Place de la Concorde, Paris
The spacious Place de la Concorde in Paris, at the intersection of two main axes (Louvre-Arc de Triomphe and Madeleine-Palais-Bourbon), is recognized as one of the finest squares in the world. Originally called Place Louis-XV, with an equestrian statue of the king in the center, it was laid out by the architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel, who between 1755 and 1775 built two magniificent buildings on the north side of the square, flanking Rue Royale: to the right the Ministère de la Marine (since 1792; originally the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne, the royal furniture store), to the left the elegant Hôtel Crillon.
Place de la Concorde Map
Transit: Metro: Concorde; Bus: 24, 42, 72, 73, 84, 94.
Pont de la Concorde
The Pont de la Concorde, opposite the Palais- Bourbon, links Place de la Concorde with the left bank of the Seine. The bridge was built between 1787 and 1791, using stone from the demolished Bastille.The view from the bridge on the right bank is of Place de la Concorde with its obelisk and beyond this the Madeleine. Farther downstream, on the same side of the Seine, are the Tuileries and the Louvre. Beyond this is the Ile de la Cité, with the towers of Notre-Dame. On the left bank can be seen the Dôme and Hôtel des Invalides and the Eiffel Tower.
La Roue de Paris
Musée Pierre Marly Lunettes et Lorgnettes
There are about 3,000 pieces of telescopes, eyeglasses and binoculars in all shapes and sizes exhibited in the museum.
Address: 380 rue Saint-Honoré, F-75001 Paris, France
Opening hours: 10am-12pm, 2pm-6pm; Closed: Sun, Mon
Entrance fee: FREE, Group discounts FREE
Useful tips: Closed all bank holidays. Group visit should reserve one month in advance. Guided tour reserves one month in advance.