Northern Outer Districts
Stretching across 3200 acres of land, the Prater natural park offers a number of recreational activities. The park features eating houses, dance halls, a dinosaur park, riding school, swimming pool and soccer stadium.
The Hundertwasserhaus is a collection of colorful apartments that form a council housing complex. The facades of the complex are inspired by the houses in Venice, Italy.
Built to completion in 1677, the Servants of Our Lady Church is amongst the earliest buildings in the city.
This complex, developed in the 1970s, is extra territorial and home to numerous international organizations.
The Danube Park borders UNO City and occupies 1 million sq.m/250 acres which makes it the second largest park in Vienna. It was laid out in 1964 in connection with the Vienna International Garden Show (WIG '64) at a cost of 7 million schillings. The Danube Park railroad, a narrow- gauge line, runs around the gardens. There is an artificial lake (Lake Iris) on the bank of which stands a theater which seats 4,000.
The Danube Tower is 252m/825ft high, which makes it the tallest building in Vienna. It was opened in 1964 and restored in 1991. It weighs 17,600 tons, and it is 31m/100ft in diameter at the base. Two express lifts ascend to 165m/540ft in 45 seconds. They lead to the viewing chamber and to the two revolving restaurants. The rates at which they revolve around the axis of the tower can both be regulated so that a cycle takes either 26, 39 or 52 minutes.
Danube City is a city within Vienna next to the Danube River. It is home to offices, shops, restaurants, cultural facilities and a variety of moderately-priced residences.
In April 1991 the KunstHausWien opened its doors, a double monument to the architect and painter Friedensreich Hundertwasser: the museum
being an exhibit in itself and an exhibition hall for the varied work of this rebel architect. The house, designed by Hundertwasser and Pelikan in the style of the nearby Hundertwasserhaus, was used from 1892 by the Thonet brothers as a workshop for their world famous bow wood furniture. There are over 100 different Thonet chairs to try out in the ground level museum cafe. The privately owned KunstHausWien has on two floors about 300 paintings, graphics, tapestries and models of Hundertwasser's environmentally friendly architectural projects, both fulfillled and unfulfilled, and two further floors dedicated to changing exhibitions of internationally famous artists' work. This fascinating architectural dream of forms and colors has a colorful tiled facade with different types of windows on a wavy chess board pattern background. In keeping with the natural feel the floor is uneven a "melody for the feet" designed to stimulate and "uplift" the visitor.The relatively new KunstHaus has quickly become an important cultural center in Vienna. The museum is held in the former Thonet houses, with colorful murals adorning the sides of the exterior walls.The museum gives great emphasis on Friedensreich Hundertwasser, with the only permanent display of his work in the world. The museum also puts on specialized exhibitions on other subjects.Also impressive is the KunstHaus Café and Restaurant, with a hundred Thonet chairs that can be used by patrons.A Museum shop is also open during the same hours as the museum.
Address: Untere Weissgerberstrasse 13, A-1030 Vienna, Austria
Opening hours: 10am-7pm
Entrance fee in EUR: Family €20.00, Adult €9.00, Students €7.00, Child 10 & under FREE
Guides: Guided tour available as optional extra.
Facilities: Gift shop, Restaurant or food service
Sigmund Freud lived in the house at 19 Berggasse for almost half a century, from 1891 to 1938. It was here that he wrote his theories
including "Dreams and their Meaning" (1900) and received the official announcement in 1902 that the Emperor had awarded him an honorary Professorship.Of the 15 rooms in the house, only Freud's "working" rooms are open to the public: the vestibule, waiting room, treatment room and study have been turned into a museum by the Sigmund Freud Society in 1971 and contain some original furnishings, documents and photographs. The vestibule and waiting room have been almost exactly recreated, down to the hat and cane in the cloakroom and the plush upholstery from the turn of the century.The Psychological Wednesday Society which became the Vienna Psychoanalytical Association met here until 1908. Among the displays in the museum are items from Freud's collection of antiquities which his daughter Anna Freud donated to the Society; the majority of the pieces used to be kept in the study. A film narrated by Anna Freud tells the story of the life of the Freud family.
Address: Berggasse 19, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Opening hours: Jul 1 to Sep 30: 9am-6pm
Oct 1 to Jun 30: 9am-5pm
Oct 1 to Jun 30: 9am-5pm
Praterstrasse in Vienna no longer enjoys the importance it used to have in the great days of the Prater. It lives on its memories now. Josef Lanner and his band used to give concerts in No. 28 "Zum Grünen Jäger" (Green Huntsman's House). The office building at No. 31 occupies the site where once stood the famous Carl Theater which made the figure of Kasperl immortal and had Johann Nestroy as its manager. No. 54, the house in which Johann Strauss wrote "The Blue Danube" in 1867, has become a museum. Documents relating to the Waltz King's life are on display as well as personal mementos.
