Steyr Tourist Attractions
Steyr, at the confluence of the Rivers Steyr and Enns, is an old-established focal point of the Austrian iron and steel industry, drawing much of its supply of ore from the Erzberg at Eisenerz 100km/60mi away.
The most important industrial firm in the town is the Steyr- Daimler-Puch AG. In 980 the Ottokars - the Margraves and later Dukes of Styria - built the "Styraburg" (now Schloss Lamberg) at the confluence of the Rivers Enns and Steyr, and the town subsequently grew up around it and the parish church. In 1287 it was given its municipal charter; a large part of the old town was destroyed by fire in 1727. Josef Werndl (1831-89) inherited his father's business and modernized it, manufactured the breech- loaded rifle and - with his conveyor-belt production methods - made Steyr the "arms factory of Europe". The present day Steyr-Daimler-Puch works (making tractors, trucks, hunting rifles, etc.) developed from his original factory.Steyr is famous for its historic town center around the "Stadtplatz" (town square). This area has been very well preserved for several hundred years. The Bummerlhaus is considered one of the finest pieces of Gothic architecture for its size in Central Europe.The city is rich in cultural and architectural heritage, which attracts tourists to enjoy the modern amenities and ancient city combination.
Pilgrimage Church of the Christkindl (Christ Child)
This little 18th C. church was built by the Baroque master builders Carlo Carlone and Jakob Prandtauer. A special post office set up here at Christmas time receives letters from children all over the world. The church has an open plan of five circles in the form of a cross; the high altar incorporates the religious symbol of the Christ Child, as the Son of God.
Gleink has a fine Baroque church of the 17th-18th C. (originally belonging to a Benedictine abbey which was dissolved in 1784) built on Romanesque foundations. In the choir can be seen two paintings by Martin Altomonte; the high altar and organ are also impressive. The frescos have unfortunately been partly disfigured by overpainting.
This Benedictine abbey, founded in 1112, was rebuilt by Josef Munggenast in 1718-47; of the medieval buildings only the Knights' Chapel (Ritterkapelle) remains. The abbey contains a large collection of pictures.
6km/4mi further to the northeast of the Seitenstetten Abbey lies the village of Krenstetten, with a notable Gothic parish church (Late Gothic winged altar of 1576, pulpit of 1636 and 14th-16th C. stained glass in the choir).
Enns Museum, Weyer, Austria
Continuing south along Enns river the town is roughly 30km southeast of Steyr. The Enns Museum is located in Weyer. The museum is dedicated to the raftsman of the area as well as raft transport of iron and iron processing exhibits.
Coach Museum, Grossraming, Austria
The little town of Grossraming, on the opposite side of the Enns River from Reichraming, has a coach museum.
Forestry Museum, Reichraming
The little town of Reichraming, near Grossraming has a forestry museum.
Map of Steyr Attractions