Brittany Attractions

Dinan, BrittanyDinan, Brittany

Brittany (Bretagne), the most westerly part of France, a peninsula 255km/155mi long and 100-150km/60-95mi wide reaching out into the Atlantic, was once a mighty range of mountains up to 4,000m/13,000ft high which in the course of some 60million years was worn down to a granite base no more than 400m/1,300ft high. Brittany is the land between ar mor, the sea, and ar goat, the forest. Armor, the land on the sea, was the name given by the people of Gaul to this region with a tidal movement of up to 18 m/60 feet and a much indented coastline of 1,100km/685mi, a region of rocky promontories affording magnificent views of the ocean and cliff-fringed inlets with a scatter of islands, of little fishing towns and popular seaside resorts. Inland Brittany - Argoat, the land of the forest - is a region of lonely moorland and heath, with scattered settlements and fields enclosed by hedges.

Among the charms of the coastal regions are the islands, which are particularly numerous off the south west coast. The most important is Belle-Ile (area 84 sq. km/32 sq. mi). The principal ports are Brest and Lorient. Brittany holds out a whole range of attractions to visitors - its variety of scenery, its seaside resorts, its castles, churches and museums, its megalithic stone- settings and other monuments, and the lovingly preserved customs and traditions - which make it a popular and much frequented holiday area.

Rennes, France

RennesRennes

Saint Malo, France

Saint MaloSaint Malo

La Baule, France

La Baule, situated on the estuary of the Loire, was founded only in 1879, and now has a population of 15,833. It lies to the west of Nantes, halfway between that city and the island of Belle-Ile. It ranks along with Biarritz as one of the leading resorts on the French Atlantic coast, with a very beautiful beach several kilometers long. A seafront boulevard runs along above the beach, with numerous hotels and guesthouses, set in beautiful gardens. Around the town are salt-pans and pinewoods planted to stabilize the dunes. Adjoining it is the smaller resort of La Baule-les-Pins, to the east of which is the Parc des Dryades, an interesting botanical garden.

Guerande, France

6km/4mi north of La Baule, amid extensive salt- pans, is the little town of Guérande, still surrounded by its medieval walls. The church dates from the 12th-16th centuries. The Porte St- Michel, one of the old town gates, contains an interesting museum of regional history. Also worth a visit is the Presqu'Ile de Guérande, a peninsula jutting out into the Atlantic on the south side of a cove which is now silted up and covered with salt- pans.

Belle-Ile

Off the south-west coast of Brittany, 16km/10mi south of Quiberon, is the largest of the Breton islands Belle-Ile (17km/10-1/2mi long, 10km/ 6mi wide), with a population of 4,500. There are boat services from Quiberon; the crossing takes an hour.
The island was frequently attacked by the British and Dutch, and between 1573 and 1761 it was held by Britain.
The chief place on the island is Le Palais. Above the harbor is a citadel originally built in 1549 and strengthened in the following century by Vauban. For many years it was a prison and later, until 1961, a barracks. It now houses a museum on the history of the island.
From Le Palais the route runs southwest across the island to the rugged Côte Sauvage, passing a large lighthouse, and comes to the Aiguilles (rock pinnacles) de Port-Coton. It then continues to the north of the island, where a visit must be paid to the Grotte de l'Apothicairerie (so called because the cormorants' nests in its walls resemble the compartments for bottles in an old- fashioned pharmacy). Southeast of Le Palais is the Plage des Grands Sables, the island's most beautiful beach.

Ile de Bréhat

Off the north coast of Belle-Ile is the Ile de Bréhat (3.5km/2mi long), which actually consists of two small islets, with handsome red granite cliffs.

Brest, France

Brest (pop. 146,000), the third largest town in Brittany, lies at its western tip. From the 12th C it was France's leading naval port; it now takes second place to Toulon. During World War II it was an important German submarine base. It is now a considerable commercial port.
From the Place de la Liberté, in the center of Brest, Rue de Siam runs southwest to the Pont de Recouvrance (1954), a massive drawbridge 64 m/210ft high spanning the river Penfeld and linking Brest with the outlying district of Recouvrance.

