Yozgat Tourist Attractions
Central AnatoliaSituationIn nomadic societies early settlements in the form of semi-permanent villages often proved to be the first step towards a fixed, often much bigger settlement. It was in this way that in 1746 the Turkman leader Ahmet Pasa of the Capanogullari family founded a village and his residence amid the summer pastures of Ekred-i-Lek on the high plains of the Bozok Yaylasi. Although the residence burnt down in 1822, with the arrival of Greek and Armenian settlers Ahmet Pasa's son Süleyman Bey quickly transformed the village into a thriving center. By 1836 a town had become established on the site of the modern provincial capital of Yozgat. Some of the building material for the town had come from nearby Tavium. By 1858 the population had grown to 15,000 and in the locality at that time the Turkman Capanogullari dynasty was more important than the Ottoman rulers. In view of the town's relatively short history there are few historical remains.
The ethnographic collection at Yozgat was housed in the 19th century Nizamoglu Palace. The Capanoglu Mustafa Pasa Camii was founded in 1779 by Mustafa Capanoglu, extended in 1795 and restored in 1900. Directly adjacent to the Mustafa Pasa Camii stands the Süleyman Pasa Camii, another endowed mosque of the Capanoglu dynasty dating from the 18th century. The Clock Tower (Saat Kulesi) documents the special position of the town in the 19th century. The Tunusoglu Hani is an Ottoman caravanserai.
Yozgat Çamligi Milli Parki
In the middle of the otherwise desolate steppe landscape, natural woodland flourishes to the south of Yozgat on the Çingirakli Tepesi (1,676m/5,497ft) and it has become a recreation area. A 7km/4mi long access road winds its way up to a small, long-established hotel. The woodland has been designated as a national park and is home for an extensive range of flora and fauna.
The Sümrük Sivrisi settlement hill near the village of Alisar about 60km/37mi southeast of Yozgat and 20km/12mi south of Sorgun was excavated by American archeologists between 1927 and 1932. Evidence was found of habitation here from the fourth millennium B.C. to Phrygian times and finds included a Chalcolithic village with rectangular houses, which had been walled in during the Early Bronze Age (2500 B.C.), an Assyrian trading center which met a violent end (cuneiform texts) and perhaps the Hittite provincial town of Ankuva.Remains of a Phrygian fortress have been found in the most recent settlement level. Very little of interest can be seen on the site as all the important finds have been taken to the Ethnographic Museum or the Hittite Museum in Ankara.
At the southwest corner of a hilly ridge 10km/7mi southwest of Sorgun and 35km/22mi east of Yozgat, the remains of a Late Hittite fortress have been excavated. It is not clear whether it was built by the native Luvers as a defense against the Phrygians or by the Phrygians themselves. The site is called Kaykavus Harabesi or Kaykavus Kalesi and is situated on the west side near the village of Sahmuratli.