Sundsvall Tourist Attractions
Sundsvall is the only town in the little province of Medelpad (area 7,086sq.km/2,736sq.mi), half way up the eastern coast of Sweden. The town has a vibrant cultural life geared to all ages and art forms.
The Cultural Warehouse, concert hall and several theatres are featured locations for cultural events.Sundsvall is located by two rivers, the Indalsälv and the Ljunga. The valley's of the rivers have a luxuriant flora, and the Indalsälv forms Sweden's largest delta, which is one of its many features of geological interest. Sundsvall is one of the most important ports and commercial towns in the northern countries. It lies at the mouth of the Selångerå between two hills, the Norra and Södra Stadsberg. The layout of the old town was the work of Nicodemus Tessin the Elder, but much of the town was destroyed by a devastating fire in 1888, only the district of Norrmalm remaining unscathed. Thereafter the town was rebuilt in stone, with wide streets, and became known as Stenstaden, the "Stone Town".EconomyThanks to its excellent situation and to trade routes to the west which ran through this area Sundsvall was an important trading settlement as early as the sixth century. The town received its municipal charter from Gustavus Adolphus in 1624. A period of some prosperity began in the 19th century, when numerous sawmills were established here: at times there were no fewer than 40 operating on the offshore island of Alnö alone. Sundsvall now has an oil terminal and is an important woodworking and papermaking center.
Around the main square of Sundsvall, the Stora Torg, a great variety of architectural styles are represented. In the center of the square is a bronze statue (1911) of Gustavus Adolphus, and on its south side stands the Town Hall. At Storgatan 29 is the Municipal Museum. Along this street to the west is the neo-Gothic Gustav Adolfs Kyrka (1894), with wood sculpture by Ivar Lindenkrantz.West of the church, in a small park lies Bünswowska Tjärn (lake). On the Esplanade, which cuts across Storgatan in the center of the town, is the Hirschska Hus (1890), a handsome mansion built by a wholesale merchant named Isaak Hirsch.
From Sundsvall's two hills, the Norra and Södra Stadsberg, there are extensive views of the town and the island Alnö. On the Norra Stadsberg is the Norra Bergets Hantverks- och Frilufmuseum (Craft and Open-Air Museum), with many old wooden houses from the province of Medelpad and comprehensive collections of other material illustrating the way of life of the pre-industrial period.
To the north of Sundsvall a road bridge (1,024m/1,100yd long, 40m/130ft high) crosses the Alnönsund to the island of Alnö. 2km/1.25mi north of Alvik is a 13th century stone church with stellar vaulting which has vividly colored wall paintings, fine sculpture and atriumphal cross dating back to about 1500. The new church (1896) has a richly carved wooden font from the 12th/13th century. At the southeastern tip of the island is the attractive little fishing village of Spikarna, with the popular Vindheim summer restaurant.
To the west of the island of Alnö, reached by way of E 14 and the village of Matfors, is Lake Marmen, on the shores of which are numerous prehistoric remains. In front of the beautiful 18th century church of Attmar can be seen the largest runic stone in Medelpad. Other features of interest are the church of Tuna (1776-77; 13th C. font) and the Tunabacken cemetery area.
South of Sundsvall on E 4, around Njurunda, is an attractive region of lakes featuring waterfowl and moorland with orchids, fishing villages and islands with good beaches.The village of Njurunda features the ruins of a 12th century church and a graveyard by Stångån river.
50km/30mi northwest of Sundsvall is Liden. From the Vettaberg (381m/1,250ft) there is a fine view into the valley of the Indalsälv. On the lower slopes of the hill can be found a late medieval church.