Opening hours: 9am-12:15pm, 1pm-4:30pm; Closed: Mon
The Doge's Palace is a typical example of architectural taste at the end of the 19th C. It is inspired by the Ca d'Oro in Venice and is decorated with a stone lion of St Mark. Emperor Franz Joseph I wanted to designate for each of the various ethnic groups in the monarchy a specific part of Vienna and to let them create there an environment in which they would feel at home. Thus an Italian colony was supposed to grow up in Leopoldstadt. Not a lot came of the idea, and the Dogenhof stands now as a rather odd historical curiosity amid the other houses on Praterstrasse.
The palatial Late Baroque Josephinum in Vienna was built between 1783 and 1785 and designed by Isidor Canevale for the training of doctors and surgeons. It was remodeled in 1822. It was elevated to the status of military academy in 1854 and from 1918 it has housed the Institute of the History of Medicine and the Pharmacognostic Institute of Medicine. In the court of Honor there is a fountain with the figure of Hygeia and a lead statue by J. M. Fischer from 1787.The world famous collection of anatomical and obstetric models (anatonomia plastica) in wax was commissioned by Joseph II from Tuscan sculptors and provide an unusual but fascinating collection for the study of the human body.There is an experimental apothecary's collection which is protected for its historical significance and also a great collection of drugs and remedies.
Address: Währingerstrasse 25, Austria
Opening hours: 9am-3pm; Closed: Sun, Sat
Entrance fee: FREE
On January 31, 1797, Franz Schubert was born in this little one-story house - "Zum roten Krebs" (The Red Crab) - in the Himmelpfort district. The city of Vienna owns this house and has been able to preserve Schubert's birthplace virtually unaltered. A Schubert Museum has been installed here, with musical scores, manuscripts, pictures and everyday objects used by the composer. Not everything is entirely authentic, however, for when he was only four years old Schubert moved to a nearby house at Säulengasse 3, where he lived for the next 17 years. The house in which Schubert died is at Kettenbrückengasse 5, where there is also a memorial room.
Address: Nussdorferstrasse 54, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Opening hours: 9am-12:15pm, 1pm-4:30pm; Closed: Mon
Liechtenstein Palace is a Baroque summer palace featuring a decorative facade, displays of 20th century art, and other temporary exhibitions about twice per year.
Karl Marx Hof is the symbol of the 398 housing complexes which were built in Vienna between the wars by the social democratic city council
(1919-34) and immortalized in a workers' song as the "little red brick to build a new world". There were 64,000 dwellings in total, but mainly in outlying districts and financed by taxes on luxury items such as the employment of servants and cars, and steep graduation of taxes on housing construction. The tenants, however, paid rents which were well within their means (5-8% of their wages) for the relatively small flats; gas and electricity rates were low and there was no charge for water. The scheme also offered excellent community facilities such as baths, laundries, community rooms, public houses, shops and libraries, nursery schools and paddling pools; but not least there were many green areas which made living in the "Welfare Palaces" more agreeable. Karl Marx Hof, in its brick red and ochre colors, was built with 25 million bricks between 1927 and 1930 to a design by Karl Ehn and contains some 1,600 flats and communal facilities grouped around several inner courtyard gardens (about 80% of the Karl Marx complex is made up of parks and gardens). In February 1934 Karl Marx Hof was the center of the riots between left-wing workers and right-wing extremists and was stormed by the army to suppress the uprising. Today it ranks as an historic monument.
Useful tips: Not open to the public.
The Piaristenkirche is a parish church and a church of the Order of the Piarists (Patres Scholarum Piarum). When the Piarists came to Vienna
in the 17th C. they first built themselves a little chapel. The present church is based on plans drawn up by Lucas von Hildebrandt in 1716. A number of changes were introduced, and the building was not completed until the middle of the 18th C., probably by Kilian Ignaz Dietzenhofer. It was consecrated in 1771, but the towers were not completed until 1858-60. It is decorated with particularly beautiful frescoes by F. A. Maulbertsch; dating 1752-53, they are his first major frescoes. The church has eight chapels; the oldest, the Chapel of Sorrows, is in fact the foundation chapel, dating from 1699. The historic votive painting of "Our Lady of Malta" dates from the first half of the 15th C. Of the other chapels, the most important by far is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, to the left of the choir. The picture of Christ on the Cross is also by Maulbertsch and dates from 1722. The votive picture of the Virgin above the High Altar is only a copy. The original is in Rome.
Address: 8, Jodok-Fink-Platz, Austria
Useful tips: Open by appointment.
A few gravestones and a Late Baroque cemetery cross indicate that the Schubert Park was laid out on what used to be the Währinger Cemetery. On the east wall of the park can be seen the original graves of Schubert and Beethoven. Both composers were exhumed in 1888 and re- interred in the Zentralfriedhof. It was in the Währinger Cemetery that Franz Grillparzer pronounced his funeral oration over Beethoven. He said: "Beethoven withdrew from human society after he had given men all that he had and received nothing in return".
Built in 1737 and extended in the first half of the 19th C., this Late Baroque palace (Schlössl) in Vienna was from 1802 to 1812 the home of the thespian, singer and librettist of the "Magic Flute", Emanuel Schikaneder. In 1932 Franz Lehár bought the house in which he later wrote "Guiditta"; one of the rooms has been turned into a small Lehár museum.
Address: Hackofergasse 18, Austria
Map of Vienna Attractions