Sights South of the Ring, Vienna
The Belvedere Palaces contain the Museum of Medieval Art, the Austrian Baroque Museum, and the Museum of 19th and 20th C Austrian Art. Collectively these museums form the Austrian Gallery.
Karlskirche, a church built in Baroque style, features beautiful frescoes in the interior. Karlskirche is one of the most important religious buildings in Vienna and is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo.
The Historical Museum in Vienna showcases the city's history throughout the years. The Museum features three floors of interesting artifacts and information.
Vienna's Academy of Fine Arts features a superb picture gallery and print collection in addition to providing training for artists. It has produced some of the most skilled architects and painters in Vienna.
The north side of the Karlsplatz square is formed by the Handelsakademie, the Künstlerhaus and the Musikverein building, on the south side are the Karlskirche and the Technical University, a building erected 1816-18 with an upper story added later. On the east side stands the Historisches Museum of the city of Vienna.In the gardens in the southern part of Karlsplatz stand monuments to Johannes Brahms (1908), to Josef Ressel (1862), the inventor of the ship's screw, and to Josef Madersperger (1933), the inventor of the sewing-machine.Karlsplatz, where important trams and underground routes converge, is one of the busiest squares in central Vienna. In 1977-78 the square was newly laid out and the striking station building of Otto Wagner was re-erected. One of Wagner's 1901 pavilions, decorated with marble and gold leaf, now serves as an entrance to the U-Bahn station and also for minor temporary exhibitions of the Historical Museum; the other one becomes a cafe in summer.On the west side at Treitlstrasse (no. 2) an exhibition hall for modern art with an area of 950sq.m/10,226sq.ft was opened in 1992 by Adolf Krischanitz (open: Mon., Wed.-Sun. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Thur. 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.).
Theater an der Wien
The Theater an der Wien opened in 1801 and has been converted several times since. Its "Papagentor" (Papageno Gate) in Millöckergasse shows the first manager of the theater and librettist of the "Magic Flute", Emanuel Schikaneder, in the role of Papageno. It was in the Theater an der Wien that Beethoven's "Fidelio" had its première in 1805, and dramas by Grillparzer, Nestroy and Raimund as well as numerous operettas by Strauss, Lehár and von Suppé were also first performed here. Between 1945 and 1955 the Staatsoper made this their temporary home, and in the early 1960s it was completely modernized. In the years 1983-92, under the leadership of Peter Weck, it developed into a first- rate musical theater; in 1992 the successful musical "Elisabeth", put to music by the Grammy prizewinner Sylvester Levay and produced by Harry Kupfer, had its première here.
Maria Hilf Church
In the Maria Hilf pilgrimage church in Vienna there are numerous sacred objects venerated by pilgrims. The "Gnadenbild" (Portrayal of Mercy) is a copy of the original on the Mariahilfberg at Passau. After the destruction of the original church by the Turks, it was rebuilt in 1683, probably by Sebastiano Carlone. It subsequently underwent considerable alterations and was not dedicated until 1730. In a chapel built on to the church stands a monumental figure of Christ on the Cross; it comes from the "Malefizspitzbubenhaus", an ancient prison which used to stand in Rauhensteingasse and from where criminals were conveyed to the Hoher Markt for execution.In front of the church stands a memorial to the composer Joseph Haydn which was unveiled in 1887.
Joseph Haydn acquired the single-story house in the little street known as Steingasse (which later received the name Haydngasse) in 1793. He lived here until his death, and it was here he wrote his oratorios "The Creation" and "The Seasons".When he died in 1809 shortly after the second occupation of Vienna by the French, Napoleon ordered the posting of a Guard of Honor outside his house.The museum here was opened in 1899. Among the objects on display are letters, manuscripts and personal possessions as well as two pianos and the deathmask of the composer.Also in the house is a memorial room to Brahms, with mementos and furniture from the composer's last home and a pictorial record of his later life and works.
The square in front of Vienna's Academy of Fine Arts used to be called the Kalkmarkt, but it was changed to Schillerplatz (Schiller Square) in 1876. At the same time the Schiller Memorial, the work of Johann Schiller from Dresden, was unveiled. The plinth is of red granite. The allegorical bronze figures represent the Four Ages of Man, and the reliefs portray Genius, Poetry, Truth and Learning. On the monument Schiller is shown standing with Goethe sitting to one side. It is said that the admirers of Schiller were furious about this, but Franz Josef I is supposed to have spoken in favor of portraying Goethe sitting: "Let the old fellow be comfortable..."
