Luxembourg Tourist Attractions
The city of Luxembourg, with its population of 120,000, is the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is the residence of H.R.H. the Grand Duke, the seat of Government and the archbishop, and home to diplomatic and consular corps.
The City of Luxembourg and its ancient quarters and fortifications were designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1994. Luxembourg has also been named European Capital of Culture twice, in 1995, and again in 2007.The Court of Justice of the European Union, the Court of Auditors for the E.U., the general secretariat of the European Parliament, and the European Monetary Fund are also located in Luxembourg city.Luxembourg was one of the world's most powerful fortresses for many centuries, and was dismantled between 1867-1883. Many of the relics have been preserved. The fortifications are now home to many parks and gardens, as well as the Casemates, an extensive network of underground tunnels carved in the rock. The city also has many bridges and interesting architecture in addition to many banks and other attractions.The City of Luxembourg and its ancient quarters and fortifications were designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1994.
National Art and History Museum
The National Art and History Museum in Luxembourg has over 120 rooms containing objects of art, archeological finds, furniture, tools, coins, arms and documents which show the history of the Grand Duchy and of life in the region, from prehistory to the present. There is a particular emphasis on the Gallo-Roman period, and Luxembourg Life, which illustrates the material, artistic, social, religious and intellectual life of Luxembourgers from the 16th to the early 20th C.In the Fine Arts section are housed old sculptures and paintings, including "Chariy", attributed to Cranach, and "Bacchus, Venus and Cupid" by Florentine mannerist Rosso.The Contemporary Art section is furnished with the works of the most important artists of the 20th C. The museum hosts, on loan, the famous Bentinck-Thyssen collection (works of art from the 15th to 18th C.: Van Dyck, Holbein, El Greco, Watteau, Canatello, etc.).
Luxembourg's Bock cliff, with its cannon-loopholes, is joined to the city by the Castle Bridge (1735) in which is the entrance to the famous Casemates. On the Bock plateau are the remains of the old castle, discovered in 1963, now the Memorial of the Millennial Existence of the City. There are beautiful views of the suburb of Grund and of the Rham Plateau, also of the barracks built by Vauban (1865), the big towers and remains of the Wenceslas wall (1390). In the distance is the powder-magazine of Fort Rubamprèz (1847), the redoubt of Fort Rumigny (Vauban, 1688). Further on can be seen the National Institute of Sports and, higher up, the remains of Fort Dumoulin.
Walls of the Corniche
The Walls of the Corniche in Luxembourg has what is known as "the most beautiful balcony in Europe", as well the big Gate of the Grund (1632). To the left, the ramparts reveal several aristocratic houses and refuges. At the other end is the ancient convent of the Dominicans and St Michael's church (987). In the suburb of Grund is a large cluster of buildings with the church and ancient Abbey of Neumünster (688-1705) with a cloister of Limoges (16th C.), an organ (1720) and a "black virgin" (14th C.). The adjacent buildings are the ancient "Hospice St-Jean" founded by Emperor Henri VII, Count of Luxembourg, in 1309.
Goethe stayed twice in Luxembourg in 1792 and the monument commemorates those visits. Below the monument is the suburb of Clausen. Next to its church stands a villa with a small tower. Here is the birthplace of Robert Schuman (1886), "the father of Europe". In the background is the European Center (tower building and European hemicycle). Looking down the visitor can see the former Holy Spirit convent. Today it is the St-Jean City Hospice. Also nearby are the seat of the State Council (arcaded building), St Michael's Church, and the State Museum.
Luxembourg's Place Guillaume is the former emplacement of a Franciscan convent and has been converted into a pedestrian zone. In the center is the equestrian statue of Wiiliam II (Mercié, 1884), King of Holland and Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Also here are the Town Hall (J.E. Rémont, 1830-38) and Trémont's lions (1931). Nearby is the Renaissance House of Raville (16th C.), restored in 1978. It has a beautiful front, a well-restored balcony and a spiral staircase. Today it belongs to the UCL-Bank.
