Kristinehamn Tourist Attractions
From Mariestad the road runs by way of Gullspånd, on the boundary between Västergötland and Värmland, to Kristinehamn (pop. 26,000), a town whose character has been shaped by its location on Lake Vänern. A market center and port in the Middle Ages, it grew in importance with the development of iron-mining in Bergslagen, when the ore was shipped from Kristinehamn.The town received its municipal charter in 1642, during the minority of Queen Christina, after whom it was named. The importance of Kristinehamn as a port for the shipment of iron ore and timber was further increased in the mid 19th century, when the railroad came to the town; and it is still a considerable port.On a promontory reaching put into the lake stands a 15m/50ft high concrete sculpture by Picasso which he presented to the town in 1965. Some 4km/2.5mi south of the town center can be seen a runic stone dating from the year 500. 5km/3mi west of the town is the Östervik Chapel, built by Georg Adlersparre in 1869. The Kristinehamn Church, opened in 1858, has a museum in the sanctuary gallery with notable architecture.At Kristinehamn E 18, coming from Stockholm, joins the road round Lake Vänern.
25km/15mi from Kristinehamn, at the north end of Lake Möckeln, is Karlskoga (pop. 34,000), which received its municipal charter only in 1940. This has been a mining area for many centuries. On the east side of Karlskoga are the large Bofors steelworks and rolling mill, founded in 1646, which were acquired in the late 19th century by Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite and founder of the Nobel Prizes; Nobel Museum. To the north of Karlskoga is a wooden church with 16th century wall paintings.From Kristinehamn the road continues along the shores of Lake Vänern to Karlstad.The lake offers boating, swimming and beach volleyball opportunities in summer, and ice skating in winter.
See Alfred Nobel's last home in Sweden and his laboratory where he made many inventions. The Bofors Industrial Museum is also found onsite.