Stuttgart Tourist Attractions
New Palace, StuttgartCapital of the Land of Baden-WürttembergStuttgart, capital of the Land of Baden-Württemberg, is beautifully situated in a basin enclosed by forest-covered hills and orchards, open only on the east towards the Neckar. From the valley bottom, where the older part of the town and the historic buildings are to be found, the houses climb up the surrounding slopes; when these are too steep for streets they are reached by flights of steps or stepped lanes. Stuttgart is an important fruit-growing center. In the districts of Berg and Bad Cannstatt are the most productive mineral springs in Europe after those of Budapest.
In Arnulf-Klett-Platz (underground shopping arcade; late opening) is the Hauptbahnhof, Stuttgart's main railroad station (by Paul Bonatz and E. F. Scholer, 1914-27), with a 58m/190ft high tower. Opposite the station is the Hindenburgbau (1927-28; extended 1951), and beyond this, in Lautenschlagerstrasse, are the Zeppelinbau (hotel) and Post Office Headquarters (1926-27).Facing the station, on the left can be found the Schlossgartenbau (hotel), originally built in 1960-61 as offices.
From the station Königstrasse, the town's main business and shopping street (pedestrian zone), runs southwest, past the Cathedral of St Eberhard (R.C.; rebuilt 1955), to the Schlossplatz, continuing to the Wilhelmsbau.
The spacious Schlossplatz is surrounded by buildings dating from the time when Stuttgart was a ducal and royal capital. In the center of the gardens stands the Jubilee Column, erected in 1841 to commemorate King William I's 25 years of rule. Here too are a cast-iron bandstand (1871) and a number of pieces of modern sculpture (Calder, Hrdlicka, Hajek). On the northwest side of the square is the Königsbau (1856-60; restored 1957-59), with a colonnade and a shopping arcade, and to the southwest, on higher ground, the Kleiner Schlossplatz (1968), with shops and restaurants.
At the northeast corner of the Schlossplatz is the Kunstgebäude (built 1912-13; rebuilt 1956-61), which houses the Municipal Art Gallery and periodic special exhibitions.
Address: Schlossplatz 2, D-70173 Stuttgart, Germany
Dominating the Schlossplatz is the New Palace (Neues Schloss), now occupied by the Ministries of Education and Finance, with three wings built round a courtyard (1746-1807; rebuilt 1959-62).
To the southwest of the Schlossplatz, on the Planie, is the massive bulk of the Old Palace (Altes Schloss; by A. Tretsch, 1553-78; rebuilt 1948-69), with a picturesque arcaded courtyard. It now houses the Württemberg Landesmuseum (medieval collection; applied art, religious and secular; the Württemberg crown jewels; watches and clocks, astronomical and musical instruments, costume of various periods, archaeological finds, etc.). In the south wing is the palace church (1560-62).
Address: Schillerplatz 6, D-70197 Stuttgart, Germany
Flanking the Old Palace is Schillerplatz (underground parking lot), with a monument to Schiller by Thorvaldsen. On the northeast side of the square is the Alte Kanzlei (Old Chancery; ca. 1500).On the northwest side stands the Prinzenbau (begun in 1605 by Schickhardt, finished a hundred years later by Matthias Weiss), which during the reign of Duke Eberhard Ludwig (1677-1733) was the residence of his heir, Prince Friedrich Ludwig; it is now occupied by the Ministry of Justice. On the southwest side of the square is the old Fruchtkasten (Granary; 1390) and adjoining it the choir of the Stiftskirche.
The Stiftskirche (Protestant), with its two very different towers, was founded in the 12th C. and rebuilt in Late Gothic style in the 15th C. by Aberlin Jörg and others; reconsecrated in 1958 after the repair of heavy war damage. In the choir can be seen a magnificent series of 11 Renaissance figures of Counts of Württemberg by Simon Schlör (1576-1608).
A little way south of Schillerplatz is the Marktplatz, with the Town Hall (Rathaus, 1956; carillon, Ratskeller, 61m/200ft high tower).
On the southern edge of old Stuttgart, in Eberhardstrasse, are the Tagblatt-Turm (1927-28; 61m/200ft high) and the "Kultur unterm Turm" cultural center (theater, periodic exhibitions).
