Hanover Tourist Attractions
Hanover City HallCapital of the Land of Lower SaxonyHannover, on the river Leine, is capital of the Land of Lower Saxony and an important industrial and commercial center, with a university, a medical school, a veterinary college and academies of music and drama. Its trade fairs are of international standing. With the Mittelland Canal and its motorway and rail connections it is a major center of communications. Its extensive parks - the Eilenriede, Maschpark with its lake, Lönspark, the Zoo, the Herrenhausen Gardens - justify Hannover's claim to be "the city in the country".
The "Red Thread" is a red line in the paving in Hannover which guides visitors to 47 points of interest in the central area (some of them accessible only on foot).
The main railroad station in Hannover is at the northeastern corner of the central area. In front of it can be seen an equestrian statue of King Ernest Augustus, a favorite meeting point.
North of the railroad station in Hannover rises the 144 m/472ft high Telecommunications Tower.
The hub of Hannover's life is the square called the Kröpcke, with the Kröpcke-Center, an office block almost 60 m/200ft high. The square is approached from the station by Bahnhofstrasse, with the sunken Passerelle, a shopping street 750 m/820yd long and up to 20 m/65ft wide.
Southeast of the Kröpcke in Hannover, in the dignified Georgstrasse, stands the neo-classical Opera House (by G. L. Laves, 1845-52).
Address: Opernplatz 1, D-30159 Hannover, Germany
Southwest of the Kröpcke in Hannover is the Marktplatz, in the center of the old town, with the Late Gothic Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus; 15th C.). In front of it is the graceful neo-Gothic Market Fountain (1881). In the center of the square is the Marktkirche (Market Church; 14th C.; 15th C. bronze font and carved altar), with a 97 m/318ft high tower.To the northwest is the Leibnizhaus (1652; rebuilt).
Kramerstrasse, which runs west from the Markt, still preserves something of the atmosphere of old Hannover with its handsome half-timbered houses.
Between Knochenhauerstrasse and Burgstrasse can be found Hannover's finest half-timbered building, the Ballhof, built between 1649 and 1665 for the then-fashionable game of battledore and shuttlecock, and for concerts. It is now a theater.
West of the Balhof in Hannover, on the Hohes Ufer, the scene of a large flea market on Saturday, are the Beginenturm (14th C.) and the Historical Museum (1963-66; history of the town and the region, folk traditions).
On the south side of Hannover's old town, on the banks of the river, stands the Leineschloss, built in the 17th C. as the residence of Duke Georg von Calenberg and altered in neo-classical style by G. L. Laves between 1817 and 1842. Rebuilt in 1958-62, it now houses the Landtag of Lower Saxony.
New Town Church
Northwest of the Schloss in Hannover, beyond the Leine, is the 17th C. Neustädter Kirche, with the tomb of the philosopher G. W. Leibniz (d. 1716).
South of the Old Town
The Kestner Museum in Hannover, at the north end of the Maschpark, houses antiquities, including an important Egyptian collection, applied and decorative art.
Address: Trammplatz 3, D-30159 Hannover, Germany
In Hannover's Trammplatz is the Town Hall (1901-13), in the style of the Wilhelmine period. It's built on a foundation of 6,026 beech piles, with a domed tower almost 100 m/330ft high that dominates the city's skyline ( fine panoramic view). In the hall are models of the town and the Hodler Room has a huge painting, "The Oath of Loyalty" (1913). On the south side of the Town Hall lies the Maschteich.
To the east of the Maschpark in Hannover stands the Provincial Museum of Lower Saxony, with prehistoric, natural history and ethnographic collections and the Provincial Art Gallery (Landesgalerie; European art from the Romantic period to the present day).
Address: Willy-Brandt-Allee 5, Am Maschpark, D-30169 Hannover, Germany
To the south of the Landesmuseum in Hannover can be seen the Sprengel Museum (international 20th C. art). In front of the museum is a "stabile" by Alexander Calder.
Address: Kurt-Schwitters-Platz, D-30169 Hannover, Germany
The Maschsee, a lake 2.4km/1.5mi long and up to 530 m/580yd across, was created in 1934-36. It is Hannover's largest sports and recreation area (motorboat services, bathing station, sailing school, footpaths round lake). On the west side of the lake is the Niedersachsen-Stadion (Stadium of Lower Saxony; seating for 60,000), built in 1952-54 on banks of rubble from demolished buildings. In the adjoining Sportpark can be found the Stadionbad (swimming pool). On its east side are the offices of the North German Broadcasting Corporation (Norddeutscher Rundfunk, NDR).
From Königsworther Platz in Hannover, on the east side of which is the Continental Building (Conti-Hochhaus), Nienburger Strasse runs northwest, parallel to the Herrenhäuser Allee (laid out in 1726), passing the University, which occupies the Welfenschloss (Guelph Palace; 1857-66), in the Welfengarten.
