St George's Tourist Attractions
The capital city of St George's is situated along a harbor and extends back to the hillside. Brick and stone buildings with red tiled roofs line the streets where locals sell spices and crafts. A fire in the late 1700s destroyed most of the old wooden buildings.The inner harbor area known as the Carenage is one of the main areas of activities. Wooden schooners are loaded and unloaded here and there are places to get food and drinks.
Located on the promontory to the west of the harbor is Fort George. Built in 1705 by the French, many of the building are now used by the police. Much of the fort is still intact and open to visitors, although the main draw is the view offered from this hilltop location.
The Carenage is the inner harbor area which serves as an anchorage for a variety of boats and ships. Wharf Road runs along the harbor offering good views of the area and activities taking place along the docks.
Grenada National Museum
The Grenada National Museum is housed in a 1704 French barracks and former prison. The building was also used as the island's first hotel.The museum displays a variety of historical items including Carib and Arawak artifacts, sugar processing machines and equipment, whaling industry items, and Josephine Bonaparte's marble bath.
The construction of Fort Frederick was begun by the French in 1779 and completed by the British in 1791. It was abandoned completely in 1850 and later occupied by the Grenadian military. Located atop Richmond Hill the fort offers great views of the surrounding area.
THe Mount Maitland hike, leaving from near the Pentecostal church in the village of Mardisgras just west of St George's, takes visitors to Mount Maitland in the Grand Etang Forest Reserve. The view from the top looks out over both sides of the ridge. Hiking time is approximately 2 hours for the return trip.
House of Parliament
The House of Parliament consists of the 1801 York House, which contains the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the Supreme Court, and the 1780 Registry building.
The Sendall Tunnel, which is still used today as it joins the Carenage to the Esplanade, was built in 1895. An engineering marvel at the time, the tunnel was named for the first governor of the island.
St George's Roman Catholic Cathedral
The tower of St George's Cathedral, built in 1818, is the most distinctive landmark in the town of St George's. The interior of the church is painted in bright colors.
Walkways run through the Bay Gardens offering a close up look at over 3,000 species of Caribbean plants.
St George's Market Square is home to the popular Saturday morning market and is a center point for local events and gatherings in the town.
Queen's Park, located just north of St George's, is the main facility used for sporting events and other large scale shows including Carnival.
St George's Anglican Church
St George's Anglican Church was built in 1825 and a clock later added in 1904 which plays the Westminster chimes on the hour.