Musée de la Marine

In Brest, south of the Pont de Recouvrance is the Château (13th C, altered by Vauban in 17th C), with massive round towers; it now houses the Préfecture Maritime and the Musée de la Marine. To the east of the Château, running along the old ramparts, is the Cours Dajot, which offers the best view of the extensive Rade de Brest, one of the finest and best protected anchorages in the world.

Océanopolis

On the southeastern outskirts of Brest, at the Port de Plaisance du Moulin Blanc (a marina), is Océanopolis, a high-tech sea-life center containing Europe's largest marine aquarium.
There are 3 themed pavilions at Oceanopolis: polar, tropical and temperate. The Tropical pavilion features a living coral reef and hundreds of rainbow colored fish. The Polar Pavilion has a recreated penguin habitat and a pack of ice seals.
Address: Port de Plaisance du Moulin Blanc, BP 411, F-29275 Brest, France

Carnac, France

Carnac (pop. 4,443), on Quiberon Bay in southern Brittany, lies in an area with an extraordinary assemblage of standing stones and other megalithic monuments which attract large numbers of visitors. The name of the town comes from the Celtic word carn, meaning a stone monument.
Carnac Megalithic Stone Settings Map - Tourist Attractions Carnac Map - Attractions

Musée de la Prehistoire

Near the 17th century church of St-Cornely, notable particularly for its porch, is the Musée de la Prehistoire, with an important collection of material illustrating the development of mankind between 450,000 B.C. and A.D. 800.
Address: 10 place de la Chapelle, F-56340 Carnac, France

Circuit des Alignements

On the west side of Carnac is the starting point of the Circuit des Alignements, which takes in the stone- settings and other megalithic monuments of Carnac, Ménec, Kermario and Kerlescan. These consist of menhirs (standing stones, which may be up to 6 m/20ft high), either free-standing, in rows (alignements) or in circles (cromlechs), dolmens (from a Celtic word for "stone table"), which were originally tombs, and tumuli containing tomb chambers - evidence of a prehistoric culture of which almost nothing is known. It is estimated that the oldest stones date from the Neolithic (about 3500 B.C.). The function of the stones has been the subject of much speculation. One suggestion is that they may have served some calendrical purpose, but there is no agreement among experts on when and why they were erected.

Tumulus St Michel

This tumulus of St-Michel, which is 125 m/410ft long and 60 m/200ft across and contains a number of tomb chambers, is topped by a small chapel. From the top of the mound a number of megaliths can be seen. There are others in the surrounding area, at Locmariaquer, Kermario, Kerlescan, Kercado and Moustoir.

Concarneau, France

Concarneau (pop. 20,021), at the mouth of the river Moros, is France's third largest fishing port, an important tunny fishing and commercial center with numerous fish-canning plants.
The "closed city" is a 14th C stronghold enclosed by massive granite walls and towers which was enlarged by Vauban in the 17th C.

Fisheries Museum

The former Arsenal is now occupied by the Musée de la Pêche (Fisheries Museum) which illustrates the history of the port and displays the various species of fish, the best known of which can be seen, live, in an aquarium.
Address: Rue Vauban 3, F-29181 Concarneau, France

Festival Internationale de la Baie Folklore des Continents

This annual five-day festival takes place in early August and includes folk dancing singing and music as well as expositions.
Address: St Quentin-les-Troo, F-41800 Montoire-sur-le-Loire, France

Old Ship Reunion

This two-day festival takes place in mid-July.

