In the old town of Larnaca is St Lazarus's Church, with the relics of the Saint.
Saint Lazarus is the patron saint of Larnaca. After his resurrection by Christ, he lived here for another 30 years. He was ordained Bishop of Kition by Saints Barnabas and Mark.
His relics are located in this church, created in his honor.
The church was built in the ninth century by Emperor Leo VI and was faithfully restored in the 17th century, and the iconostasi is an excellent example of Baroque woodcarving.
Its white painted belfry is highly distinctive and escaped the Turkish ban on such structures.
It has four domes over the nave and the roof is supported on four sets of double columns. The pulpit is uniquely placed in one of these columns and is lavishly decorated in gilt. In another column there is a silver icon from 1659, with a picture of St Lazarus. There are also good paintings of the Virgin and Child and St George and the Dragon. The iconostasis or screen between the altar and the main church is a good example of wood carving in the Baroque style.
Eight days before the Greek Orthodox Easter, the icon of St Lazarus is taken in procession through the streets of Larnaca.