Cathedral Church of Our Lady, Munich Frauenkirche
The Munich Frauenkirche has been the cathedral and metropolitan church of the South Bavarian ecclesiastical provinces since the establishment of the archbishopric of Munich and Freising in 1821.This brick-built Late Gothic church owes its impact to its great size (109m/358ft by 40m/131ft), its high walls, its clear articulation and its lack of ornament.
Cathedral Church of Our Lady Map
Transit: S-Bahn: S1-S7 (Karlsplatz, Marienplatz) U-Bahn: U4, U5 (Karlsplatz/Stachus); U3, U6 (Marienplatz).
Cathedral Church of Our Lady Highlight
The interior of this aisled hall-church, with 22 tall octagonal pillars in two rows, was remodelled in Renaissance style in 1601 but reconverted to a Gothic design in 1858. As rebuilt after its destruction in the last war it has a simply conceived but very effective whitewash interior.Viewed from the porch the aisles and side windows are invisible, the octagonal pillars of the nave having the appearance of a wall; at one time the window of the choir was also obscured by the high altar. Legend has it that the Devil came to inspect the church after its completion and was so delighted that the windows had been forgotten that he stamped his foot, leaving a print in the porch that can still be seen.In going round the church the following features should not be missed.PorchLarger than life-size figure of St Christopher in wood (c. 1520).North tower chapelRelief of the Virgin and the patron (c. 1475); Tulbeck Tomb (1476).Apollonia ChapelEpitaph to Cardinal Döpfner by Hans Wimmer (1981).St Lantpert's ChapelRe-worked Gothic figures of the Apostles and Prophets in wood from the former choir stalls, by Erasmus Grasser. Imposing marble triptych of the patrician Barth family.Chapel of the Seven Sorrows"The Seven Sorrows of Mary", a stained glass window by the modern artist Gitzinger (1959). Tombstone of the first chaplain, Dr Balthasar Hundertpfund.Ecco Homo ChapelThe chapel, probably dating from the early 17th C., is by an unknown master. Epitaphian diptych from the workshop of Hans Krumper (ca. 1620).Sacristy entranceAltarpiece of the Assumption by Peter Candid (1620), previously on the high altar.Pope Pius' ChapelOn the altar, a mosaic of Pope Pius X by Sepp Frank (1960).Chapel of St Anne and St George"St Anne with Mary and the infant Jesus" (c. 1520); monumental 16th C. figures of SS Rasso and George; stained glass window depicting the Annunciation (c. 1500).Sacramental chapelExceptional paintings from the Memminger altar by Strigel (ca. 1500). Altar, tabernacle, ambo, clergy seats and benches by Max Faller (1984). Stained glass window of the martyrdom of St Catherine (also c. 1500).St Sebastian's ChapelWinged retable "The Baptism of Christ" by Friedrich Pacher (1483; wing panels by Jan Polack). Fine stained glass.Main choir chapel"Virgin of Mercy" with the patrons, the Sanftl family from Munich, by Jan Polack (c. 1500); stained glass by Peter Hemmel of Andlau (1493); reliefs by Ignaz Günther (1774).CryptTombs of Archbishop Michael Cardinal Faulhaber (d. 1952), Joseph Cardinal Wendel (d. 1960) and Julius Cardinal Döpfner (d. 1976); memorial plaque to members of the Wittelsbach family buried near by.Old sacra-mental chapelRood altar (c. 1445); window with the life and suffering of Christ (ca. 1480); Bürgermeister Karl Ligsalz's window (The Three Kings; ca. 1425).Chapel of the Sacred Heart of JesusAltar of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (modern) by Max Lachner; late 15th c. stained glass.Chapel of the ImmaculataBronze Immaculata by Elmar Dietz (1959); tombstone of the patrician Ligsalz family (14th C.).St Benno's ChapelReliquaries and a silver bust of St Benno (1601); stained glass with scenes from the life of St Agnes and St Sebastian (15th C.)BaptisteryBaroque font in red marble with, above, an early 14th C. Sorrowing Christ.Chapel of the MagiAltarpiece of the Magi by Ulrich Loth (1628); Late Gothic stained glass.Bakers' ChapelFigure of St Nicholas, probably by Erasmus Grasser (ca. 1500); the Miracle of the Loaves in stained glass by Robert Rabolt (1959).St Andrew's ChapelWing panels of Late Gothic altar by Jan Polack; memorial to the Mandl family (1655).Chapel of the Mater DolorosaThe Salzburg Mater Dolorosa (c. 1400).Commemorative Chapel of the Eucharist. World Congress 1960Epitaph to Cardinal Joseph Wendel by the artist Hans Wimmer; also fine stained glass by Robert Rabold (1964).Tomb of the Emperor Ludwig the BavarianFree-standing monument (1619-22) in black marble by Hans Krumper, with magnificent bronze figures of Dukes Wilhelm IV and Albrecht V, also by Krumper, and, at the four corners, armour-clad standard-bearers by Hubert Gerhard (1595).South tower chapelTomb of Jörg Halspach (known as Ganghofer), architect of the Frauenkirche; 15th C. stained glass.NavePulpit by Blasius Spreng (1957).ChoirHigh altar, ambo, by Hubert Elsässer (1971); cross in choir arch by Josef Henselmann (1954; busts and statues by Erasmus Grasser, 1502).
More Cathedral Church of Our Lady Pictures
Map of Munich Attractions