Newry Tourist Attractions
The port and industrial town of Newry (pop. 19,000) lies on the River Newry and on a canal, with the Mourne Mountains to the southeast and the Camlough Mountains to the west. The tower of St Patrick's Church, Ireland's first Protestant church, dates from 1578. The neighboring Cathedral (RC) is neo-Gothic.
Camlough is a small town in county Armagh, located at the base of the Camlough Mountains.
The history of canals in Ireland is presented at the Newry Canal / Scarva Visitor Centre.
Banbridge (pop. 9,650) is located on the Bann River.
Brontë Homeland Interpretive Centre
An eight-mile signposted drive leads visitors to the Drumballyroney school and adjoining church. It was there that Patrick Brontë, father of the novelist sisters, taught and preached. The route also includes his birthplace at Emdale.
The Newry Museum presents the history of the Gap of the North. Exhibits include: robes of the Order of St Patrick, Nelson's table from HMS Victory, and a restored 18th C. room with period furniture.
This annual three-day event takes place in early June and includes a parade of floats by the canal, as well as various other activities.
In 1921 the County Constitution was signed in the "Treaty Room" of Derrymore House near Newry. The thatched 18th C. Georgian manor is well worth a visit.