Follow Us:

Bamberg Tourist Attractions

Bamberg, the old imperial and episcopal city and the most important town in Upper Franconia, lies on the western edge of a wide basin in the valley of the Regnitz (here divided into two arms) which flows into the Main, 7km/4.5mi downstream. The oldest part is the episcopal town on the high west bank of the left arm of the river, with the Cathedral and the old Benedictine abbey of Michaelsberg. The "Bürgerstadt" (borough) lies on the flat ground between the two arms of the Regnitz. Bamberg is a university town, and its symphony orchestra has an international reputation. The town has a river port on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal. The industrial zone (principally engineering, textiles, electrical apparatus and appliances) lies to the east of the town.

Grüner Markt

The long Grüner Markt in Bamberg is a pedestrian zone.
There are many historic buildings that line the square including the Church of St. Martin, and St. Catherine Hospital and Seminary.

St Martin's Church

Interior of St Martin church in Bamberg.
The Baroque church of St Martin in Bamberg was built between 1686 and 1691.
Address: An der Universität 2, D-96047 Bamberg, Germany


The Bürgerstadt in Bamberg is the borough which developed between the two arms of the Regnitz. It contains the Grüner Markt (pedestrian zone), with the Baroque church of St Martin (1686-91) and, to the north, the New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus; 1733-36). Nearby is the well-stocked Natural History Museum.

New Town Hall

The New Town Hall in Bamberg was built between 1733 and 1736.

Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum in Bamberg is well-stocked.
The collection on display was found in 1791 and has been added to regularly. The exhibits at the Natural History Museum deal with geology, mineralogy and soil science as well as with indigenous mammals and fossils.
Address: Fleischstrasse 2, D-96047 Bamberg, Germany

Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall in Bamberg.
The Obere Brücke (Upper Bridge) in Bamberg has attractive views to the right of Klein-Venedig (Little Venice; old fishermen's houses). In the middle of the bridge is the Old Town Hall (rebuilt by J. M. Küchel in 1744-56). Its unusual situation reflects the fact that it served both the Bürgerstadt and the episcopal town on their different sides of the river.

Schloss Geyerswörth

The old castle of Geyerswörth (1585-87) in Bamberg was once a stronghold of the Prince-Bishops.


The E.-T.-A.-Hoffman-Haus in Bamberg is the one in which the writer lived from 1809 to 1813.

Karl May Museum

The Karl May Museum in Bamberg commemorates the 19th C. writer of adventure stories.
Exhibits include some of his original works and furnishings from his house.

Bamberg Cathedral

Towers of 13th c Bamberg Cathedral.
The early 13th century Bamberg Cathedral has four towers. On the north side is the Fürstentor (Prince's Doorway), the principal entrance, with figures of apostles and prophets and a relief of the Last Judgment in the tympanum. On the south side of the east choir is the Adamspforte (Adam's Doorway; statues now in the Diocesan Museum), on the north side the Marienpforte or Gnadenpforte (Virgin's Doorway), with the Cathedral's oldest sculpture (c. 1210).
In the interior of the Cathedral, in front of the east choir (Georgenchor, St George's Choir), is the tomb (by Tilman Riemenschneider, 1499-1513) of the Emperor Henry II (d. 1024) and his wife Kunigunde (d. 1039). On the left-hand pier of the choir is the figure of the famous Bamberger Reiter or Bamberg Horseman (c. 1240), who is traditionally identified as King Stephen of Hungary (St Stephen/Szt István), Henry's brother-in-law. On the outside of the stone choir screen are figures of the twelve apostles and twelve prophets; on a pillar between the prophets are Mary and Elizabeth; and on the side with the apostles are allegorical figures of Church and Synagogue (by the sculptor who carved the Horseman). In the east crypt is the modern sandstone sarcophagus of King Conrad III (d. 1152 in Bamberg). In the west choir (St Peter's Choir) can be seen the marble tomb of Pope Clement II (d. 1047), previously Bishop of Bamberg - the only Papal tomb in Germany (c. 1235). On the west wall of the south transept is the Bamberg Altar (1520-23), by Veit Stoss.

Diocesan Museum

The Diocesan Museum in Bamberg contains the rich cathedral treasury, precious vestments (including Henry II's imperial robes) and the statues from the Adamspforte.
Address: Domplatz 5, D-96049 Bamberg, Germany

Alte Hofhaltung

The Alte Hofhaltung or Alte Residenz in Bamberg is one of the finest creations of the German Renaissance, built as the Bishop's palace in 1571-76. It now houses the Historical Museum (applied and decorative art, etc.). The Calderón Festival is held in the courtyard.

New Residence

The Neue Residenz (1695-1704) in Bamberg is J. L. Dientzenhofer's greatest work, with the Prince-Bishop's residential apartments, the Gallery of German Art (Heisterbach Altar; painting of the 15th-18th centuries) and the State Library (temporary special exhibitions). In the courtyard is a beautiful rose-garden with a magnificent view.
Address: Domplatz 8, D-96049 Bamberg, Germany


St Michael's Church (Michelsberg) in Bamberg.
On top of the hill in Bamberg is the former Benedictine abbey of Michaelsberg (1009-1803), with St Michael's Church (12th-15th C; ceiling paintings of medicinal herbs). To the north and west of the church are the new abbey buildings erected by J. L. Dientzenhofer (1696-1702) and Balthasar Neumann (1742).

Upper Parish Church

The Upper Parish Church is Bamberg's finest Gothic building (14th-15th centuries).


The Böttingerhaus in Bamberg is a distinguished Baroque building of 1707-13.


Concordia in Bamberg is a handsome Baroque palace of 1716-22.

Carmelite Convent

The Carmelite Convent (12th C., altered about 1700) in Bamberg has a beautiful Late Romanesque cloister.

Upper Main - Musical Summer

Musical Summer is a three month festival from mid-June to late September and includes at least a dozen different concerts, spread out across the region.
The events range from symphonic and choral performances, to various recitals and even folk concerts.
The repertoire of the festival varies widely, from traditional classical works to ethnic folk music.
Every year different towns in the region get a chance to host concerts, but five towns have been chosen to have at least one annual concert. They are Bamberg, Coburg, Forchheim, Kronach and Vierzehnheiligen.
Address: Kronacherstrasse 30, D-96215 Lichtenfels, Germany

Days of Old Music

Days of Old Music is an annual four-day festival that takes place in mid-June and includes a series of concerts highlighting 17th C. music. Baroque melodies, chamber music and madrigals are performed in the city's cathedral, the New Residenz Palace, Geyersworth Castle and numerous other historic buildings.
Address: Musica Canterey Bamberg, Amalienstrasse 20, D-96047 Bamberg, Germany

Sightseeing Nearby:

More on PlanetWare