The fishing village of Abana is a popular resort for local people. There are some fine sandy beaches near Ilisi and Haci Veli rock.
Cide lies 185km/114mi northwest of Kastamonu, 2km/1.25mi from the coast and is a little-known and rarely visited Black Sea town. It can only be reached via some very tortuous country roads. The surrounding mountainous region of Küre Daglari is dotted with medieval castles. Pebble and sandy beaches can be found in the neighboring coastal villages. Sakalli and Urlu are situated to the east at a distance of some 15km/9.5mi and 28km/17mi respectively. In the west Akbayir and Ilyazbey (Fakaz) are 45km/28mi away. Most of the villages in this remote part of Pontus contain examples of traditional wooden houses and their roofs are made from large sheets of slate.
Away from the main roads and without any major industry Çankiri enjoys the unhurried life of a provincial town. In Hellenistic times Gangre, as it was then known, was the capital of Paphlagonia. As the empire collapsed it became a garrison town. In the 11th century it was occupied by an Ogusan army, but retaken by John II of the Comnenes in 1135. It later fell to the Beys (Emirs) of Candar/Isfendiyar (Kastamonu). The Ottomans finally seized power in 1495. At the beginning of the 20th century an earthquake destroyed a large part of the town.The famous Ottoman architect Sinan built the large mosque in the center of the town between 1522 and 1528. Previously restored, it suffered serious damage in the earthquake and the rubble was cleared away in 1936. The Seljuk-style Tas Mescidi medrese endowed in 1235 by Atabeg Cemal-Eddin Ferruk was turned into a hospital by Alaeddin Kaykobad. In the same complex stands the founder's mausoleum. The staircase and gate have been restored, but they and the porch decorations are still good examples of Seljuk architecture.The ruined fortress which has undergone a number of restorations stands on a hill overlooking the town and is clearly of Byzantine origins, although it stands on Roman remains. Some cave tombs can be found at the foot of the castle mound.
Ilgaz Dagi Milli Parki
A mountain road leads to the entrance of the Ilgaz Dagi National Park which lies about 40km/25mi south of Kastamonu. The thickly wooded Ilgaz Daglari mountain range and the deep Devez Çayi valley are favorite haunts for hunters and walkers who enjoy remote landscapes.
Some 45km/28mi northeast of Kastamonu and to the northwest of the village of Donalar stands a Phrygian gabled rock tomb known as the "Rock Gate". Fronted by pillars with some extensive Achaemenid(Persian)/Greek decorations depicting fables, wild animals and a double eagle, the tomb dates from the fifth century B.C.
Few visitors have previously ventured as far as the unusual Mahmut Bey Camii in the village of Kasaba. Situated about 17km/10mi northwest of Kastamonu off the road to Daday near Göcen, it is by far the finest "Wood Mosque" in Anatolia. Facing the village school, it is noted for its interior, door, calligraphy and brightly-colored paintings in which dark red predominates. It was built in 1366 in traditional Seljuk style with a five- aisled wooden beam ceiling (central beam wider and higher) borne by planed wooden pillars hence "Wood Mosque" and a two-story gallery.
Situated some 110km/68mi east of Kastamonu, Safranbolu or Saffron Town is regarded as a gem among the small towns of Pontus. The old town houses are better preserved than those in Kastamonu thanks to UNESCO funds. The impressive sights to be found in this picturesque village include the Pontic houses (probably 19th century Greek), the network of vine-covered alleys in the center and the Ottoman caravanserai (Cinci Hani).
The Mencilis caves and underground river lie about 6km/4mi northwest of Safranbolu near the village of Bulak. They are not open to tourists.
Known in antiquity as Pompeiopolis, Tasköprü lies some 45km/28mi northeast of Kastamonu. At the entrance to the village a 150m/500ft wide arched bridge, probably of Ottoman construction, crosses the River Gökirmak (Blue River). Several Roman cave tombs can be found in the vicinity.