From the Spanish turret is Luxembourg is a view of the Pfaffenthal suburb with the ancient cavalry-barracks of Vauban (1685), dominated by the former forts of Upper and Lower Grünewald (1685), Olizy (1688) and Thungen (1688 and 1732). These are known as the "Three Acorns".Pfaffenthal also reveals the Gates of Eich and of the "Bons Malades" (Vauban, 1685), with their high pyramid roofs. Here also is the Grand-Duchesse Charlotte Bridge (1966; 85m high and 355m long; weight: 4,800 tons).Nearby are three towers dating partly from 1050 (second ring of fortifications).
The Casemates in Luxembourg are a 21km network of underground passages hewn from the solid rock. The entrance to the Casemates is at the Bock Cliff.They were capable of sheltering thousands of defenders during their time, as well as equipment, horses, workshops for artillery, kitchens, bakeries and slaughterhouses. Their area measures 40,000 sq. m.
The Grand-Ducal Palace in Luxembourg is a Renaissance building in two parts. The old part dates from 1572 and the middle part from 1741-43 (Baroque; transformed into Renaissance style in 1891). Adjoining on the right is the Chamber of Deputies (1858-59). Nearby is the Fishmarket, a former Roman crossroads and the center of the old town.
Chapel of St Quirin
Chapel St Quirin in Luxembourg dates from the 14th C. and earlier. Nearby, under the shade of the Holy Ghost Citadel is the Viaduct (1859-61), a majestic bridge with 25 arches, also called the "Passerelle".Also nearby is the Adolphe Bridge (1899-1903; height 45 m, length 85 m). Here too is the Place de Bruxelles.
Monument of National Unity
From the Monument of National Unity (1971) in Luxembourg there are excellent views over the valley of the Pétrusse and the Alzette, the Rham plateau and the Grund susurb. Nearby is the Record Office (1862), the ancient barracks of the Prussian garrison.
The Place D'Armes in Luxembourg is the center of the capital city and was newly fitted up in 1986. The building is called "Cercle Municipal" and has a tourist information booth. Around the corner is the Rathskeller fortress (there is a model of the fortress and a slide show). The French Embassy is also nearby.
Ancient Bastion Louis
The Ancient Bastion Louis in Luxembourg is near the Ministry of Public Works and the British Embassy residence. Nearby is the Revenue Office and the Protestant Church with the ancient convent of the Congregation (18th C.).
Ancient Jesuit College
The Ancient Jesuit College (1603-11, 1687, 1735) in Luxembourg is now home to the National Library. Also in the area is the Cathedral of Our Lady (1935-38) and the former boarding school of St Sophy (-1973) run by the Chanoinesses of St Augustin.
Constitution Square in Luxembourg has the war memorial, built in 1923 and obelisk restored in 1985. There is a nice view over the "Pétrusse" Valley and the Adolphe Bridge (1899-1903).
The Capucin's Theater in Luxembourg holds many special events and festivals and has recently been restored.
Holy Ghost Citadel
The Holy Ghost Citadel and barracks (1865) in Luxembourg where built by the architect Vauban.
There a few events of interest in the city of Luxembourg.
This religious festival is based on an annual pilgrimage to the Luxembourg Cathedral to worship Our Lady of Luxembourg on the third Sunday after Easter. The pilgrimage attracts pagan participants, who profit by setting up food and souvenir stalls across from the Cathedral. A solemn procession ends the festival on the fifth Sunday after Easter.
City Shepherd's Market
This annual market has become one of the top amusement fairs in the region. The fair was founded in 1340 by the Count of Luxembourg and King of Bohemia. The festival runs from late August to early September and includes a sheep parade, street concerts, and food and craft stalls.
Tramway and Bus Museum
There is a Tram and Bus Museum in Luxembourg.