Follow Us:

Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Dundee, Scotland

The fourth-largest city in Scotland spreads along the north bank of the Firth of Tay at the foot of Balgary Hill (480ft/145m) and Law (571ft/174m). Jute, jam and journalism were the three trades that for many years brought prosperity to the town.
ENLARGE MAP PRINT MAP EMBED < > Dundee Map - Tourist Attractions Dundee Map - Attractions

Tay Bridges

The Tay Rail Bridge in Dundee.
The famous iron bridge over the Tay was built between 1872 and 1878 by Thomas Bouch and it carried the railroad line from Dundee to Edinburgh. With a span of 2mi/3km it was then the longest bridge in the world. However, in 1879 after a storm it collapsed and a train plunged into the water drowning the 75 passengers. It took nine years for the present Tay Rail Bridge to be constructed. The Tay Road Bridge and footpath - completed in 1966 - is also 2mi/3km in length. Two viewing platforms on the bridge afford fine views over the town and Firth of Tay.

Discovery Point

With the aid of special effects and audio-visual presentations, the new Discovery Point Visitor Center (1993) documents the history of the sailing ship the R.R.S. Discovery and also vividly illustrates the natural wilderness and awe-inspiring beauty of the polar regions.

RRS Discovery

The RRS Discovery at Dundee.
To the west of the Tay Road Bridge on Riverside Drive lies the "Royal Research Discovery", a vessel built in Dundee to take Robert F. Scott on his expedition to the Antarctic between 1901 and 1904. This lovingly restored research ship which carried a crew of 30 into the polar ice has become a new symbol for the town.

HM Frigate Unicorn

The HM Frigate Unicorn at Dundee.
H.M. frigate Unicorn is moored to the east of the Tay Bridge in Victoria Dock. Equipped with 46 cannons, it was launched in 1824 in Chatham and as the oldest seaworthy warship in the British Isles, it is well worth a closer look.
Carved from Canadian pine, the splendid figurehead, a white unicorn with the royal coat-of-arms, was designed in Hampshire by Trevor Ellis.
Address: Victoria Dock, Dundee DD1 3BP, Scotland

St Mary's Tower

With Dundee the center of many conflicts, few historic buildings have survived. The only witness to the city's medieval past is the 155ft/47m high St Mary's Tower (15th century). It was rebuilt after suffering damage during World War II.

Mercat Cross

On the south side of the church (1630) stands a replica of the medieval market cross, formerly in Seagate.

Howff

Situated opposite the Barrack Street Museum, Dundee's 300-year-old graveyard used to be a garden in Grayfriars monastery, which was a gift to the town by Mary Stuart. Up until 1778 the Howff was the meeting place for the town's nine craft guilds and the tradesmen's marks and symbols can be seen on many of the gravestones.

McManus Galleries

Just a few yards further east from the Howff lies Albert Square which is dominated by a grand Victorian building designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1867. Inside, the McManus Galleries keep a collection of works by 19th and 20th century European masters and local painters (including art nouveau by George Dutch Davidson) and also local history exhibits from prehistoric times to the present day. The archaeological department contains some particularly interesting artifacts from ancient Egypt.
Dundee's natural history collection, once in the Barrack Street Museum, is now in the MacManus. The collection concentrates on the wildlife of the Lowlands and Highlands. The exhibitions explore the enviornmental and nature themes.
Address: Albert Square, Dundee DD1 1DA, Scotland

St Andrew's Church

Follow Dundee's busy pedestrianized Panmure Street eastward to King Street. On the left stands St Andrew's Church. Designed by Samuel Bell in 1772, much of the finance for it came from the guilds and their coats-of-arms appear in the stained glass windows.

St Paul's Cathedral

The tall tower (213ft/65m) of the Neo-Gothic St Paul's Cathedral stands proudly over the city and is visible from many miles away. The cathedral, to the south-west of St Andrew's in Castlehill, was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and was completed in 1853. A retable by the Venetian Salviati adorns the altar.
Address: 1 High Street, Dundee DD1 1TD, Scotland

City Square

High Street leads on to City Square (pedestrianized zone), the busy heart of the city. It is overlooked by the town hall, Caird Hall, a concert and conference hall with seating for 2,500 (1923), and the tourist information office. City Square is a good place to start a tour of the shops. The main stores are located in High Street, Commercial Street and Panmure Street.

Verdant Works

The museum (Verdant Works) in this renovated jute factory situated to the west of the city by West Henderson's Wynd documents the heyday of Dundee's textile industry during the 19th century.
Address: West Hendertson's Wynd, Dundee DD1 5BT, Scotland

Dudhope Park & Castle

Dudhope Park with a 16th C castle (not open to the public) is situated 1mi/1.6km northwest of Dundee city center. It was originally the seat of the Scrymgeor family but in 1683 it passed to the Graham family. In the mid-18th C the castle became a wool factory and later a barracks. It has been fully restored and is used by the city council for official functions.

Mills Observatory

The Mills Observatory (1935) stands on Balgary Hill about 2mi/3km west of the city center of Dundee.
Address: Glamis Road, Balgay Park, Dundee DD2 2UB, Scotland

University of Dundee Botanic Gardens

Follow Riverside Drive west from the Tay Road Bridge for about 3mi/5km. The Botanic Gardens of Dundee University were laid out in 1971 and are noted for their varied species of conifers, aquatic plants and herbs.
Address: Riverside Drive, Dundee DD2 1QH, Scotland

Camperdown Wildlife Centre

Camperdown Park, 4mi/6km northwest of Dundee city center, is devoted to preserving wildlife. Visitors to the park can observe red deer, brown bears, wolves, lynx, pine martens, polar foxes, pheasants and golden eagles.
Address: Camperdown Country Park, Coupar Angus Road, Dundee DD2 4TF, Scotland

Claypotts Castle

The A92 passes through the residential district at the east end of Dundee before the rambling towers of Claypotts Castle come into view. This grand Z-plan tower house was built for the Strachan family between 1569 and 1588.
Address: Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Jedburgh TD8 6JQ, Scotland

Sensation

Sensation Dundee has over 60 hands-on exhibits that bring science to life. Visitors can sit inside an eyeball, sniff out pheromones or try keyhole surgery.
Address: Greenmarket, Dundee DD1 4QB, Scotland

Surroundings

Sightseeing Nearby:

More on PlanetWare