Cornouaille

In the Middle Ages the district of Cornouaille in southwestern Brittany was a duchy with Quimper as its capital. Its most striking features are two rocky peninsulas, Cap Sizun and Penmarc'h. It has a number of attractive seaside resorts like Tréboul and the fishing port of Douarnenez, with Port- Musée, a maritime conservation area featuring the large Musée du Bateau (Shipping Museum). The Pointe du Raz, a promontory 70 m/230ft high reaching far out into the Atlantic, is the most westerly point in Brittany. A good path runs to the tip of the promontory, from where there are magnificent views.

Emerald Coast

The "Emerald Coast" runs along the north coast of Brittany from St-Malo and Dinard to Cap Fréhel. Along this stretch of coast are numerous seaside resorts like Dinard, Paramé, Servan-sur-Mer, Rothéneuf, St-Briac, St-Lunaire, Lancieux, St-Jacut, St-Cast et Cancale (oyster-beds), all linked by a coast road. The most striking feature is Cap Fréhel, which rears to a height of 72 m/236ft above the sea, affording fine views of the coast. It can also be reached from Dinard by boat. Inland from the coast are Dinan, Fougères and Combourg, with a Château which was the family home of the 19th C writer and statesman René de Chateaubriand. At Essé, southeast of Rennes, is the Roche aux Fées, a megalithic chamber tomb.

Crozon

The rocky promontories on the much indented Crozon peninsula, north of Cornouaille and the Pointe du Raz, offer the most splendid views in Brittany. Along the peninsula are a number of seaside resorts like Morgat, Camaret and Roscanvel. The Pointe de Penhir rises to a height of 70 m/230ft above the sea, with impressive views, particularly of the isolated crags known as the Tas de Pois (illustration, page 153), and a memorial to Bretons who fell in the Second World War. To the north is the Pointe des Espagnols, with a view of Brest, to the south Cap de la Chèvre. Between the Pointe de Penhir and Cap de la Chèvre is the Pointe de Dinan, from which there is a fine view of a rock known as the Château. A little way inland is the viewpoint of Ménez-Hom.

Dinan, France

The town of Dinan (pop. 11,833), still surrounded by its old walls, lies on a hill above the left bank of the Rance, which from here to its mouth, between Dinard and St- Malo, widens into a fjord-like inlet. The old town with its 15th and 16th C houses (particularly in Rue du Jerzual) and the castle of Anne de Bretagne with its massive 14th C keep 34 m/110ft high preserve something of Dinan's medieval atmosphere. The castle now houses a historical museum. The church of St- Sauveur (12th-16th C) is also worth a visit.
Cobac Park is a leisure park (area 8 hectares/20 acres) with a restaurant, a zoo, facilities for riding and a pleasure lake.

Musée Château Dinan

To the west is the 15th C Tour de l'Horloge. An attractive excursion from Dinan is a boat trip down the river to Dinard or St-Malo.
Address: Château de la Duchesse Anne, rue du Château, F-22100 Dinan, France

Dinard-St Enogat, France

Opposite St-Malo on the other side of the Rance estuary, here 2km/1.5mi wide, is Dinard (pop. 10,988), which ranks along with La Baule as the most elegant of the Breton resorts. Mimosas and camellias flourish here under the influence of the Gulf Stream. To the north of the town is the Grande Plage, a beautiful beach 500m/550yd long. On the Promenade du Clair-de-Lune (Moonlight Promenade) is the Musée de la Mer (Museum of the Sea), with an aquarium.

Le Folgoet, France

In this little town, Le Folgoët, (pop. 2,900) is the important pilgrimage church of Notre-Dame (14th-15th C), whose north tower is one of the finest in Brittany. Notable features of the interior are the antechamber to the Chapelle de la Croix and the magnificent granite rood screen (15th C).

Fougeres, France

Fougères (pop. 22,819), 50km/30mi northeast of Rennes, has long been noted as a center of shoe manufacturing, and has an interesting Musée de la Chaussure (Shoe Museum). Nowadays, however, it is mainly an agricultural town, with the largest cattle market in Europe. To the south is the church of St-Sulpice (15th-18th century), with a beautiful interior. The Hôtel de Ville (Town Hall) dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. In an old half-timbered house (16th century) adjoining the Town Hall is the Musée Emmanuel de la Villéon, an Impressionist painter (1858- 1944) born in Fougères.

