Gorizia Tourist Attractions
SituationThe provincial capital of Gorizia lies just on the Slovenian frontier at the west end of the karstic limestone country, where the fertile valley of the Isonzo emerges into the plain of Friuli. Gorizia is the see of an archbishop. The old town lies around the castle on its hill (148m/488ft); the newer districts adjoin the station.EconomyThe fruit trade, as well as some industry (cotton, silk, paper, furniture) and tourism are important features of the economy.HistoryFrom 1500 until 1918 the country of Gorizia belonged to Austria. During the First World War, lying as it did on the important road to Austria, it was almost continuously in the front line and was largely destroyed. In 1947 the eastern suburbs of the town, with the Montesanto station, were transferred to what was then Yugoslavia. On the other side of the frontier the town is known as "Nova Gorica".
At the foot of the northwest side of the castle hill in Gorizia is the triangular Piazza della Vittoria, in which are the Prefecture and the Jesuit church of Sant' Ignazio (17th century). From here Via Rastello runs south to the cathedral (originally 14th century; completely rebuilt 1927), with a treasury containing gold and silver objects of the 12th-14th centuries.
From the Piazza del Duomo a road climbs east to the Castello, once the seat of the counts of Gorizia. Nearby is the Museo di Storia e Arte, which houses exhibits of local history, archeology and applied art.
Museo della Grande Guerra
Battlefields of the Isonzo
From Gorizia the battlefields of the Isonzo, where twelve battles were fought in 1915-17, can be visited (though some of the battle area now lies within the former Yugoslavia).
Military Cemetery of Oslavia
3.5km/2.25mi north of Gorizia, on a hill (175m/578ft) beyond the Isonzo, is the military cemetery of Oslavia, laid out in 1938, with an ossuary containing the remains of 60,000 Italians who fell in the First World War.
Monte San Michele
11km/7mi from Gorizia on the Trieste road a minor road branches off to San Martino del Carso (163m/538ft) and Monte San Michele (277m/914ft; far-ranging views), with old military positions and a small war museum.