Frederiksborg Castle lies on three islands in the little Frederiksborg Lake in Hillerød. The castle, restored in its original style after a fire in 1859, is considered to be the epitome of Danish Renaissance architecture. Since 1888 the main courtyard has been adorned with a copy of the Fountain of Neptune by Adrian de Vries (1623), the original of which was taken to Sweden in 1658. After the completion of Fredensborg Castle, Frederiksborg gradually acquired the character of a museum in the course of the 18th and 19th centuries and the Knights' Hall was made into a picture gallery.
Frederiksborg Castle Map
Official site: www.dnm.dk/dk/index.htm
Opening hours: Mar 18 to Oct 31: 10am-5pm
Nov 1 to Mar 17: 11am-3pm
Nov 1 to Mar 17: 11am-3pm
Entrance fee in DKK: Family kr120.00, Adult kr60.00, Senior kr50.00, Child 15 & under kr15.00, Child 6 & under FREE
Useful tips: No tripods or flash photography.
Guides: Guided tour included with admission.
Facilities: Restaurant or food service
Frederiksborg Castle Highlights
Main Building / Museum
The actual castle of Frederiksborg is situated on the third of three islands. It has three wings - the north Royal Wing, the west Chapel Wing and the east Princesses' Wing. A low Terrace Wing joins it to the central island. Since 1877 it has been furnished as a Museum of National History, with financial assistance bestowed in accordance with the scientific and artistic aims of the Carlsberg Fund. The museum provides the visitor with an overall view of Danish history and culture by means of pictures, portraits, valuable furniture and objets d'art.
Frederiksborg Castle Church
The castle church in the west wing escaped damage in the fire of 1859. The nave with its Gothic stellar vaulting is supported on columns of gilded sandstone. The magnificent interior includes marble inlay and alabaster figures, pews with marquetry inlay, an ebony pulpit, a silver font and an organ with a fine tone; organ concerts are given in the church.
Interesting rooms in Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerod include the Knights' Chamber - with groined vaulting, carved chests and cabinets - and the Knights' Hall (originally the Ballroom) above the castle church; the latter is decorated with superb ornaments and silver figures, while the ceiling is adorned with expensive wood-carvings. Unfortunately, tapestries portraying the Coronation of 1596 fell victim to a fire. The chandeliers were designed around 1900 by the architect Carl Brummer. Portraits of Christian IX and other Danish kings also hang in the Hall.
The early 19th C. saw a blossoming of Danish literature, art and science. Portraits of well-known personalities of the period can be seen in Room 55 of Frederiksborg Castle, Hillerod, including those of the sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen, the poet Adam Oehlenschläger, the physicist H. C. Ørsted and Nicolai Frederik Grundtvig, founder of the Adult Education Movement. Also of interest is the painting of the inaugural meeting of the Imperial Assembly in Room 61 on October 23, 1848 when Denmark's new constitution was formulated.