To the south of the Tagblatt Tower lies the large complex of the Schwabenzentrum (Swabian Center; 1980), with shops, shopping arcades and quiet little courtyards with restaurants. Beyond the broad Hauptstätter Strasse is St Leonard's Church (Leonhardskirche; 15th C.).
Address: Robert-Koch-Strasse 12, D-70563 Stuttgart, Germany
North of St Leonard's Church, just before Charlottenplatz, on the right, is the Bohnenviertel, a part of the old town of Stuttgart which has been rebuilt in modern style. At Kanalstrasse 4 can be found the Writers' House (Schriftstellerhaus), a forum for discussions between writers from Germany and other countries and for encounters between authors and readers.
Konrad Adenauer Strasse
In Charlottenplatz, with its constant flow of traffic (underpass, on several levels, for road traffic, trams and pedestrians), is the Wilhelmspalais (built by Salucci in 1840, burned down 1944, rebuilt 1964-65), residence of the last King of Württemberg, William II, now housing a collection of material on the history of the town and the Municipal Library (Städtische Bibliothek). From here Konrad-Adenauer-Strasse runs northeast. On the right-hand side is the Landesbibliothek (Provincial Library; 1970), and farther along the street, on the left, are the Landtag (1960-61), the parliament of Baden-Württemberg (on the right, offices for members of the Landtag, 1984-87), and the State Theater (Staatstheater), an effective group consisting of two buildings originally erected by Max Littmann in 1907-12. The Grosses Haus (opera) is still Littmann's building; the Kleines Haus (theater) is a new building erected in 1960-62 to replace the original which was destroyed during the war.
The State Gallery is one of the finest art collections in the Federal Republic. The section devoted to 20th C. paintings enjoys an international reputation. The original building, or Old Gallery, was designed by Gottlob Georg Barth in Neo-classical U-Bahnstyle and built in 1838-42; originally consisting of three wings set round a forecourt, it was enlarged in 1881-88 by the addition of two wings at the back. In the forecourt is an equestrian statue of King Wilhelm 1.Adjoining the Old Gallery to the south is James Stirling's New Gallery, faced with travertine (1977-83), a masterpiece of contemporary architecture. The central feature of the new building is a rotunda, which is enclosed by three wings with roofs designed to admit the maximum of light.Only a selection of outstanding works from this rich collection can be mentioned.Beyond the Old Building, to the right, can be seen the entrance to the 824m/900yd long Wagenburg Tunnel, which carries traffic to the eastern districts of the town.
Address: Konrad-Adenauer-Strasse 30-32, D-70173 Stuttgart, Germany
European Painting 20th C.
Baselitz, "Eagle"; Baumeister, "Primeval Figures", "Gilgamesh Cycle"; Beckman, "Self-Portrait with Red Shawl", "Peruvian Soldier drinking"; Braque, "Violin"; de Chirico, "Metaphysical Interior with Factory"; Dalí, "The Sublime Moment"; Dix, "Match-Seller"; Dubuffet, "Porte Paysanne"; Duchamp, "Study for a Chocolate-Mill"; Ernst, "Sainte Cécilie"; Grosz, "Funeral"; Hodler, "Return from Marignano"; Kandinsky, "Improvisation 9"; Kiefer, "The World Ash"; Kirchner, "Berlin Street"; Klee, "Red Houses on Hill", "Music Underground"; Klein, "Monochrome Bleu"; Kokoschka, "Woman in Blue"; Léger, "Playing Cards"; Matisse, "Woman at her Toilet"; Mondrian, "Composition in Red and Blue"; Munch, "Four girls"; Nolde, "Dancers"; Picasso, "Artistes", "Violin", "Seated Woman"; Schlemmer, "Plan with Figures", "Railings"; Wols, "Composition".
20th C. Sculpture
Andre, "Steel Bar"; Arp, "Star Navel"; Beuys, "dernier espace"; Calder, "Mobile"; Giacometti, "Standing Woman"; Hanson, "Charwoman"; Kienholz, "The Birthday' I ; Kricke, "Large F VI"; Lehmbruck, "Climbing Youth"; Lipchitz, "Head"; Maillol, "Head of Venus"; Merz, "Double Igloo"; Moore, "Helmeted Head 2"; Schlemmer, "Triadic Ballet"; Segal, "Girl sitting against a Wall"; Serra, "Dead"; Tinguely, "The Electro-ironic Brain"; Picasso, "Bathers"; Rodin, "Iris"; Ruckriem, "Dolomite".
