The Berlin Tiergarten (Animal Garden) - not to be confused with the Zoological Gardens or the Tierpark - was originally an Electoral hunting reserve in which deer, wild pigs and other game were preserved. Arond 1700, the Elector Frederick III began to transform the wooded country into a park and caused a road to be built connecting it with Charlottenburg Palace.
Transit: S-Bahn: Tiergarten, Bellevue (S3, S5, S6, S9); U-Bahn: Hansaplatz (U9); Bus: 106, 123, 219, 341.
In the heart of Berlin City, by the Zoological Gardens Station, are the Zoological Gardens. The Zoo is home to 15,400 animals, all of which are displayed in their natural environment.
Showcasing examples of European art from the Middle ages to current times,the Museum of Applied Art in Berlin is extensive and informative. It exhibits works of cermanic, porcelain, glass, bronze and gold.
The huge Neo-Renaissance Reichstag Building created in the late 1800s was destroyed in the 1930s. The existing structure was rebuilt and completed in 1970.
The New National Gallery is housed in a modern looking building, constructed in the 1960s. The collection is extensive and currently outgrowing its current space.
The Memorial to German Resistance includes a statue in the courtyard and an exhibition housed in 26 rooms highlighting various aspects of resistance and the people involved in the movement.
Royal Porcelain Manufactory
It is a few minutes' walk from the Tiergarten S-Bahn station in Berlin to the workshops of the Royal Porcelain Manufactory, which has been here since 1868. It descended from the first Berlin porcelain factory founded by Kaspar Wegely in 1751 and adopted by Frederick the Great in 1763. The only surviving part of the old factory is the throwing and shaping department by the River Spree. After 1918, the firm became semi-nationalized and its name was changed to "National Porcelain Manufactory." On the occasion of its 225th jubilee celebrations in 1988, however, it was again given the traditional "Royal" name. Frederick the Great granted it the right to use the blue scepter of Brandenburg as its trademark, and since 1763 variations thereof have marked all its porcelain products. The color of the mark used today depends on the nature of the glaze (red for all porcelain with painted pictures, green for decorated and blue for cobalt-decorated). The factory continues to produce ware for everyday use as well as fine decorative porcelain in both traditional and modern designs. The exhibition and sales departments are on Wegelystrasse (No. 1: open Mon.-Fri. 8.30am-6pm, Sat. 9am-2pm) and on Kurfürstendamm (No. 26a: open Mon.-Fri. 9am-6.30pm, Sat. 9am-2pm). A permanent exhibition of 500 pieces can be seen in the Belvedere of Charlottenburg Palace.A little to the east of the factory once stood a school and synagogue belonging to the Israelite Synagogue Community of Adass Jisroel and there is a memorial in Berlin-Weissensee.
The Victory Column in Berlin stands in the center of "Grosser Stern" Square on Strasse des 17. Juni, about halfway between Ernst-Reuter-Platz and the Brandenburg Gate. Originally commissioned in 1865, it was ceremonially inaugurated on Sept. 2, 1873, the anniversary of the German victory at Sedan, with a great military parade attended by the Emperor William I and his generals. It commemorates the three victorious wars of 1864 against Denmark, 1866 against Austria and 1870-71 against France. The shaft of the column incorporates a large number of cannon barrels captured from the enemy. The column stands on a high granite plinth with bronze reliefs depicting scenes from the three wars. On the base of the column, which is enclosed within an open colonnade, is a mosaic (by Anton von Werner) symbolizing the achievement of German unity in 1870-71. The column is crowned by a gilded figure of the goddess Victory holding the symbols of victory. The figure, more than 8 m/26ft high, was the work of Friedrich Drake.The column, which is 69.27 m/228ft high overall, can be climbed by means of a spiral staircase (285 steps). At a height of 48 m/157ft is an observation platform from which there are panoramic views. However, the platform is closed for repairs until further notice.Until 1938 the Victory Column, together with statues of Bismarck, Moltke and von Roon, stood in front of the Reichstag Building.
Soviet Memorial in Tiergarten
The memorial to the Soviet Army, in Berlin's Tiergarten, was constructed of marble from the former Reichskanzlei (Chancellery of the Reich: Hitler's headquarters) and was erected on the territory of West Berlin, near the Brandenburg Gate, in 1945-46. It bears the bronze figure of a soldier of the Red Army with fixed bayonet. The statue is flanked by two Soviet tanks, said to have been the first to reach Berlin in 1945. There is also another Soviet memorial in Treptow Park.Since 1989 the 3 m/10ft tall sculpture by Gerhard Marcks, The Crier (Der Rufer), has stood in the center of the Strasse des 17. Juni, between the Brandenburger Tor and the Soviet Memorial. The 2 m/7ft tall granite base bears an inscription by the Italian poet and humanist Petrarch (1304- 74): "I pass through the world and cry `Peace, Peace, Peace.' "
Emperor Frederick Memorial Church
The Protestant church of Emperor Frederick in Berlin's Tiergarten district is the only building in the Hansaviertel that has been rebuilt on its original site. The old neo-Gothic church, erected in 1892-95, was destroyed during the Second World War and replaced by a new building designed by Ludwig Lemmer, which was completed in 1957. The stained glass is by Ludwig Peter Kowalski and other artists, the outer doors of cast aluminum by Gerhard Marcks and the fine modern organ (5,100 pipes, 63 stops) by Karl Schuke. The tower, with a free-hanging bell, is 68 m/223ft high and completely transparent. The Berliners have nicknamed it the "Seelenbohrer" (Gimlet of the Soul).
The Bauhaus Archives museum in Berlin is dedicated to free and applied art from the Bauhaus period 1919-33.
Address: Klingelhöfstrasse 13-14, D-10785 Berlin, Germany
Opening hours: 10am-5pm; Fri: 10am-8pm; Closed: Tue
Always closed on: New Year's Eve (Dec 31), Christmas Eve - Christian (Dec 24)
Entrance fee in EUR: Adult €7.00, Group of 10 or more €4.00, Concession or reduced rate €4.00
Transit: Bus: 106, 129, 219, 341.
Map - Tiergarten
Map of Berlin Attractions