Metz Tourist Attractions
Cathedral of St Etienne
Metz Cathedral - Interior
Musée d'Art et d'Histoire
Northeast of the cathedral is the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire, which contains in the basement the excavated remains of Roman structures and also incorporates the old municipal granary (15th C.). The exhibits include Gallo-Roman finds and examples of medieval religious art and architecture. There is also an art gallery.
Below the cathedral, on the far side of the Moselle, is the wide Place de la Comédie, in which are the theater and a number of handsome Baroque Metz buildings. The church of St-Vincent, originally Gothic, has a heavy Baroque facade and two elegant towers over the choir.
On the southwest side of the inner city is the Esplanade, from the beautiful terrace of which there are views of the Moselle valley and Mont St-Quentin (350 m/1,150ft; view). On the north side of the Esplanade is the 18th C. Palais de Justice (Law Courts). To the south is the church of St-Pierre-aux-Nonnains, originally a Roman basilica or an early Christian church, which belonged to a Benedictine abbey founded in the seventh C. In the 16th C. the church was incorporated in the town's defenses.
Metz Cultural Center
Beyond the Place de la République is the church of St-Martin (1202), with remains of old stained glass (15th, 16th and 19th C.), a charming funeral monument with a representation of the Virgin lying in (15th C.) and a Baroque organ gallery.
Porte des Allemands
From the center of the old town Rue des Allemands runs east to the Porte des Allemands, a massive defense work projecting over the Seille, with two round towers (13th C.) on the inner side and two 15th C. bastions on the outer side. It is the last relic of the town's medieval fortifications.
On the banks of the Seille in Metz, south of the Porte des Allemands, is the church of St-Maximin, which dates in part from the 12th C. and has stained glass by Jean Cocteau.
Farther south is the modern church of Ste-Thérèse-l'Enfant (1954), with fine stained glass.