European Painting 19th C.
Burne-Jones, "Perseus Cycle"; Cézanne, "Bathers in Front of Tent"; Corinth, "Self-Portrait"; Corot, "Girl with Red Flower" Courbet, "Madame Maquet"; Delacroix, "Indian Woman attacked by a Tiger"; Feuerbach, "lphigenia"; Friedrich, "Bohemian Landscape"; Gauguin, "Where are you going?"; Liebermann, "Old Men's Home"; Monet, "Fields in Spring"; Renoir, "Madame Choquet".
Some 300,000 items: drawings of all periods, printed graphics. The collection is particularly strong in the following fields: the Baroque period in Bologna and Genoa; Giambattista and Domenico Tiepolo; Max Kade Collection of older printed graphics; international graphic art of the 20th C.; French illustrated books; Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) posters.
Prague Altar, from St Vitus's Chapel, Muhlhausen; Pfullendorf Altar; Zeitblom, "St Florian"; Ratgeb, Herrenberg Altar;Holbein the Elder, "Madonna with Donor"; Cranach the Elder, "Judith".
American Painting since 1945
Newman, "Who's afraid of Red, Yellow and Blue?"; Pollock, "Out of the Web"; Rauschenberg, "Spot"; Reinhardt, "Abstract Painting"; Warhol, "Peach Halves".
Dutch and Flemish Paintings
Memling, "Bathsheba in her Bath"; Hals, "half-Length Portrait of a Man"; Rembrandt, "Paul in Prison"; Rubens, "Old Lady with Child"; Ruisdael, "Egmond aan Zee".
Erbach Panels ("Apocalypse", by an unknown Neapolitan master); Canaletto, "View of the Brenta from Dolo"; Carpaccio, "Stoning of St Stephen".
Hetsch, "Mother of the Gracchi"; Schick, "Frau von Cotta".
Carl Zeiss Planetarium
Along the west side of Konrad-Adenauer-Strasse and Neckarstrasse the Schlossgarten extends from the New Palace to the Neckar in Berg and Bad Cannstatt. In the Oberer Schlossgarten (Upper Garden), diagonally opposite the Wagenburg Tunnel, are the Landespavillon (exhibitions) and the Planetarium. Beyond this are pretty little lakes, sculptures and the "Berger Sprudler" (mineral spring).The Planetarium contains Zeiss VI-A which was installed in 1977. Its dome measures 20 meters.
Address: Neckarstrasse 47, D-70173 Stuttgart, Germany
State Factory Inspectorate
In the northwestern part of central Stuttgart, near the Ministry of Economic Development, is the Haus der Wirtschaft (State Factory Inspectorate, Stuttgart Design Center, etc.). In the Stadtgarten is the University of Technology.
Address: Theodor-Heuss-Strasse 4, D-70174 Stuttgart, Germany
West of the Haus der Wirtschaft stands the Liederhalle, a concert hall. In nearby Hegelplatz is the Linden Museum of Ethnography (Museum für Völkerkunde).
Address: Hegelplatz 1, D-70174 Stuttgart, Germany
Above Stuttgart to the north, near the Academy of Fine Art, is the Weissenhof, a pioneering and influential housing development, built in 1927 for an exhibition by the Werkbund, a group of leading international architects, including Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe and Gropius.
Near the Weissenhof lies Killesberg Park, laid out from 1937 onwards, with exhibition halls used by the Stuttgart Trade Fair, a congress center, a chair-lift and a summer theater.
Natural Museum of Nature Sciences
In the Berg district on the left bank of the Neckar stands Schloss Rosenstein (1824-29), which together with the Museum am Löwentor (1984) houses the State Museum of Natural History.There are two museums here of nature sciences. One is devoted to biology and the evolution of living species. The other is devoted to the origins of the earth with exhibits of fossils, dinosaurs, and Ice Age man.
