Having previously been somewhat neglected by archaeologists, investigation of Kabah resumed in 1990. A visit to the site is highly recommended, situated as it is right beside the Mérida-Campeche road just 20km/12.4mi south of Uxmal. An additional attraction is that, since 1993, the 1000 ha (2470 acre) site has been a designated conservation area (Parque Estatal). Although the buildings so far excavated at Kabah are in the traditional Puuc style, they have revealed unusual features which are attributed to Chenes influence.
How to get there
By bus from Campeche and Mérida; by car from Campeche on the MEX 261, about 120km/75mi, from Mérida on the MEX 261 about 130km/80mi, from Uxmal about 20km/12.4mi.
Little is known of the history of Kabah. It seems to have been a dependency of the great city of Uxmal, with which it is linked by a sacbé, one of the Maya "white roads" used mostly for ceremonial purposes. In the mid 19th c. the site was explored by the indefatigable John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood, but the first systematic digs were carried out by Teobert Maler towards the end of the century. These and later excavations have shown that the principal buildings on the site date from the 9th c., also that Kabah was abandoned in about 1200.