Nuremberg Tourist Attractions
Durer House, Nuremberg View slideshowThe ancient and famous town of Nürnberg (Nuremberg), once a free imperial city, lies in the well-wooded plain of the Middle Franconian Basin, on the river Pegnitz and the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal (the "Europa-Kanal"), making it Germany's newest port. It is the second-largest city in Bavaria and one of the leading industrial and commercial centers in South Germany.
St Lawrence Side
The Lorenzer Seite (St Lawrence Side) of Nuremberg (named after its principal church, St Lorenz) is the district on the south side of the Pegnitz. The hub of the city's traffic is the Bahnhofsplatz, to the southeast of the town, round which are the railroad station, the head post office, the Frauentorturm and the Handwerkerhof Alt Nürnberg (half-timbered houses with traditional craft workshops).
The Lorenzer Seite (named after its principal church, St Lorenz) is the district on the south side of the Pegnitz in Nuremberg. The hub of the city's traffic is the Bahnhofsplatz, to the southeast of the town, round which are the railroad station (Hauptbahnhof), the Head Post Office, the Frauentorturm and the Handwerkerhof Alt Nürnberg (half-timbered houses with traditional craft workshops).
From Bahnhofsplatz, the busy Königstrasse runs northwest into the old town of Nuremberg. On the right is the 14th C. St Martha's Church (Marthakirche; fine stained glass), in which the master singers held their singing schools between 1578 and 1620. Farther along on the left can be seen the Mauthalle, an old corn and salt store (1498-1512). Beyond this is a pedestrian zone leading to Lorenzer Platz, with St Lawrence's Church.
National Germanic Museum
The National Germanic Museum in Nuremberg exhibits artifacts of German art and culture. These include a coin collection, paintings, archives and decorative arts.
Immediately south of the National Germanic Museum in Nuremberg, outside the old town walls (entrance in Lessingstrasse), is the Transport Museum (Verkehrsmuseum; railroads, postal services).It contains a display on the history of railroads with a large collection of scale models as well as a variety of interactive games and experiments.
Address: Lessingstrasse 6, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany
The Frauentorgraben runs west, parallel to the southern section of the town walls of Nuremberg, to the Plärrer, a major traffic intersection. At No. 41 is the Nicolaus Copernicus Planetarium. From here the Spittlertor leads into the southwestern part of the old town.
Near the Spittlertor, along Ludwigstrasse in Nuremberg, is Jakobsplatz, with the 14th C. St James's Church (Jakobskirche; Protestant). On the north side of the square is St Elizabeth's Church (R.C.), a domed church built between 1785 and 1806.From here Ludwigstrasse (now a pedestrian zone) and its continuation Karolinenstrasse lead to Lorenzer Platz (also reached direct from the station by way of Königstrasse).
St Lawrence's Church
From the bridges over the Pegnitz in Nuremberg, particularly the Maxbrücke, the Weinstadel bridge and the Henkersteg, there are fine views of the old town.
St Sebaldus Side
The St Sebaldus Side of Nuremberg contains a variety of attractions including a market, several churches (dating back to the Renaissance and Medieval periods), a toy museum and the well-preserved town walls.
Church of Our Lady
On the north side of the Hauptmarkt in Nuremberg can be found the new Town Hall (Rathaus; 1954). Behind it, to the north, is the old building (by Jakob Wolff, 1616-22; magnificent doorways on west side); under it are the old dungeons and torture chamber (which can be visited). Between the two buildings is the famous Gänsemännchen fountain (c. 1555), depicting the figure of a Franconian peasant carrying two geese, with the water flowing from their beaks.
Nurenberg - Christmas Market
Each year for about two weeks before Christmas, Nurenberg becomes Christmas City. The marketplace is transformed by stands selling ornaments, Christmas foods and specialties and gifts. Given that the area is the center of the glass ornament industry in Germany, the decorations for sale often qualify as works of art. The city of Nurenberg comes alive with events, children's programs, and festival lighting.
