Santos Tourist Attractions
The port of Santos, founded in 1543, lies 72km/45mi south-east of São Paulo, occupying the eastern part of the island of São Vicente.
It can be reached from the capital on SP 150 (Rodovia Anchieta), SP 160 (Rodovia dos Imigrantes) or the old (19th century) São Paulo-Santos road, round which are a number of historical sites, including the Rancho da Maioridade or Casa da Marquesa (restored in 1922 by the French architect Victor Dubugras), which is believed to have been the "love nest" of Dom Pedro I and the Marquesa de Santos.Bus StationPracados Anchadas 45HistorySantos grew up round the harbor of Vila São Vicente, established in 1534, but its time of prosperity came only in the mid 19th century with the coffee boom in São Paulo, when it soon developed into the world's largest coffee-exporting port. It now has the finest port installations in Brazil, with a total of 12km/7.5mi of quays.SP 150 runs straight into the center of Santos, which has preserved a number of historic buildings.
At the entrance to the town, on Largo Marquàs de Monte Alegre (to the left, near the sea), is the Federal Railways (Rete Ferroviária Federal) station, built in 1867 and modeled on London's Victoria Station.
Santo Antônio do Valongo
On the same square as the railway station are the church and monastery of Santo Antônio do Valongo, built between 1640 and 1691.
Museum of Sacred Art
On the right of the road at the entrance to the town are the Morro São Bento and Monte Serrat. On the Morro São Bento is the monastery of São Bento (1650), with a Museum of Sacred Art.
Nossa Senhora do Monte Serrat
A funicular runs up Monte Serrat, on the summit of which is the chapel of Nossa Senhora do Monte Serrat (1603).
Câmara Municipal & Cadeia Pública
Adjoining the station, on Praça dos Andradas, is the old Câmara Municipal and Cadeia Pública (Town Hall and Gaol) of 1830-60, which now houses the Casa da Cultura. Close by, in Rua 15 de Novembro, is the imposing Coffee Exchange (Bolsa de Café; 1922).
Carmelite Convent & Chapel of third Carmelite Order
Rua 15 de Novembro runs into Praça Barão do Rio Branco, in which are the Carmelite Convent (1589) and the Chapel of the Third Carmelite Order (1760). Note particularly the paintings by the monk Jesuíno de Monte Carmelo and Benedito Calixto. The burial chapel of the Andrada family contains the mortal remains of José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva (1763-1838), the "father of Brazilian independence", and his brothers.
Rampa do Mercado (Casa do Café)
Rua 15 de Novembro ends on the seafront, near the Rampa do Mercado, from which boats sail to Vicente de Carvalho. Immediately to the right of this is the harbor quay. At Warehouse 16 is the landing-stage for passenger ships. In Warehouse 15 is the Casa do Café, where every imaginable kind of coffee can be sampled and bought.
The José Menino district is in the south-west of the town, near São Vicente and the island of Porchat. On Praça Washington is the Municipal Orchidarium (Orquidário Municipal), a small park with a tree nursery, a pond, a waterfall and an aviary in which an orchid show is held annually in November.
Avenidas Presidente Wilson and Bartolomeu de Gusmão run along the coast to Santos's 7km/4.3mi of beaches, including the Praias José Menino, Gonzaga, Boqueirão, Embaré and Ponta da Praia.
Museum of the Sea
On Rua República do Equador, is the Museum of the Sea (Museu do Mar), with specimens of marine animals, shells and corals, and technical apparatus used in oceanography.
Morro de Santa Terezinha
In the José Menino district is a viewpoint on the Morro de Santa Terezinha (reached from Rua João Caetano).
Ponte dos Práticos
Avenida Bartolomeu de Gusmão ends in the Ponta da Praia district. From the Ponte dos Práticos in this area there are cruises round Santos Bay.
Santo Antônio do Embaré
On Avenida Bartolomeu de Gusmão is the church of Santo Antônio do Embaré.
Map of Santos Attractions