Stanley, Falkland Islands Tourist Attractions
Stanley is the capital of the Falkland Islands and the major population center, with approximately 2,000 people. The city is built on a north facing slope to maximize exposure to the sun. Many of the houses are painted bright colors with corrugated iron roofs.
Falkland Islands Museum (Britannia House Museum)
The museum is located in Britannia House, a former Argentine Air Force building. The museum presents information on the maritime history, the military history up to and including the Falklands war of 1982, and the history of the cattle industry on the islands.
Tombstone inscriptions in the cemetery provide insight into the lives of the early pioneers. The Cross of Sacrifice, on the north side of the cemetery, is a memorial to the Falkland Islanders who were killed in WWI and WWII.
Victory Green is a WWII memorial. A 21 gun salute is fired each year on the Queen's Birthday, and the Union Flag and Royal Standard are raised. The mast of the SS Great Britain stands on the Green.
Battle Memorial is located on the grounds of Government House. It commemorates a 1914 battle between the German and British.
Christ Church Cathedral
Christ Church Cathedral, known as the southern most cathedral in the world, was begun in 1892 and completed in 1903.
Government House was designed by Governor Moody and built in the 1840s. Successive Governors have added onto the house over the years.
Jubilee Villas were built in 1887 for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. These seaside terraces are in contrast to the rest of the island's architecture.
The 150 year old Colonists' Cottages still stand on Pioneer Row.
Tabernacle (United Free Church)
This Victorian church was built in 1892.