Château de Fougères

Once a fortified town, it still preserves its massive castle (11th-15th century), with 13 towers around its circuit of walls. The courtyard of the castle is used as an open-air theater.
Address: Place Pierre-Simon, F-35300 Fougères, France

Golfe du Morbihan

The Golfe du Morbihan, connected with the Atlantic only by a narrow channel, is an attractive inland sea with numerous small islands which is one of the most popular places in Brittany. On the island of Arz there are a number of standing stones, and on Gavrinis an 8 m/26ft high tumulus. The largest and most populous of the islands is the Ile aux Moines (Monks' Island), which once belonged to a monastery.

Guimiliau, France

The little village of Guimiliau in northwestern Brittany, south of Roscoff, has one of the finest calvaires (Crucifixion groups) in Brittany (1581-1588), with more than 200 figures in scenes from the life of Christ. The 16th C church and a charnel-house of 1648 are also worth seeing.

Josselin, France

Josselin, north of Vannes, has numbers of old houses (16th-17th century), some of them with half- timbering and caryatids. The Late Gothic church of Notre-Dame-du-Roncier has impressive gargoyles.

Château des Rohan

The facade of the residential wing of the Château des Rohan (14th-16th C) is particularly fine.

Montagnes Noires

The Montagnes Noires (Black Mountains), along with the Monts d'Arrée, form the backbone of a peninsula, rising to just over 300 m/980ft. In recent years there has been extensive reforestation.

Monts d'Arrée

The Monts d'Arrée, in western Brittany, are the highest hills in the peninsula, rising to around 400 m/1,300ft. They have some of the finest scenery in inland Brittany, with a variety of fine viewpoints, like the Montagne St- Michel (382 m/1,253ft).

Ushant Island

The island of Ouessant (in English traditionally Ushant), 7km/4-1/2mi long by 4km/2-1/2mi across, lies northwest of Brest, surrounded by treacherous cliffs, dangerous currents and a ring of lighthouses. The Phare de Créac'h on the rugged northwest coast is a lighthouse which is passed by about 30,000 ships every year, marks the entrance to the English Channel. There are ferries to the island from Brest and Le Conquet.

Plougastel-Daoulas, France

The calvaire of Plougastel-Daoulas, with more than 180 figures, is one of the finest in Brittany. It was erected after an epidemic of plague in 1602-1604.

Daoulas

To the east of Plougastel-Daoulas is the little town of Daoulas. Its enclosed paroissial is entered through a handsome 16th C porch. The abbey church dates from the 12th C, the charnel-house from the 16th. The chapel of Ste-Anne has a 17th C doorway, and the Romanesque cloister which adjoins the church was built in 1167-1173.

Quiberon Peninsula

The Quiberon peninsula, 8km/5mi long by 1-1.5km/-3/4-1mi across, was originally an island but was joined to the mainland by the accumulation of soil washed up by the sea. Its varied scenery - particularly impressive along the Côte Sauvage on its western side - attracts many visitors. There are boat services from the town of Quiberon to Belle-Ile.

Quimper, France

Quimper (pop. 64,100), in the early medieval period capital of Cornouaille and now chief town of the département of Finistère, lies in southwestern Brittany at the confluence of the Steir and the Odet. In the center of the town is Place St-Corentin, named after the first bishop of Quimper.
Locmaria, on the left bank of the Odet, has a beautiful Romanesque church.

Cathédrale St Corentin

The Gothic Cathedral of St-Corentin (13th-15th C) has a richly decorated west doorway. Between the two 76 m/250ft high towers, which date only from 1856, the legendary figure of the founder, King Gradion, watches over the town. The most notable features of the interior are the numerous tombs and the magnificent stained glass, some of it dating from the 15th C.

