Follow Us:

Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Schaffhausen

SchaffhausenSchaffhausen View slideshow
Schaffhausen, capital of the canton of that name, situated close to the Untersee and north of the Rhine, is enclosed on three sides by Germany.
ENLARGE MAP PRINT MAP EMBED < > Schaffhausen Map - Tourist Attractions Schaffhausen Map - Attractions

Old Town

In the heart of Schaffhausen's old town is the Fronwagplatz, with the Fronwag tower and two fountains, the Moor's fountain (Mohrenbrunnes, originally 1520) and the Metzgerbrunnen, 1524), which has a striking figure of a landsknecht (mercenary). To the north of the Fronwagplatz is the Vorstadt, with a whole series of houses with oriel windows and coats-of-arms on the facade, which ends at the Schwabentor (Swabian gate, 14th-16th C.); to the west the short Oberstadt, at the far end of which is the Obertor (upper Gate, originally 13th C.).

Council House

To the east of Fronwagplatz the long Vordergasse opens out into a square. On the right of the Vordergasse the 15th C. Rathaus (Council House), with the fine Chamber of the Great Council (Grossratssaal, 1632) and the Council Arcade (Ratslaube, 1586)

Stemmler Museum

The private Stemmler museum has stuffed birds and mammals from all over Europe.
Address: Sporrengasse 7, CH-8200 Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Haus zum Ritter

At the corner of Münstergasse in Schaffhausen is the colorful Haus zum Ritter (1485), with paintings on the facade by Tobias Stimmer (originals, 1570, removed in 1935, now in All Saints Museum; reproductions of 1938-39, restored 1943). Diagonally across the street the Late Gothic St John's church (Protestant) has an imposing tower.

Theater (Arsenal)

In a spacious square south of Fronwagplatz, Herrenacker, are the old Kornhaus (Granary, 1679) and the Schaffhausen Municipal Theater (rebuilt 1956). In a small square immediately east, the Beckenstube, is situated the Cantonal Government Building (Regierungsgebäude), a skillful conversion of the old Arsenal (17th C.), with a magnificent doorway.

Münster

The Schaffhausen Minster (Münster), a pillared basilica with a single tower (1087-1150), was originally the church of the Benedictine abbey of All Saints and is now the Protestant parish church. The spacious nave, flat-roofed (restored 1950-58), is a fine example of Romanesque religious architecture. The sparse furnishings are modern; near the altar, a simple wooden table, stand the bronze font and wooden pulpit. In the apse are three stained-glass windows and a large tapestry. The choir contains remains of old wall-paintings. Outside the Minster, on the north side, is a bronze figure of David with Goliath's head (by K. Geiser, 1959). On the south side the cloister (freely accessible) has delicate 12th C. arcades.

Hosanna Bell

In the forecourt of St Anne's chapel, adjoining the Schaffhausen Minster on the east, is the famous Hosanna Bell (Osannaglocke), cast in 1486, with a Latin inscription ("Vivos voco, mortuos plango, fulgura frango" - "I call the living, I mourn the dead, I quell the lightning") which inspired a well-known poem by Schiller, the "Song of the Bell" ("Das Lied von der Glocke").

Allerheiligen Museum

The museum in the complex of the former Benedictine monastery contains archaeological finds, church treasures, a natural history section and an art collection featuring works from the Middle-Ages to the present.
Address: Baumgartenstrasse 6, CH-8200 Schaffhausen, Switzerland

All Saints Museum

The handsome conventual buildings of the Schaffhausen abbey now house All Saints Museum (Museum zu Allerheiligen), one of the richest local museums in Switzerland, with collections of prehistoric material (mainly from the Kesslerloch at Thayngen), works of religious art (the finest of them in the "Treasury" in the Abbot's Room), a series of rooms furnished in period style, weapons, relics of the old guilds, traditional costumes, a comprehensive collection of playing-cards, etc., and a large picture gallery, notable in particular for the works by modern Swiss artists. Of the old conventual buildings St Erhard's chapel (1104), St John's chapel (1064), a Romanesque loggia (1200) and the Kreuzsaal (ca. 1620) are noteworthy.

Contemporary Art Museum

The Hallen für neue Kunst is a museum of contemporary art, which offers major works by international artists from the 1960's - 1980's in a refurbished textile factory
Address: Baumgartenstrasse 23, CH-8200 Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Kastell Munot

Kastell MunotKastell Munot View slideshow
To the east, dominating Schaffhausen on a vine-clad hill is Kastell Munot (1564-89), a circular structure designed in accordance with Dürer's principles of fortification, with walls more than 5 m/16ft thick and vaulted gunports below. The principal tower has a ramp in place of a staircase to allow supplies to be carried up to the artillery. From the battlements there is a fine view of the town.

Rhine Falls

Rhine FallsRhine Falls View slideshow
The Rhine Falls (Rheinfall) at Schaffhausen, the mightiest falls in Central Europe, surge over a ledge of Jurassic limestone 150 m/492ft across and between 15 and 21 m/49 and 69ft high, with two higher rocks standing in the middle of the river. The flow of water is at its greatest in June and July, after the melting of mountain snow.
The falls can be reached from Schaffhausen on either side of the river. To reach the north side, leave Schaffhausen by way of Mühlenstrasse and road 4, which runs southwest to Neuhausen.
PRINT MAP EMBED < > Rhine Falls - Layout map Rhine Falls Map

Schloss Laufen

A footpath leads from the parking lot to the Rheinfallbrücke (192 m/630ft long), which carries the Schaffhausen-Winterthur railroad line. From here it is a 15-minute walk to Schloss Laufen (16th C., restored; restaurant), on the south bank from where there is a good general view of the falls.
A short walk through the park leads down to a number of viewpoints - the "Pavillon", "Känzli" and the "Fischez", an iron structure which brings the spectator almost within touching distance of the surging river.

Schloss Wörth

A footpath leads from the parking lot to the Rheinfallbrücke (192 m/630ft long), which carries the Schaffhausen-Winterthur railroad line. From here it is a 15-minute walk to Schloss Laufen (16th C., restored; restaurant), on the south bank from where there is a good general view of the falls.
A short walk through the park leads down to a number of viewpoints - the "Pavillon", "Känzli" and the "Fischez", an iron structure which brings the spectator almost within touching distance of the surging river.

Neuhausen - Fishing Museum

In Neuhausen there is a fishing museum with a collection of equipment, models and photographs documenting amateur and professional angling.
Address: Rosenbergstrasse 37, CH-8008 Zürich, Switzerland

City Festival

This day-long festival takes place in early or mid-June.

Sightseeing Nearby:

More on PlanetWare