Randers Tourist Attractions
JutlandThe town of Randers lies on the Gudenå, Denmark's longest river, near where it flows into Randers Fjord on the east coast of Central Jutland.
HistorySince Randers was easily accessible from the interior of Jutland the town developed at an early date into an important trading center. There was a Royal Mint here in 1080. During the Middle Ages several church and monasteries were founded. In the middle of the 14th C. Valdemar IV built a castle near the town. The Franciscan monastery was dissolved in 1530 and converted into a royal palace.Between 1627 and 1629 Imperial troops under Wallenstein occupied the town, which suffered in the years that followed from the effects of the war, from a large conflagration in 1672 and from the plague. During the 19th C. the disputes regarding Schleswig-Holstein had an adverse effect on Randers, and in the Second World War it was occupied by German troops.EconomyThere have long been craftsmen of various kinds in Randers - bell-foundry workers, silversmiths, woodcarvers and shoemakers - but the town became particularly well-known for its salmon; at the last salmon-farm in operation in 1820 more than 1,000 salmon were caught. Foodstuffs, metal-working, shoe production and vehicle manufacture are the major branches of industry.Randers Rainforest features 350 different kinds of plants and over 175 species of animals. The animals roam free under its three geodesic domes.The town of Randers has Denmark's only natural river harbour and it serves as a major sea merchant area.
Church of St Martin
In Kirkegade, in the Old Town of Randers, stands the Church of St Martin, a 15th C. Gothic brick building. The choir, with three sides facing east, is lower than the three-aisled nave. The interior fittings date from the 17th and 18th C. and include a Baroque pulpit, font, altar and organ-case (1750). It was intended to build a monastery near the church, but this never materialized.The church was built in the period between 1494-1520, in order to replace an earlier church honoring St. Martin.
House of the Holy Ghost
Of the old houses near the Church of St Martin in Randers, special mention should be made of the Helligåndshus (House of the Holy Ghost), dating from about 1435. The building, the remains of a dissolved monastery, was restored between 1894 and 1897 by Hack Kampmann. Note the 15th C. wall-paintings on the ground floor and the 16th C. ones on the first floor.
Randers Town Hall
Passing along Torvegade the visitor will come to the old Randers Town Hall, built in 1778 to the designs of Christian Mørup. The hipped roof is topped by a belfry. On a plinth in front of the Town Hall is the seated figure of Niels Ebbesen, who in 1340 killed a Duke of Holstein when he attempted to gain control of Denmark.Immediately opposite the Town Hall, at Rådhustorvet 7, stands a Gothic brick building which is the oldest stone house in the town and now a cafe; it has gable steps leading to the neighboring house.
At Stemannsgade 2 is the Culture House (Kulturhuset), consisting of an old and a new building; the latter was erected in 1964-9 by the architect Fleming Lassen and has two interior courtyards. On the first floor is the Historical and Cultural Museum, including three interesting burghers' rooms decorated with paintings by Rembrandt and Ostade. The Art Museum on the second floor houses works by 20th C. Danish painters, including Ejler Bille and Asger Jom. In the inner courtyard is an abstract sculpture.
Address: Stemannsgade 2, DK-8900 Randers, Denmark
Opening hours: Jan 1 to Dec 31: 11am-5pm; Closed: Mon
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), New Year's Eve (Dec 31), Christmas Eve - Christian (Dec 24)
Entrance fee in DKK: Adult kr20.00, Senior kr10.00
Disability Access: Full facilities for persons with disabilities.
Facilities: Restaurant or food service
North of the Rander's Culture House, in Østergade, stands the Amtmannshof (1928), a house typical of the Biedermeier period.
Bjerringbro - Electricity Museum
The Electricity museum is located close to one of Denmark's largest hydro-electric stations. Various aspects of electricity are detailed and visitors are invited to experiment with the museum's exhibits on Morse code, telegrams and telephone switchboards. The museum also has an in-house restaurant and museum shop where souveniers can be bought.
Festival of Kites
This 10-day festival takes place in mid-August and includes all types of music, as well as theatrical performances, art exhibitions and events for the whole family.