El Presidio Historic District, Tucson
The El Presidio Historic District with its adobe houses dating from the colonial period has been lovingly renovated.El Presidio Historic District is a residential neighborhood featuring Spanish-Mexican, Anglo-American and Eclectic architectural styles. El Presidio is one of the oldest inhabited sites in the US. A prehistoric Hohokam Indian site and the original presidio (or fort) have been incorporated into the El Presidio Historic District.
Useful tips: Tours are offered October 1 through May 1, Tuesday- Saturday at 11:00am, and on the first and third Sunday at 2:00pm.
Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block
The Museum of Art, housed in five restored buildings, has a rich collection which includes contemporary art and applied art.The permanent collection includes Art of the American West, Art of Latin America, as well as rare books and manuscripts.
Address: 140 North Main Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85701-8218, United States
Opening hours: 10am-4pm; Sun: 12pm-4pm; Closed: Mon
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), Memorial Day - USA (last Monday, May), Labor Day - USA (1st Monday, Sep), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25)
Entrance fee in USD: Adult $8.00, Senior over 60 $6.00, Students $3.00, Child 12 & under FREE
Useful tips: Free admission on the first Sunday of each month.
Disability Access: Full facilities for persons with disabilities.
Facilities: Gift shop
La Casa Cordova
Part of the Tucson Museum of Art, La Casa Cordova is among the oldest homes in the city and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is well known for the annual El Nacimiento exhibition which runs from November to March and shows a presentation of the Christmas story.La Casa Cordova has been restored to the original floor plan from 1883 and the interior has been restored and furnished in the style of an 1850 northern Sonora dwelling.The enclosed courtyard has also been authentically restored.
The Fish House, now part of the Tucson Museum of Art, was once the home of Edward Nye Fish, a politician and entrepreneur of the 19th C. Built on the site of old Mexican barracks, the building now houses the John K Goodman Pavilion of Western Art.Fish House was originally built in an L shape but during the early 1880's five more rooms were added! Ornate furnishings and imported china decorated the interior of the house.
CJ Knox Corbett House
The CJ Knox Corbett House was built in 1906 for the Corbett family. The brick and stucco building now functions as part of the Tucson Museum of Art.The Corbett House is a mission-revival style two-story home that has been restored and features period pieces from the American Arts and Crafts era. The furnishings include mahogany furniture and European imports.
The Stevens Home, now part of the Tucson Museum of Art, was the home of cattle baron Hiram Sanford Stevens. It became the social center of 19th-century Tucson. The Stevens Home houses the Art of the Americas collection including pre-Columbian, Mexican folk art, and colonial works.
The Romero House was built in 1868, and is now part of the Tucson Museum of Art - the ceramics studio. It incorporates part of the original Presidio wall. The original owner was Leonardo Romero, the town carpenter.
Old Town Artisans
The Old Town Artisans is a restored 1850s marketplace in downtown Tucson. It includes an entire city block of shops, galleries, and a restaurant set in unique buildings. The stores offer selections of art, jewelry, crafts, home decor, and other items by artists from Tucson and around the state. Some of the items on offer include pottery, paintings, metal work, photography, Native American wool rugs, and carvings, among others.The restaurant offers el fresco dining, or indoor seating in the converted 1920¹s gasoline station. Visitors come here as much for the shopping as they do for the atmosphere.
Located on North Court Avenue in Tucson, El Charro was built early in the 1900s by Julius Le Flin, the same man who built the St Augustine Cathedral. In 1922, El Charro Café was established and it is the oldest Mexican restaurant in continuous operation in the US by the same family.
El Presidio Park
El Presidio Park is on Alameda, west of Church, in downtown Tucson. It is located on the site of the Plaza de las Armas, the southern half of the frontier Presidio designated by Colonel Hugo O'Conor of the Spanish army in 1775. This is also the location of Tucson's Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Manning House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is located on West Paseo Redondo in Tucson. It was built in 1907 by the Mayor of the time, Levi Howell Manning. The Manning Estate has grapefruit, orange and lemon trees which provide fruit for many of the dishes served in the restaurant.
Pima County Courthouse
The Pima County Courthouse is a colorful building constructed in 1928, on the site of earlier structures built in 1868 and 1881. The building is a mix of Spanish, Southwest and Moorish architecture. The position of the original Presidio wall is indicated in the courtyard, and a piece is available for viewing inside.
Sam Hughes House
The Sam Hughes House on North Main Avenue in Tucson is named for the man who moved into it in 1868, enlarging it to accommodate his wife and 15 children. It is now a series of garden apartments.
Architect Henry Trost, one of the city's most noted architects, designed Steinfeld House in Tucson. Built in 1900 in California Mission Revival style, the Stenfield House served as a gentleman's club for eligible bachelors.
Julius Kruttschnitt House
The Julius Kruttschnitt House on North Main Avenue in Tucson is a Territorial-style adobe house built in 1886. It is now the home of El Presidio Bed and Breakfast.
Owl's Club Mansion
The Owl's Club Mansion is located on North Main Avenue in Tucson. The building was designed in 1901 by architect Henry Trost, and was once a gentlemen's club.
El Presidio Historic District Pictures
Map of Tucson Attractions