Musée Departemental Breton

South of the cathedral, in the former Bishop's Palace is the Musée Departemental Breton, with a collection of regional folk art. In the old part of the town are many handsome old houses with oriel windows and richly decorated facades.
Address: 1 rue de Roi-Gradlon, F-29000 Quimper, France

Musée des Beaux-Arts

In the Town Hall is the Musée des Beaux-Arts, with pictures by French and foreign painters, drawings and manuscripts of the poet Max Jacob and pictures of the Pont-Aven school.
Address: 40 place St Corentin, F-29000 Quimper, France

Festival de Cornouaille

Festival de Cornouaille runs from the third to the fourth Sunday of July. Breton culture is featured with song, dance, music, costumes, crafts and food. Pottery workshops, street players, bagpipe performances and fireworks are also included in the program.
Address: BP77, 29 place de la Tour d'Auvergne, F-29103 Quimper, France

Roscoff, France

A little way north of St-Pol-de-Léon is the little seaside resort of Roscoff (pop. 3,550). The church of Notre-Dame de Kroaz-Baz has a beautiful 16th C. belfry with superimposed balconies and lanterns; fine reredoses in the interior.

St Nazaire, France

The important port and industrial town of St-Nazaire (pop. 66,100) lies at the mouth of the Loire. During World War II the town was almost completely destroyed. It is now the outer port of Nantes. From the viewing platform between the Bassin St- Nazaire and the Loire there are good views of the harbor and World War II submarine base. West of the town, near the road to Guérande, is the prehistoric burial mound of Dissignac.
At the mouth of the Loire the river is spanned by a road bridge built between 1972 and 1975. 2.6km/1.5mi long and up to 61 m/200ft high, it is a fine example of modern functional architecture.
There is a beautiful view from the top of the bridge. 20km/12mi north is the Grande Brière nature reserve, an area of marshland and moorland which has been partly drained.

Vendee

The coastal regions of Vendée, extending from the borders of Brittany in the north to Royan in the south, offer a host of attractions for tourists and holidaymakers, with their beautiful beaches and well known resorts, their offshore islands, the area round Cognac has a great range of sights of historical and artistic interest.

Mont des Alouettes

The Mont des Alouettes (231 m/758ft) is the highest hill in the Vendée. In 1792 there were seven windmills on the hill, which served during the Vendée wars as signal stations, with different positions of the sails conveying the message "danger", "troops to assemble" or "all clear". From the top of the hill there are fine views of the surrounding country, Nantes and the sea.

Les Sables d'Olonne

The resort of Les Sables d'Olonne (pop. 15,531), which also has an important fishing harbor, is one of the best known and most popular family resorts in France, with a beautiful beach over 2km/1.5mi long. The great rendezvous for holidaymakers is the Promenade du Remblai, laid out in the 18th C. At its east end the Zoological Gardens. The church of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Port was built in 1646. In a former Benedictine abbey (17th C.) is the Musée de l'Abbaye Ste-Croix (regional history, modern and contemporary art). Round the Tour d'Arundel (12th C.) and Fort St-Nicolas (11th C., rebuilt in 1779) is the fishermen's quarter of La Chaume.

Ile de Ré

The Ile de Ré, which lies off La Rochelle, can be reached either on a bridge from the mainland (much criticized on environmental grounds) or by boat from La Pallice, at the west end of La Rochelle. The island, surrounded by beaches of fine sand, is 28km/17mi long and 5-7km/3-4.5mi across. Pretty villages bright with flowers lie near salt marshes, some of which are now being converted into oyster-beds. The principal resorts on the island, which is favored by nature- lovers, lie on the south coast (Ars, La Couarde, Le Bois- Plage, Ste-Marie, etc.).
The chief place on the island is the pretty little town of St- Martin-de-Ré, with 15th C. fortifications which were remodelled by Vauban (1627 onwards) and are pierced by two massive gates. The fortified church of St-Martin dates from the 15th C. and there is also an interesting Seafaring Museum.
Ars is also an attractive little place with its narrow lanes and the church of St- Etienne, which has a slender spire, a beautiful Romanesque doorway and a Gothic choir.
In the northwest of the island is the Phare des Baleines ("Lighthouse of the Whales"), built in 1854 (view). On the northeast coast is a beautiful sandy beach.

