a reproduction of an old goldsmith's workshop, special exhibitions). In front of the house is the Justice Fountain (1611).
3km/2mi northwest of Hanau's old town lies the district of Wilhelmsbad, once a summer residence of the Landgraves of Hesse and, until its mineral spring dried up, a fashionable spa. The old spa features (lakes, artificial ruins, hermitage) were renovated in the 1960s, and this is now an attractive and popular recreation area.At Parkpromenade 4 is the Hessian Doll Museum (Puppenmuseum; dolls from ancient times to the present day; dolls' houses).
South of Wilhelmsbad and west of Hanau's old town, on the Main, stands Schloss Philippsruhe (Baroque; much altered 1875-80), which now houses the Hanau Historical Museum (ceramics, silver, pictures; Brothers Grimm Collection). Part of the Schlossgarten is a sculpture garden (works by contemporary sculptors). The Brothers Grimm Fairy tale Festival is held here every summer.
Address: Philippsruher Allee 45, D-63454 Hanau, Germany
Some 30km/20mi northeast of Hanau, on the southern fringe of the Vogelsberg, is the little town of Büdingen (pop. 18,000).There are still considerable stretches of the old town walls (15th-16th C.), with round towers, on the north and west sides of the town. In the Marktplatz is the Late Gothic Old Town Hall, with the Heuson Museum (history and folk traditions of the region); in this area too there are many old half-timbered buildings. To the southeast is the 15th century Marienkirche (St Mary's Church).In the nearby village of Grossendorf is the Remigiuskirche, one of the oldest churches in Germany, dating back in part to Ottonian and Salian times.
The formidable castle of the Princes of Isenburg and Büdingen, originally dating from the 13th C., was much altered in the 15th-17th centuries. It has handsome state apartments and contains a museum. The Gothic chapel has a Romanesque pediment over the doorway.
Address: Schlossplatz 1, D-63654 Büdingen, Germany
popular right now