On both sides of the Herrenhäuser Allee in Hannover are the magnificent Herrenhausen Gardens. To the left, in the Georgengarten, a beautiful English-style park, is the Wallmodenschlösschen, with the Wilhelm Busch Museum (drawings, paintings, letters and manuscripts; Heinrich Zille Collection). On the right is the Berggarten, a botanic garden with orchid and cactus houses. At the north end of the gardens stands the Mausoleum built by G. L. Laves in 1842-46 for King Ernest Augustus (d. 1851) and Queen Friederike (d. 1841), with marble figures by C. D. Rauch. The Mausoleum also contains the tombs of other Guelph princes, including George I of Britain.
Address: Herrenhäuser Museum, D-30419 Hannover, Germany
To the south of the Herrenhausen Gardens in Hannover's Herrenhäuser Allee lies the geometrically designed Grosser Garten (1666-1714), the best preserved example of an Early Baroque garden in Germany, with a cascade, fountains, an orangery and a garden theater.
Herrenhausen Gallery Wing
The palace of Herrenhausen, at the end of the Herrenhäuser Allee in Hannover, was destroyed during the Second World War. The only surviving part of the palace is the Gallery Wing (1698). In the middle section is the Baroque Hall, two stories high, with a large cycle of frescoes on the story of Aeneas by the Italian painter Tommaso Giusti. It is now a concert hall used for the summer festival, "Music and Drama in Herrenhausen".
Wilhelm Busch Museum
The Wilhelm-Busch-Museum in Hannover covers the life of poet and designer Wilhelm Busch, along with temporary expositions of caricatures.
Address: Georgengarten, D-30167 Hannover, Germany
On the east side of Hannover extends the beautiful municipal forest of Eilenriede (639 hectares/1578 acres), a large recreation area, with footpaths and bridle paths, playing areas and open spaces for relaxation and sunbathing.
On the western edge of the Eilenriede park in Hannover are the Zoo, the Congress Center, with the Stadthalle and Stadtpark, the Niedersachsenhalle (Lower Saxony Hall), the Glashalle and Eilenriedehalle, and the Eilenriede Stadium.
Address: Adenaurallee 3, D-30175 Hannover, Germany
Hermann Löns Park
At the east end of the Eilenriede park in Hannover lies the Hermann Löns Park, a beautiful landscaped park with an old windmill. Adjoining is the Tiergarten, laid out by Duke John Frederick in 1679 as a hunting park, with old trees and some 200 red deer, wild horses and wild pigs.
Trade Fair Grounds
To the southeast of Hannover can be found the Trade Fair Grounds (97 hectares/240 acres), where every year at the end of April is held the Hannover Fair, one of the world's most important industrial shows. Within the grounds rises the 83 m/272ft high Hermesturm (views).
Hanover is host to a number of events and festivals during the course of the year.
Music and Theater in Herrenhauser
This annual six-week event, comprises of five festivals between late June and early September. During this time there are daily afternoon and evening events (except on Mondays) in the Herrenhausen Great Garden. The performances range from large-scale operas, symphonic and theatrical performances to smaller chamber and jazz concerts, and dance recitals.The highlight of the six-weeks is the Hannover Light Festival which includes a fire works display set to Handel's "Music for the Royal Fireworks."
Address: Ernst August Platz 8, D-30159 Hannover, Germany
Lower Saxony Music Days
Lower Saxony Music Days is a two-month festival that runs from mid-August to late October and includes over 60 different afternoon and evening concerts in over fifty venues. The repertoire is widely varied, including classical works (ranging from Mozart to Poulenc), and more contemporary music, such as rock and jazz.Also noteworthy are the original instruments which are used in many of the classical concerts.The events take place throughout the towns in Lower Saxony.
Address: Niedersäschsische Sparkassenstiftung, Schiffgraben 6-8, D-30159 Hannover, Germany
Festival of Music and Light
This annual festival takes place four times during the summer - early May, early June, mid-August and mid-September. The Herrenhausen Garden is opened for late afternoon musical, choral and dance performances. The finale in mid-September is a fireworks display set to Handel's "Music for the Royal Fireworks."
Maschsee Lake Festival
The annual Maschsee Lake Festival is a three-week event held near the biggest artificial lake in Germany. Water sports demonstrations and competitions combine with street entertainment, open-air theatrical and musical performances and craft and food stalls for a full program designed to please the whole family.
Old Town Festival
This annual festival takes place during the last weekend in August, drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area. During the weekend the Old Town of Hannover plays host to hundreds of rock and jazz musicians, street performers and other entertainers.
Hundreds of thousands of visitors flock to Hannover between late June and early July for this festival. The festival is over 400 years old and features marksmanship contests, carnivals, and Germany's largest procession. The procession includes flower floats, pipe and brass bands and horse-drawn carriages.
World Expositions are held every four years in a designated host city. Hanover was the first German city to host an Expo. The main theme of Expo 2000 was "Humankind-Nature-Technology", a theme to promote discussion and presentations offering answers to the question of how the global community can respond to the ecological and economic challenges of the future.Over 170 countries participated in Expo 2000.
Buckeberg - Helicopter Museum
The Helicopter Museum in Bückeberg is an unusual museum which concentrates entirely on the development and use of helicopters. Included in the collection are replicas of early German types and original examples of many types operated by civil and military authorities since 1955.
Address: Sable-Platz, D-31665 Bückeberg, Germany
popular right now