Ile d'Yeu

30km/20mi off the Vendée coast is the charming island of Yeu (10km/ 6mi long, 4km/2.5mi across; pop. 4,788), which is reached by boat from Fromentine. The Vieux Château, romantically situated on a crag on the west coast, dates from the 11th C. but was enlarged in the 16th. From the watch tower there is a magnificent view of the Côte Sauvage. Farther down the coast, to the east, is the fishing harbor (crayfish, lobsters) of Port-de-la-Meule. In Port-Joinville, where the ferry from the mainland comes in, is a small museum devoted to Marshal Pétain, who was confined in a cell in Fort Pierre-Levée from 1945 to 1951. He died in 1951 at the age of 96 and was buried in the Port- Joinville cemetery.

Lucon

Luçon (pop. 9,306) is an old episcopal city of which Cardinal Richelieu was bishop. The Cathedral of Notre-Dame (1317) has a three-aisled nave of the 14th C. and a 17th C. facade, rebuilt by François Leduc after the devastations of the 16th C. wars of religion. The tower (1828-1829). The Bishop's Palace, with a fine Renaissance facade and a beautiful cloister, dates from the 16th C.
The beautiful Jardin Dumaine was laid out during the reign of Napoleon III.
15km/9mi south of Luçon is the abbey of St-Michel-en-l'Herm (11th and 15th C.; remodelled by François Leduc in 17th C.).

Pornic

The little fishing port of Pornic (pop. 11,903), situated at the end of an inlet (sandy beaches) on the "Jade Coast", is now a popular seaside resort. The old part of the town, with the harbor and a 13th-14th C. castle, is particularly attractive.
Along the Jade Coast remains of the "Atlantic Wall" built by the occupying German forces during World War II are still very visible.

Maillezais

Maillezais, in the Marais Poitevin, has the remains (11th- 15th C.) of an abbey founded at the end of the 10th C. and originally surrounded by walls. There is a small archeological museum in the old kitchen.

Chateau de Maulevrier, Maulevrier

Designed after inspirations of Oriental gardens, this special garden contains Japanese pavilions, statues and a notable Khmer temple. A romantic lake in the center marks this garden in an exceptional fashion.

Maison de Georges Clemenceau, Saint-Vincent-sur-Jard

This is the house of George Clemenceau, a significant figure in France's WWI victory. He rented this fisherman's house in 1919 after retiring from politics.

Talmont

The little village of Talmont is picturesquely situated on a crag above the Gironde. The Romanesque church of Ste- Radegonde dates from the 12th C.

St Pol de Léon

This former episcopal city of St Pol de Leon lies in a fertile area on the northwestern coast of Brittany. Its Cathedral of St-Pol, which was modeled on Coutance Cathedral, was begun in the 13th C on the site of an earlier church and completed in the 16thC. It has fine stalls (16th C), beautiful 16th C windows and a 15th C rose window. A Romanesque sarcophagus serves as a holy water stoup. The Chapelle du Kreisker, to the south of the cathedral, dates from the 14th and 15th centuries; its imposing tower was imitated in many Breton churches.

St Thegonnec, France

The little town of St Thégonnec (pop. 2,200) is famed for its magnificent enclos paroissial (16th-17th C). It is entered through a monumental gateway (1587). The burial chapel (chapelle funéraire) (1676-1682), one of the finest Renaissance buildings in Brittany, contains an "Entombment" of painted wood by Jacques Lespaignol (1699-1702) and a valuable treasury. The calvaire (1610) has three crosses with scenes from Christ's Passion. The church dates from the 16th C but was much altered in the 17th and 18th; the belfry was built in 1563. The main features of the interior are the pulpit (1683) and the carved woodwork of the apse and transepts (17th and 18th C).

