Ulm Tourist Attractions, Germany
Ulm View slideshowSituation and characteristicsThe old imperial city of Ulm, on the left bank of the Danube, is the economic and cultural center of Upper Württemberg and the starting point of the Upper Swabian Baroque Highway. It has long been an important commercial and industrial town, and it now also has a university (founded 1967).
In the center of Ulm stands the Minster, Germany's largest Gothic church after Cologne Cathedral (1377-1529 and 1844-90; Protestant). The soaring spire (ascent recommended, but arduous; magnificent views, extending in clear weather to the Alps), begun by Ulrich von Ensingen in 1392 and finally completed in 1880-90 on the basis of a sketch left by Matthias Böblinger, is the tallest church spire in the world (161m/528ft, compared with Cologne Cathedral's 157m/515ft). In the interior are fine choir-stalls (1469-74) by Jörg Syrlin the Elder.The Münsterplatz is being altered to a design by the American architect Richard Meier.After climbing to the top level at 143m there is a panoramic view of Ulm in Baden-Württemberg and Neu-Ulm in Bavaria and, in clear weather, a vista of the Alps from Säntis to the Zugspitze. The final stairwell to the top (knownas the 3rd Gallery) is a tall, spiraling staircase that has barely enough room for one person.
Address: Münsterplatz, D-89073 Ulm, Germany
To the south of the Minster in the Marktplatz is the handsome Gothic Town Hall (Rathaus; restored after wartime destruction), with frescoes of 1540. In front of the Town Hall can be seen the beautiful fountain known as the Fischkasten (fish-tank) by Jörg Syrlin the Elder, 1482.
On the east side of the Marktplatz (No. 9) is the Ulm Museum, which has the finest collection of Upper Swabian art and culture since the Middle Ages.
Address: Marktplatz 9, D-89073 Ulm, Germany
Around the mouth of the river Blau, which flows into the Danube here, is Ulm's very picturesque and skillfully restored Fischerviertel, the old fishermen's and tanners' quarter.
Along the Danube, most of Ulm's 15th C town walls have been preserved, with the Metzgerturm (Butchers' Tower), a leaning tower which is several feet off the vertical.
In the southwest of Ulm, at Fürsteneckerstrasse 17, is the German Bread Museum (Deutsches Brotmuseum; history of bread and of baking).The Bread Museum examines the history of bread making around the world from ancient to modern times.
Address: Salzstadelgasse 10, D-89073 Ulm, Germany
Between 1852 and 1867, Ulm was surrounded by a 9km/6mi long ring of fortifications, with several forts and 41 major defensive works. The Oberer Kuhberg fort became a concentration camp during the Nazi period (memorial).
Wiblingen - Monastery
In Ulm's southern district of Wiblingen is a large Benedictine monastery founded in the 11th C. and dissolved in 1803, with a magnificent Baroque church (1780; sculpture by Januarius Zick) and a sumptuously decorated Library.
Ulm is located where the Danube stream becomes a river and once a year pays tribute to the waters with a fishing festival. This 10-day festival takes place in late July and includes a traditional procession near the river, a "Fishermen's Jousting Match," and other traditional festivities.
Situation and characteristicsThe Bavarian town of Neu-Ulm lies opposite Ulm on the right bank of the Danube. Founded only in 1811, it was until the First World War mainly a garrison town.
Set in gardens on the banks of the Danube in Neu-Ulm (good view of Ulm) stands Edwin-Scharff-Haus, a cultural and congress center (1977), with a small gallery of works by the artist Edwin Scharff (1877-1955). In front of the building is a reproduction of a typical Danube boat.
In the town center of Neu-Ulm is the Heimatmuseum.
Address: Hermann-Köhl-Strasse 12, D-89231 Neu-Ulm, Germany
10km/6mi northeast of Ulm, on the southern fringe of the Swabian Alb, is Oberelchingen, with the remains of a monastery founded about 1000; fine church, remodeled in Baroque style.
Some 21km/13mi down the Danube valley from Ulm, at the junction with the Günz, lies the little town of Günzburg, with a large Renaissance Schloss (16th C.) and the beautiful Liebfrauenkirche (by Dominikus Zimmermann, 1736-39).
More on PlanetWare