Follow Us:

Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Pitlochry

PitlochryPitlochry View slideshow
Pitlochry, in the Tummel valley, is the geographical center of Scotland. It is noted for its high quality woolen products and is also popular as a summer resort. Between May and October the "Theatre in the Hills" (modernized in 1981) is the venue for a successful drama festival and in September the Highland Games are held here. While enjoying a haggis or other traditional Scottish delicacy, kilted spectators watch the competitors tossing the caber, throwing the hammer and playing the bagpipe. The town itself can boast an 18-hole golf course, while further north in Blair Atholl is a nine-hole course.

Blair Castle

Blair Castle dominates the northern end of the village of Blair Atholl. It occupies an important, strategic spot on the Perth to Inverness road in the broad Garry valley. The castle has been the seat of the Duke of Atholl (Murray clan) since the 17th century. In 1845 Queen Victoria granted the owner the unique privilege of maintaining a private army, the "Atholl Highlanders" and on the last Sunday in May the soldiers stage a colorful parade, while on other occasions one of the army's pipers stands in front of the castle and plays some popular Highland melodies.

ENLARGE MAP PRINT MAP EMBED < > Blair Castle - Floor plan map Blair Castle Map

Craigower

Craigower is an 11ac beacon hill near Pitlochry. The land was given to the National Trust of Scotland in memory of Capt. G.A.K. Wisely in 1947.

Pitlochry Festival Theatre

Pitlochry Festival Theatre offers a variety of programmes, which take place in the Pitlochry Theatre, opened in 1981 by Prince Charles.
Address: Port-na-Craig, Pitlochry PH16 5DR, Scotland

Surroundings

Loch Tummel (Linn of Tummel)

View over Loch Tummel.
On the way to Blair Castle it is easy to make a detour to Loch Tummel, a long lake with many bays. "Queen's View", named after Queen Victoria who once came to enjoy the magnificent panorama, should not be missed. The mountains surrounding Loch Tummel are made from almost pure barite, a mineral that is processed to provide radium for the chemical industry. The road west from Loch Tummel leads into desolate terrain.
The Linn of Tummel comprises 56 acres by the banks of the Rivers Tummel and Garry. Prior to the construction of a dam in 1950 there was a waterfall where the Tummel joined the Garry. The fall has since become a pool. A reminder of the earlier landscape is the fish-pass beside the Linn which previously enabled salmon to bypass the falls.

Loch Rannoch

Loch Rannoch lies at the northern foot of Schiehallion. The sides of the lake were once inhabited by over 30 clans, including the MacDonalds, MacGregors, Menzies, Robertsons and Stewarts (about 2,500 people); now the lakeside supports barely 400 residents.

Rannoch Moor

Mountain scenery of Rannoch Moor.
Rannoch Moor, a brown-flecked, undulating plain dotted with small lakes stretches out to the west of Loch Rannoch and beyond Loch Laidon. It is an inhospitable region and yet it exerts a magical charm on those who venture forth. In this treeless countryside, Britain's largest moor, sphagnum moss and heathers grow among sundew, bilberries and cranberries, campion, cotton-grasses, low-growing willows and dwarf birches. The B846 finally ends 34mi/54.4km west of Pitlochry near Rannoch Station, a tiny railroad halt on the Glasgow-Fort William line.

Pass of Killiecrankie

Return to the A9 from Loch Rannoch and follow the road north through the Pass of Killiecrankie. In 1689 this breathtakingly beautiful gorge was the scene of a severe rout of the English army at the hands of the Highlanders under the generalship of the Viscount of Dundee.

Loch Tay

Sun shining on Loch Tay.
The long, narrow Loch Tay is not just a haven for anglers and watersports enthusiasts but it is also one of Scotland's most beautiful lochs.

Ben Lawers National Nature Reserve

Flanked on both sides either by bare or partly wooded hillsides, the full glory of Loch Tay can be best appreciated from the summit of Ben Lawers (3,981ft/1,214m) on the north bank. Ben Lawers is the highest peak in Perthshire and the variety of its mountain flora will be of interest to botanists.
Address: NTS Office, Lynedoch, Main Street, Killin FK21 8UW, Scotland

Killin

The small town of Killin is located near the west end of Loch Tay amid the beauty of the Grampian Mountains.