Palais Schwarzenberg, now a luxury hotel, was one of the first summer residences to be constructed outside the city walls of Vienna. Its interior is particularly fine. Prince Schwarzenberg settled in his own way the rivalry between the two great Baroque architects, J. B. Fischer von Erlach and J. L. von Hildebrandt. The first sketches were the work of Hildebrandt, in 1720 alterations were undertaken by Fischer von Erlach, and the magnificent Baroque gardens were laid out by the latter's son. After the end of the war the damaged palace was meticulously restored. However, it proved impossible to save completely the frescoes by Daniel Gran.
The chief attractions of the Botanical Gardens are its succulents and its orchids as well as the important collection of Austrian plants housed in the Sundial House.The garden, originally only for medicinal plants, was laid out by Maria Theresa in 1757 on the advice of her physician G. van Swieten. It is said that when one of the plants failed to bring the Empress any relief from an illness she ordered the physician and botanist Nikolaus von Jacquin to forget about the medicinal plants and turn the place into a botanical garden which she gave to the university.
Church of the Holy Angels
The Paulanites were summoned to Vienna by Emperor Ferdinand II. Dedicated to the "Guardian Angels", the monastery church - Paulanerkirche - was built between 1627 and 1651.It was rebuilt following its destruction in the Turkish siege of 1668 and was restored in 1817. After the dissolution of the monastic order it was made a parish church in 1784. Inside will be found some important oil-paintings, including a "Crucifixion" (second altar) by J. M. Rottmayr. The ceiling fresco is attributed to Carlo Carlone.
The Künstlerhaus (House of the Artists) is used for art exhibitions, cultural events and art festivals.The most famous are the "Gschnas" festivals in spring. The Vienna Artists' Society, founded in 1861, had this building put up in 1865-68.The marble standing figures by the entrance represent Diego Velásquez, Raphael Santi, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo Buonarotti, Albrecht Dürer, Titian, Bramante and Peter Paul Rubens.
University of Technology
The University of Technology (Technische Universität) on the southern side of Karlsplatz in Vienna was founded in 1815 as a Technical College. The original Neo-Classical building (by Joseph Schemerl, 1815-18) has been considerably extended by later additions. The extension of the east (Karlgasse 4) occupies the site of a house where Brahms lived from 1872 until his death in 1897.
Between the garden of the Belvedere Palaces in Vienna and the Botanical Gardens is a large Alpine Garden with a comprehensive display of rare plants which is open in fine weather.
Address: 3, Landstrasser Gürtel 1, Austria
Opening hours: Apr 1 to Jun 30: Sun: 9am-6pm; Mon: 10am-6pm; Tue: 10am-6pm; Wed: 10am-6pm; Thu: 10am-6pm; Fri: 10am-6pm; Sat: 9am-6pm
Entrance fee: FREE
Useful tips: Closed in rain or strong wind.
Transit: Tram: D, O, bus 18: Sudbahnhof.
The Naschmarkt is by far the largest and most interesting of the markets in Vienna, with an enormous amount of produce on sale.
Opening hours: 6am-6:30pm; Sat: 6am-1pm; Closed: Sun
Naschmarket area Otto Wagner buildings
In Linke Wienzeile (near Naschmarket) in Vienna there are two interesting Art Nouveau buildings by Otto Wagner. In 1973 the entire facade of No. 38 was regilded. The medallions between the windows are the work of Kolo Moser; the doorway in Köstlergasse was designed by Josef PlecÄnik. The oval stairway and decorative lift cage are also of interest.In 1899 Otto Wagner covered the facade of No. 40 entirely with majolica tiles decorated with plant motifs; on the frieze are sculpted lions' heads in bronze. This house, too, has an interesting stairway.
Address: 7, Döblergasse 4, Austria
Useful tips: Open upon request.
Transit: U-Bahn: Kettenbruckengasse
Naschmarkt Flea Market
Map of Vienna Attractions
More on PlanetWare