Schwabisch Gmund Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsThe old free imperial city of Schwäbisch Gmünd lies in the valley of the Rems, on the northern fringes of the Swabian Alb. It is noted for its goldsmith and silversmith work and for its glassware, an industry transferred here from Gablonz in Bohemia after the Second World War. Schwäbisch Gmünd was the birthplace of the 14th C. master builder Peter Parler and the 16th C. painter Hans Baldung Grien.
In the charming elongated Markt of Schwäbisch Gmünd are the Town Hall (1783-85) and the important Late Romanesque St John's Church (1220-50; R.C.), with rich sculptural decoration. In front of the church can be seen the beautiful Marienbrunnen (fountain).
To the west of the church in Schwäbisch Gmünd is a former Dominican monastery (remodeled in the 18th C. by Dominikus Zimmermann; restored 1969-73), now housing the Prediger Cultural Center and the Municipal Museum.
To the southwest of the church in Schwäbisch Gmünd is the Gothic Minster of the Holy Cross (R.C.), built in the early 14th C. by Heinrich Parler (father of Peter Parler, who built Prague Cathedral). This was one of the first large hall-churches in South Germany.
Southeast of the Minster in Schwäbisch Gmünd is the Fuggerei, a Romanesque building with 15th C. half-timbering.
Southwest of the Minster in Schwäbisch Gmünd stands the Town Church (Protestant), a former Augustinian church built in the 15th C. and remodeled in Baroque style in the 18th C. (fine stucco decoration and ceiling paintings).On the south side of the church are the conventual buildings (1732-49), now occupied by local government offices.
A few towers belonging to Schwäbisch Gmünd's medieval fortifications (14th-15th C.) have been preserved.
St Salvator's Chapel
West of Schwäbisch Gmünd, beyond the railroad station, is a Way of the Cross leading to the curious rock-cut pilgrimage chapel of St Salvator (1617-20; view).
In Schwäbisch Gmünd's southwestern district of Schirenhof are the excavated remains of Roman baths belonging to a small Roman fort of the second C.In the nearby Rotenbach valley can be seen a remnant of the Rhaetian Wall, built by the Romans.
The Lorch Monastery, built around 1100, is the burial place of the Hohnenstaufens. The numerous buildings have been preserved including the Romanesque monastery church and the cloister.
Address: Kloster Lorch, D-73457 Schwabisch, Germany
Opening hours: Apr 1 to Oct 31: 10am-6pm
Nov 1 to Mar 31: 10am-5pm
Nov 1 to Mar 31: 10am-5pm
Entrance fee in EUR: Family €7.50, Adult €3.00, Group of 20 or more €2.70, Concession or reduced rate €1.50
Useful tips: The church is closed during church services.
Disability Access: Full facilities for persons with disabilities.
9km/6mi south of Schwäbisch Gmünd rises the Rechberg (707m/2,320ft; extensive views), with a ruined 12th C. castle and a 17th C. pilgrimage chapel.