Orebro Tourist Attractions
Örebro is the chief town in the province of Närke, the small region between the upland province of Västmanland and the wooded country of Värmland. The town lies in the plain on both sides of the Svartå, near the west end of Lake Hjälmar. It has a long tradition as a commercial town, having for centuries served as a link between the mining region and the farming country of central Sweden. It grew up around a ford on the Svartå, which from the end of the 13th century was protected by a 25m/80ft high tower built by Birger Jarl to watch over and defend the river crossing. Later the watch-tower gave place to a fortified castle, rebuilt in the 16th century, in which the Riksdag (the Swedish Parliament) frequently met.The water tower of Örebro is popular as an observation tower. The Swedish Chamber Orchestra is Scandinavia's only full-time professional chamber orchestra. It was created by merging two of Örebro's local orchestras.
St Nicholas's Church
In the center of the Örebro is the main square (Stortorget). At the west end of the square stands St Nicholas's Church (Nikolaikyrka; 18th C.), in which the French Marshal Bernadotte was chosen as heir to the throne in 1810. The church also contains the tomb of the legendary national hero Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson, a bronze statue of whom (by Carl Gustav Qvamström, 1865) can be seen opposite the church in front of the neo-Gothic Town Hall (1856-62).
Örebro Concert Hall
To the west of St Nicholas's church, on the banks of the Svartå, is the Örebro Concert Hall, with the Municipal Library in the same building.
Address: Länsmusiken i Örebro AB, S-70146 Örebro, Sweden
Hjalmar Bergman Theater
From the Stortorg in Örebro, Drottninggatan runs south to Olof Palmes Torg, which houses the Medborgarhus (Community House; 1964), now occupied by a youth club. The same building houses the Hjalmar Bergman Theater, named after the well-known Swedish novelist (1883-1931), who was born in Örebro.
To the southeast of Örebro Castle lies the Castle Park, with a summer restaurant. On the east side of the park are the Örebro County Museum (local history and culture; special exhibitions, including shows of modern art) and the Museum of Technology.
Wadköping - Open-Air Museum
From the Castle in Örebro, Kanalvägen leads along the south bank of the Svartå to the Municipal Park, on the east side of which, on the banks of the river, is the Wadköping open-air museum, with a number of old Swedish wooden houses, including the King's House (Kungsstugan; 15th or 16th C.) and the Burgher's House (Borgarstugan; 17th C.).
Address: Box 32320, S-70135 Orebro, Sweden
Svampen - Water Tower
In the north of Örebro, in Storgatan, is the Olaus Petri Church (1812). In front of it can be seen a bronze monument (by Nils Sjörgren) to the brothers Laurentius and Olaus Petri, leading figures of the Reformation in Sweden during the reign of Gustavus Vasa.Northeast of the church is Svampen (the "Mushroom"), a 60m/200ft high water-tower (restaurant) from which there are extensive views of the surrounding countryside.
Karlslunds Herrgård Manor House
On the western outskirts of Örebro is the historic old manor house of Karlslunds Herrgård (16th C.), with an interesting Farming Museum.
Gustavsvik Motor Museum
Southwest of the center of Örebro, on the road to Karlstad, is an open-air swimming pool, Gustavsviksbadet. The Gustavsvik Motor Museum (open in summer) has a collection of veteran and vintage cars and motorcycles.
Oset Bird Sanctuary
2km/1.25mi east of Örebro town center can be found the Oset bird sanctuary: 45 hectares/110 acres of land and 85 hectares/210 acres of water, frequented by many species of birds.
Örebro Fur Market
The Örebro Fur Market is held in January.
Örebro City Marathon
Örebro City Marathon is in June.
More on PlanetWare