Salzburg Cathedral Dom
Salzburg Cathedral View slideshowThe southern side of Salzburg's Residenzplatz is dominated by the Cathedral (Dom, by Santino Solari, 1614-28), built of dark gray conglomerate from the Mönchsberg; the twin towers, 79m/259ft high, date from 1652-57. This was the first deliberately Italian style church to be built north of the Alps. The west front, facing the Domplatz, has four colossal statues of light colored marble, the outer ones representing St Rupert and Virgil, patron saints of the province (c. 1660), the inner ones Peter and Paul (1697-98).The first cathedral, built by Abbot and Bishop Virgil in 767-74, was replaced at the end of the 12th C. by a five-aisled basilica, which was destroyed by fire in 1598. The present church, the third on the site, was severely damaged by bombs in 1944, but restoration was completed by 1959. The three massive bronze doors, with the symbols of Faith (left), Love (middle) and Hope (right) were the work of Toni Schneider-Manzell, Giacomo Manzu and Ewald Mataré (1957-58). The Cathedral can accommodate a congregation of more than 10,000. In the first side chapel on the left stands the font (1321), borne on 12th C. figures of lions, from the Romanesque cathedral, and in which Mozart was baptized. On the high altar is a "Resurrection" (1628) painted by Arsenio Mascagni; the frescos in the vaulting, amid rich stucco ornament, are by Mascagni and his pupils. The bronze pulpit at the third column on the right was the work of Toni Schneider-Manzell (1959). The large organ has a specification of 1703.
Salzburg Cathedral Highlights
Under the crossing inside the Salzburg Cathedral, in the foundations of the medieval cathedrals, a crypt was constructed in 1957- 59 as a burial vault for Archbishops of Salzburg, with a number of chambers. The central chamber, a chapel, has an altar set on a fragment of wall from the Carolingian cathedral, with a Romanesque crucifix of the early 13th C. The chamber to the north, which extends eastward outside the Cathedral, was originally part of the lower church of the Romanesque cathedral and preserves the central piers, pilasters and column bases from that church.
The Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum; situated in the south oratories of the cathedral; entrance from the porch) contains some valuable liturgical objects as well as objets d'art from the Salzburg archdiocese. The exhibits range from the Carolingian Cross of St Rupert (eighth C.), Gothic statues and paintings, valuable items from the cathedral treasury, including the priceless monstrance of 1697 and the Guiseppe Valadier Chalice (1803), to curiosities from the episcopal Chamber of Art and Miracles.
Address: Domplatz 1, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria
You may also be interested in:
More on PlanetWare