St Sebaldus's Church
To the west of the Town Hall in Nuremberg is St Sebaldus's Church (1225-73; Protestant), with a magnificent Gothic east choir (1379). On the outside of the choir is the Schreyer-Landauer tomb, a masterpiece by Adam Krafft (1492). Inside the church, on a pillar in the north aisle, can be seen the "Madonna in an Aureole" (1420-25). In the east choir is the famous tomb of St Sebaldus (1508-19), a masterpiece of the bronze-founder's art by Peter Vischer and his sons (silver sarcophagus of 1397 containing the saint's remains; on the east end Peter Vischer with his leather apron and chisel). Behind the tomb is a moving Crucifixion group by Veit Stoss (1507 and 1520). There is also an organ with 6,000 pipes.
To the west of St Sebaldus's Church, at Karlstrasse 13-15, is the Nürnberg Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum), with toys from many different countries and periods and a large model railroad layout.
Address: Karlstrasse 13-15, D-90403 Nuremberg, Germany
Address: Albrecht-Dürer-Strasse 39, D-90480 Nuremberg, Germany
In Burgstrasse, which leads up from the Town Hall to the Burg in Nuremberg, is the late 16th C. Fembohaus (No. 15, on left), the town's best preserved old patrician house, now occupied by the Heimatmuseum (domestic interiors, history of the town).
Address: Burgstrasse 15, D-90402 Nuremberg, Germany
To the north of the old town of Nuremberg rises the Burg (alt. 351m/1,152ft; 220m/240yds long, 50m/165ft across). All legitimate German kings and emperors from 1050 to 1571 resided in the castle, and many imperial diets were held here. At the lower end are the old imperial stables (Kaiserstallung), built in 1495 as a granary and now occupied by a youth hostel. Immediately west of this is the Pentagonal Tower, the oldest building in the town (c. 1040), a relic of an earlier castle on the site. Higher up is the Kaiserburg (Imperial Castle), built in the 11th century and much altered in later centuries, with the Sinwell Tower (panoramic views) and the "Deep Well." The castle (conducted visit) has a number of fine rooms, including the 12th century chapel, and contains some notable works of art.
St Giles' Church
In Egidienplatz, near the east end of the Sebalder Seite in Nuremberg, stands St Giles' Church (Egidienkirche; 1711-18), Nürnberg's only Baroque church. In the Gothic Tetzel Chapel is the Landauer tomb by Adam Krafft.The Municipal Library, opposite the church to the northwest, incorporates the arcades of the Pellerhaus (1605) which stood on this site.
In Hans-Sachs-Platz in Nuremberg, can be seen a monument to the cobbler and master singer Hans Sachs (1495-1576), whose workshop was near here. On the south side of the square, spanning an arm of the Pegnitz, is the Heilig-Geist-Spital (Hospital of the Holy Ghost), founded in 1331, in the courtyard of which is a Crucifixion group by Adam Krafft.From here the Spitalbrücke leads on to the island of Schütte, between two arms of the Pegnitz, with the 14th century Männerschuldturm ("Men's Fault" Tower). To the southeast are the Katharinenbau and the Natural History Museum.
Eastern and Southeastern Districts
The Eastern and Southeastern Districts of Nuremberg are home to a zoo, concert hall, telecommunications tower and a resort area.
On the east side of Nuremberg, at the Schmausenbuck, is the Tiergarten (Zoo), with a dolphinarium.The Nuremberg Zoo is home to over 2,000 animals representing 300 species. The dolphinarium houses seven dolphins and five sea lions.
Address: Am Tiergarten 30, D-90480 Nuremberg, Germany
To the southeast of Nuremberg is the Luitpoldhain, with the Meistersingerhalle (concert hall, congress center). Farther south are the Dutzendteich park, with a number of small lakes, and the remains of the Reichsparteitaggelände, the arena built for Nazi party rallies.
Nuremberg Telecommunications Tower
Near the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal in the Schweinau district of Nuremberg rises the 282m/925ft high Telecommunications Tower (1980; viewing platform, revolving restaurant).