Address: Rosenstein 1, D-70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Wilhelma Zoological and Botanic Garden
Below Schloss Rosenstein is the Wilhelma Zoological and Botanic Garden (named after a little Moorish-style palace built in 1842-53), beautifully laid out, with hothouses, animal houses and enclosures and an aquarium.
Address: Wilhelma 13, D-70376 Stuttgart, Germany
On the right bank of the Neckar lies the old district of Bad Cannstatt, with the Kursaal (two mineral springs; restaurant) and the Kurpark. At Taubenheimstrasse 13 was the workshop of Gottlieb Daimler (memorial museum). On the Cannstatter Wasen (Meadows), the scene of the annual Spring and Folk Festival, are the large Neckar Stadium and the Hanns Martin Schleyer Hall, one of the most modern sports halls in Europe.
Hohenheim, situated on the Filder Plateau above the stream of Körsch, south of the city center, was already the seat of a noble family in medieval times.Within the region of Hohenheim, the primary attractions are the Palace and the Botanic Gardens.
The Neckar Stadium, Stuttgart's largest sports arena, with accomodation for 70,600 spectators, was built in 1933 (architect, Paul Bonatz) for the German Gymnastics Festival, enlarged for the Gymnastics Festival of 1973 and further improved for the world football championship matches in 1974.
The Porsche Museum displays its history of sports car manufacturing with 20 famous racing and sports cars. Facts about the auto industry and other vehicles are also highlighted.
Address: Porscheplatz 1, D-70435 Stuttgart, Germany
German Agricultural Museum
The German Agricultural Museum is located in Stuttgart. Exhibits highlight the rural agricultural industry with agricultural equipment and other special exhibitions.
Address: Garbenstrasse 9, D-70593 Stuttgart, Germany
The Hoppenlau Cemetray, Stuttgart's olderst surviving cemetary, lies between the Liederhalle and the Linden Museum.
Southwest of Stuttgart is the Birkenkopf (511m/1,677ft), a hill built up after the Second World War from the rubble of destroyed buildings (view).
On the Hoher Bopser (481m/1,578ft), a wooded hill in the south of Stuttgart, rises the Television Tower (Fernsehturm; 217m/712ft high including the aerial), with a restaurant at 150m/490ft and above it a viewing platform.This was the first tv tower to be built of reinforced concrete.
Address: Jahnstrasse 120, D-70597 Stuttgart, Germany
In the eastern district of Untertürkheim is the Daimler-Benz Museum, which gives a comprehensive survey of the development of car manufacture. Between Untertürkheim and Obertürkheim extends the Neckar Harbor.
Address: Mercedesstrasse 100, D-70372 Stuttgart, Germany
On the Württemberg, near Obertürkheim, can be found the burial chapel of Queen Katharina (d. 1819), a domed rotunda in neo-classical style; fine views.
Address: Schillerplatz 6, D-70173 Stuttgart, Germany
In the northern district of Zuffenhausen are the Porsche works (museum, with racing and sports cars).
10km/6mi west of the city center stands Schloss Solitude, built for Duke Karl Eugen in 1763-67, with fine state apartments. An international art academy was established in the subsidiary buildings in 1990.This 18th century palace has recently been turned into a world class restaurant. The master chef attending the restaurant of Solitude is Chef Gerd Hammes.
Address: Kavaliersbau Haus No 2, D-70499 Stuttgart, Germany
Statue of Kepler, Weil der Stadt, Germany
The statue of Johannes Kepler commemorates the facts that the famous scientist is a native of Weil der Stadt.
This exceptional museum gives a detailed portrayal of Kepler's life along with a thoughtful perspective on his work in its broader context. The Kepler Museum was the birthplace of the noted astronomer and mathematician featuring his documents, models and writings.
Address: Keplergasse 2, D-71263 Weil der Stadt, Germany
Stuttgart hosts several events during the year.
J.S. Bach Summer Academy
The annual three-week festival, J.S. Bach Summer Academy, runs from mid-August to early September and includes both concerts and courses. The repertoire does not focus exclusively on Bach, and often includes works by Brahms and other famous composers. The performances take place in the Liederhalle, the Stiftskirche, the Leonhardskirche, Neues Schloss, and St Eberhard Church.
Address: Internationale Bachademie Stuttgart, Johann Sebastian Bach Platz, D-70178 Stuttgart, Germany
popular right now