Vannes, France

Vannes (pop. 53,900) lies between Nantes and Brest on the Gulf of Morbihan, with which it is connected by the Rivière de Vannes. The interesting old part of the town grew up within the walls and round the Cathedral of St- Pierre (13th-19th century), which has an external chapel in Italian Renaissance style in the form of a rotunda and contains fine 17th century tapestries and a valuable treasury. From the Promenade de la Garenne there is a good view of the cathedral and the Tour du Connétable (14th-15th century). The Château Gaillard (15th century) is now occupied by an archeological museum.

Auray - International World Folk Festival

This annual four-day festival usually takes place in early or mid-July and includes dancing and musical performances.
A traditional trades fair and conferences are also held as part of the festival.
Address: St Quentin-les-Troo, F-41800 Montoire-sur-le-Loire, France

Vitre, France

Vitré (pop. 15,908), east of Rennes on the left bank of the Vilaine, has preserved its original townscape almost unchanged. The most picturesque street is Rue Beaudrairie, once the quarter of the saddlers (baudroyeurs).
The Gothic church of Notre-Dame (15th-16th C), with an external pulpit and a fine interior (triptych consisting of 32 panels of Limoges enamel), seems entirely in place against the background of the old town walls and towers.

Château de Vitré

The massive castle on a spur of hill, built on the remains of an earlier stronghold, dates from the 14th and 15th centuries, and now houses various museums. At the foot of the castle is the old town with its medieval lanes and half-timbered houses.

Château des Rochers

7km/4mi southeast of Vitré is the Château des Rochers (14th C, rebuilt in 17th C), which features in the celebrated letters of Madame de Sévigné.
Address: route d'Argentré-du-Plessis, F-35500 Vitré, France

Châteaux en Fête

This annual two-month festival runs from mid-June to the end of July and serves a double purpose. First it presents a series of concerts highlighting French musicians, and second it showcases the local architecture. There are usually at least 10 different events organized, including orchestral, choral and chamber concerts and piano and dance recitals.
Each event takes place in a different venue, ranging from the local chateaus, to the numerous churches and other historic buildings in the region.
Address: ARCODAR, 1 rue du Prieure, F-35410 Chateaugiron, France

Kerdalo

Kerdalo offers an informal lawn that leads away from Kerdalo's decorative steps to an informal parterre, rich in a wide variety of plantings. Variegeta rises over this and a rectangular lily pool with Chinese pagoda sits off to the left. The Kerdalo gardens continue to spread to the right, including in their splendor a grotto and several cascades.

Cairn de Barnenez, Pouezoch, France

The Barnenez cairn is a large megalith that dates back to the Neolithic period and contains chambered tombs. The stones are decorated with idols, V-shaped engraved signs and dotted axes. Within the monument flints, pottery sherds and polished axes have been discovered.

Château de Caradeuc

Château de Caradeuc has an elaborate formal garden featuring flower beds of red and yellow with pyramid shaped yew. A broad gravel terrace forms the center of the garden.

Maison d'Ernest Renan, Treguier, France

This is the 16th C house of writer Ernest Renan. The write kept the house as a holiday residence. Today it is furnished as it would have been when Renan was a child as well as a reconstruction of Renan's study .

Festival Interceltique, Lorient, France

This festival runs during the first two weeks of August, and showcases the Celtic culture.

Plozevet - Mondial Folk Festival

The Mondial Folk Festival is an annual five-day festival that takes place in July and includes folk dancing, singing and music.
Address: Box 1, F-29710 Plozevet, France

Hydrangea Festival, Perros-Guirec, France

Perros-Guirec is the site of a two-week Hydrangea Festival which takes place in August.

Popular Pages

Destinations
popular right now