In Stein, on the west side of Nürnberg, is the Palm Beach "Leisure Paradise" (indoor and outdoor swimming pools, water-chute, sauna, solarium, etc.).
St Johannis Cemetery
In the northwestern suburb of St Johannis in Nuremberg can be found the St Johannis Cemetery, with the graves of many notable citizens of Nürnberg, including Dürer, Veit Stoss, the humanist Willibald Pirkheimer and Hans Sachs.
The Nuremberg U-Bahn was opened in 1972 and is made up of 2 lines with 23.2km of track. There are 46 stations, 26 of which are underground.The system serves about 90 million people yearly with a rolling stock of 75 two-car sets. There are 12 additional two-car sets on order. During peak hours trains run every 3.3 mins.
Old Town Festival
The Old Town Festival is an annual festival, one of the biggest musical and folk festivals in Germany. The 10 day festival takes place in mid-September, in Nuremberg, and features a full program of 60 events. The repertoire includes folk, jazz, pop, rock and many other styles of contemporary music.
International Organ Weeks
International Organ Weeks runs from late June to mid-July and is one of Europe's oldest celebrations of sacred music. Since its inception in 1951, it has offered over 40 annual performances, including choral concerts, organ recitals and seminars. A contest for organ improvisation runs concurrently with the festival. The grand organs in St Egidien Church, St Sebald Church and Meistersingen Hall are among those featured during various performances.
Address: Lorenzer Platz 10a, D-90402 Nuremberg, Germany
Nicolai Copernicus Planetarium
The Nicolai Copernicus Planetarium in Nurnberg contains a jenoptik ZKP 2 which was installed in 1986. Its dome measures 8 meters.
Address: Am Plärrer 41, D-90429 Nuremberg, Germany
9km/6mi north of Nürnberg is Schloss Neunhof, a moated castle first mentioned in the records in 1246, which is the best preserved of the mansions of Nürnberg patricians (of which there were originally about sixty around the town). In the castle is a Hunting Museum.
15km/9mi south of Nürnberg we come to Schwabach. Handsome old half-timbered houses in the Markt; Late Gothic Town Church (15th C.), with a 13m/43ft high tabernacle of 1505 and a high altar of 1508 (altarpiece of the school of Michael Wolgemut, carving possibly by Veit Stoss).
Erlangen lies a few kilometers north of Nürnberg at the junction of the Schwabach with the Regnitz. Long famous as a university town, it has preserved its Baroque aspect.
Erlangen's Schloss (1700-04) has been occupied since 1825 by the Frederick Alexander University, which was originally founded in Bayreuth and was transferred to Erlangen in 1743. It was amalgamated in 1961 with the Nürnberg College of Economic and Social Sciences. To the rear of the building extends the Schlossgarten, partly in French and partly in English style, with the curious Huguenot Fountain and the beautiful Orangery (both 1706). On the north side of the gardens are the Botanic Garden and the Margravial Theater (1715; restored 1959). On the north side is the University Library, which possesses valuable manuscripts and works of graphic art (including self-portraits of Dürer and Grünewald).
Address: Postfach 3520, D-91023 Erlangen, Germany
In Erlangen's old town are the three principal Protestant churches - the Hugenottenkirche (Huguenot Church; 1686-93), the Neustädterkirche (New Town Church; 1723-37) and the Dreifaltigkeitskirche or Altstädterkirche (Trinity Church, Old Town Church; 1709-21). The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus; 1731-36), adjoining Trinity Church, now houses the Municipal Museum (history of the town since the Middle Ages).
In Erlangen's southeastern district of Tennenlohe is the Forest Museum, opened in 1975 (forestry equipment; exhibitions on ecological themes). Attached to the museum is an exhibition area.
In the Marktplatz (Schlossplatz) in Erlangen are two handsome Baroque buildings: the Stutternheim Palace (1728-30), now housing the Municipal Museum and Art Gallery, and the Schloss, the old Margravial Palace.
More on PlanetWare