Salvador, capital of the state of Bahia and the largest city in north-eastern Brazil, was the first town to be founded in Brazil, on March 29th 1549; and until 1763, when it was succeeded by Rio de Janeiro, it was the seat of government of the colony. For three centuries it was the principal port for the import of slaves from Africa. Blacks and mulattos now form the majority of the population, and African influence is evident in the life of the city in many different fields - in music, in religious cults such as Candomblé and Umbanda, and not least in the local cuisine, which makes lavish use of dendà oil (palm oil), coconut milk and groundnuts.
Salvador is 356km/221mi south-west of Aracaju, 839km/521mi south-west of Recife, 1202km/747mi north of Vitória and 1649km/1025mi north-east of Rio de Janeiro.
The historic center of the town was strategically situated on a crag and could be approached only on steep tracks climbing from the harbor in Baía de Todos os Santos (All Saints Bay). While the upper town flourished in the 17th century, expanding on to the neighboring slopes with its churches and monasteries, the lower town - the commercial and industrial quarter - began to develop only in the 19th century, extending round much of the bay and reaching north-east towards the lagoons and beaches.
Among the best of the many beaches are the Praias do Farol da Barra, do Rio Vermelho, de Amaralina, do Jardim de Alá, de Piatã, de Placaford, de Itapoã, do Farol de Itapoã (near the celebrated Abaté Lagoon, with huge dunes), do Flamengo and de Stella Maris. On this last stretch of coast is the city's international airport.
Avenida Antônio Carlos Magalhães
Aeroporto Internacional Dos de Julho