Moirlanich Longhouse

The Moirlanich Longhouse dates from the mid-19th C and retains many of its original features. It is an outstanding example of a traditional cruck frame cottage and byre. It houses an exhibit of the history and restoration of the building.
Address: Lynedoch, Main Street, Killin FK21 8UW, Scotland

Scottish Crannog Centre

The Scottish Crannog Centre is is Scotland's only authentic Iron Age loch-dwelling. This unique structure houses displays of ancient crafts.

Aberfeldy, Scotland

A journey along the A924 and the A827 to Aberfeldy (pop. 1,250; 15mi/24km to the southwest of Pitlochry) is worthwhile. This peaceful little village is situated by Urlar Burn near its confluence with the River Tay. The gorge here is as wild as it was 200 years ago when Robert Burns climbed to the three waterfalls at Moness. By that time he was already very successful and, wherever he went, both ordinary people and the educated classes would listen attentively to what he had to say. These two contrasting worlds have found their way into his poems and "Come let us spend the lightsome days in the Birchs of Aberfeldy" was written, we are led to believe, by Burns as he sat on a rock above the birch forest. Nowadays, a nature trail leads visitors along the Urlar's stone staircase.
The highlight of Aberfeldy is the almost filigree design on the five-arched bridge over the Tay, which William Adam created for General Wade. Wade had devised comprehensive plans for opening up the Highlands and for making them much more accessible to English troops.
In front of General Wade's Bridge stands a memorial unveiled in 1877 in honor of the Black Watch Regiment which was first established in Aberfeldy. The statue on the memorial shows a kilted soldier standing on a cairn.
Close on 2mi/3km to the west of Aberfeldy stands the 16th century Z-shaped Castle Menzies, which is owned by the Menzies Clan Society. The four huge corner towers dominate the building in which an exhibition documents the history of the Menzies clan.

Dunkeld, Scotland

Detail of Dunkeld Monument.
About 12mi/19.2km to the south of Pitlochry lies the idyllic town of Dunkeld. The pretty town with its attractive market place and picturesque little houses in Cathedral Street (faithfully restored by the National Trust for Scotland; not open to the public) grew up in the late 17th C after the original settlement was destroyed by Covenanters in the Battle of Dunkeld (1689).
Dunkeld is noted for its cathedral, one of the oldest in Scotland. This church set in a delightful location in the green Tay valley was founded in 1107. Work started in earnest in 1318 but shortly after its completion in 1560 it was destroyed by the Reformers. The nave which remains roofless and the large northwest tower date from the 15th century, while the restored chancel continues to be used as the parish church. Pictish kings resided in Dunkeld and in the sixth century St Columba established a settlement here to which Celtic monks later added an abbey. When in 844 Kenneth MacAlpin united the Picts and the Scots, he made Dunkeld and Scone his royal residences.

Glenshee - Skiing Centre

Clouds in the late afternoon at Glenshee.
In the winter large numbers of skiing enthusiasts make for the Glenshee region (40mi/64km to the northeast of Pitlochry) and the slopes of the Cairngorms. Several ski-lifts give access to the ski runs and also the cross-country tracks.

Schiehallion

Some 20mi/32km to the west of Loch Tummel the black/brown, treeless cone of Schiehallion rises 3,950ft/1,200m into the sky. A climb to the summit will take about three hours.

Blair Atholl, Scotland

The tiny mill (1613) in Blair Atholl (pop. 500) continues to grind corn in the traditional way. The flour is for sale but it can first be sampled as a biscuit in the tearoom.

Loch Faskally - Fish Ladder

A very popular attraction is the underwater observation room at Loch Faskally. Here it is possible to watch the thousands of salmon negotiating the ladder to reach their spawning grounds. The room was specially installed when a hydro-electric power station was built during the 1950s.

Sightseeing Nearby:

More on PlanetWare