Skelleftea Tourist Attractions
Skellefteå, lying between the Skellefteälv and the Gulf of Bothnia, is mentioned in the records as a trading town in 1621, but received its municipal charter only in 1845. In 1912 the railroad reached the town, and this, combined with the expansion of the Boliden gold mines, led to rapid development in the 1920s. The incorporation of neighboring settlements, some of them as much as 20km/12.5mi away, has contributed to giving the town its present population of 74,000.
The central area of Skellefteå, still showing its original rectangular plan, is well preserved, with wooden houses in typical Norrland style. In the Nordanåparken and Bonnstan districts are numbers of 17th century "church houses" (providing overnight accommodation for churchgoers traveling from a distance). Close by are the Regional Museum (bronze ornaments of A.D. 300-400) and the 18th century Church of the Provincial Assembly, which incorporates some medieval work and contains a collection of medieval sculpture in wood and a beautiful reredos. Below the church is the Lejonströmsbro (1737; 312m/341yds long), the longest wooden bridge in Sweden still carrying motor traffic.
Skellefteå Municipal Park
Adjoining the Skellefteå Municipal Park is the Town House (1955), which contains a fine mosaic by Evert Lundquist. The Town Church, in neo-Baroque style (1927), has a striking doorway of black granite; the interior was designed by Carl Fagerberg and Gunnar Torhamn. Skellefteå also has the most northerly terrarium and tropical house in the world.
16km/10mi southeast of the Skellefteå town center is the port of Skelleftehamn. St Örjan's Church (1935), has a roof and bells of Boliden copper and contains an altarpiece of the Spanish school, perhaps by Velázquez.From Skelleftehamn there are boat services to Jakobstad and Kokkola in Finland.
3km/2miles past Skelleftehamn is Rönnskärsviken, which is noted for its output of gold and other metals.
The "church town" of Lövånger, 50km/30mi south of Skellefteå, has 100 wooden houses that were used for the overnight accommodation of worshippers, some dating from the 14th century. They have been carefully restored and are now rented to holiday visitors.
35km/22mi northwest of Skellefteå is the small mining town of Boliden. Large deposits of copper ore were discovered here in 1925-26, and gold, silver, lead and arsenic are mined in the area; there are also deposits of selenium and sulfur. There is a small museum on the history of the mines. From Boliden there is a 96km/60mi-long industrial cable railroad via Rakkejaur to Kristineberg, where deposits of copper, sulfur and zinc are worked.
Bergrum Boliden Mining Museum
The museum is located in the former office building of the Boliden Mining Company. It illustrates the history of the Skellefteå (Gold Kingdom) mining district, which grew up in the 1920's to exploit the sizeable gold finds of Fågelmyra. Featured is a three-storey exhibition with multi-media stations, interactive computer programs and multislide presentations.
West of Boliden, near the Lapland border, is a very beautiful corner of Västerbotten whose principal attractions are the Malåns waterfall, the primeval forest of Kryddgrovan and, near Jörn, Storeklinta (515m/1,690ft), the highest hill in Västerbotten. There is a 13km/8mi-long cableway between Örträsk and Mensträsk.
Olofsfors Ironworks Museum, Nordmaling
Olofsfors Ironworks is the cultural center of Nordmaling. Visitors will discover a living museum, well-preserved forges, a mill, and more. There are 50 people living in the village and many prosperous companies.
Storuman is a small town in the north of Sweden noted for its skiing and snowmobiling opportunities. In April-May and in September-October visitors may encounter reindeer at the sides of the road.
Mantorp Swedish Championship Premiere Motor Race
Mantorp Swedish Championship Premiere Motor Race is in May.