Situation and accessThe island of Møn lies at the east end of the Storstrommen, the channel which divides the islands of Zealand and Falster.
It is connected with Zealand by a bridge from Kalvehave and can be reached from Falster by crossing the Faro bridge (branch to the island of Bogø) or by taking the ferry from Stubbekøbbing to the island of Bogo and crossing the causeway from there to Møn.TopographyThe white chalk cliffs on the east of the island are one of Denmark's most beautiful natural features and a great tourist attraction. In addition, Møn, flat and fertile in the west, is interesting on account of its varied landscape - heathland, fields, meadows and marshes, as well as some fine bathing beaches.Cultural historyMany prehistoric remains have been found on Møn, including a number of particularly interesting Neolithic chambered tombs known as "giants' graves". Popular legend associated these tombs with two giants - Grønæger, the "Green Huntsman", who ruled over western Møn, and Upsal, king of the cliffs, who held sway in the east end of the island. Upsal was long regarded as the island's protector, since it was he who caused enemy ships to be shattered on its rocky coast.
Kong Askers Høj (Klekkende Høj)
The bridge from Zealand crosses the Ulvsund to Møn. Only one road crosses the island lengthwise; 2 km/1.25 mi from the bridge a side road goes off on the right and meanders south through beautiful scenery - there is a fine view of the Sound from Borren - to the Neolithic tombs known as Kong Askers Høj, a burial chamber about 10m/33ft long, and Klekkende Høj, a "corridor grave" 9m/29.5ft long and 1.25m/4ft high.
11 km/7 mi along the main road from Zealand lies the capital of Møn island, Stege. The town grew up around a castle built by Valdemar I about 1175 as a defense against enemy forces from the east. In the 15th C. it was surrounded by a wall and a moat; only one of the three town gates, Mølleporten (Mill Gate), has been preserved; apart from the one at Fåborg it is the only surviving medieval gate in Denmark.St. Hans' Church, built about 1250 in Romanesque style, was enlarged by the addition of a three-aisled choir in the 15th C.; it has rich fresco decoration in the choir and nave.In Møn Museum can be seen geological and archaeological finds, photos, costumes, silverware and seamen's chests.
From Stege on Mon a minor road leads north into the Ulvshale ("Wolf's Tail") Peninsula, a nature reserve with rare birds and gnarled old trees. On the mud-flats live such birds as water-rails, sabre-bills, limpkins and snipe. From Ulvshale a bridge leads to the nearby island of Nyord, where birds can be observed from elevated seats.This seldom-visited part of Mon boasts some of the island's finest beaches.
The main road to the east from Stege on the island of Møn passes through Keldby and past Keldby Church, built of brick between 1200 and 1250 and with some rich frescoes; those in the choir, arranged in two rows, date from the 13th C. On the walls are vividly imagined Bible scenes from the Old and New Testaments, including the Last Judgment and the Shepherds with their Flocks. The vaulting has paintings by the Master of Elemunde, whose work is frequently found in many Møn churches. His primitive paintings, full of humor, contain many details reminiscent of everyday life, such as Joseph making gruel for the Infant Jesus.
Hans Hansens Gård
South of the Keldby Church in Møn, by way of Keldbylille, the road leads to Hans Hansens Gård, a thatched square building dating from about 1800 and arranged around an inner courtyard. The rooms are furnished with 19th century furniture and objects and are now open to visitors as a museum.
From Ulvshale a bridge leads to the nearby island of Nyord and continues to Elmelunde. The church, a prominent landmark for sailors, is in the style typical of rural churches in eastern Denmark and contains frescoes by the Master of Elmelunde; these include "Entry into Jerusalem", "Flagellation of Christ", "Last Judgment", "St. Peter with the Key to Heaven", "St. Paul with a Sword", as well as ploughing and harvest scenes. Beautiful patterns of flowers, climbing plants, birds and stars fill the spaces between the many Bible scenes. The altar and pulpit were gifts from Corfitz Ulfeldt - who lived on Møn for a time as a feudal lord - and his consort, Leonora Christina.
10 km/6 mi along the road from Elmelunde one reaches the main attraction of Møn, the chalk cliff known as Møns Klint, the highest point of which is 128m/420ft above the sea. The brilliant white of the chalk standing out against the deep blue of the sea is particularly striking when the sun is shining. There are footpaths around the cliffs, with walks lasting about an hour, and two steep flights of steps lead from Storeklint and Jydeleje down to the sea. Fossils of marine animals and plants can be found on the shore. An expanse of beech forest along the cliff-top contains rare species of plants hidden in the undergrowth. A superb view can be enjoyed from Sommerspiret, a peak 102m/335ft high; at Taleren remarkable echoes can be heard. There is an archeological and geological museum in the park.
From Møns the visitor is advised to make a short detour to see the Romantic little summer residence of Liselund, built about 1795 by the Governor of the island, the French immigrant Antoine Bosc de la Calmette, for his wife and named after her. In the course of his travels he had acquired a taste for French architecture and was influenced by the "Back to Nature" movement; the house was, therefore, designed in the style of a simple peasant house and the roof thatched with dark reeds.There are many other Romantic features in the park, including artificial lakes and waterways, a "Swiss cottage" and a "Chinese tea pavilion". Hans Christian Andersen wrote his story "The Tinder Box" while staying in the Swiss cottage. Other buildings in the park were destroyed by a rockfall in 1905.
At Klintholm on the island of Mon there is a mansion built in 1875 in the Neo-Renaissance style. Through the northern part of the park - with its lakes and avenues of lime trees - there is a marked footpath which leads into the forest and on to the cliffs on the coast.Further to the south on Hjelm Bay lies the fishing port and sailing harbor of Klintholm Havn.
From Stege a detour of 7 km/4 mi south can be made to Æbelnæs, where there is a Stone Age "corridor grave". At the south of the island lies Gronæðgers Høj, the "Hill of the Green Huntsman", also known as "Grønsalen", a megalithic tomb of three chambers surrounded by some 140 massive stones and one of the largest of its kind anywhere.
7km/4mi south of Stege stands the brilliant white church of Fanefjord, decorated with a rich series of paintings (ca. 1500) by the Master of Elmelunde. The paintings form a kind of "Biblia Pauperum" (Bible of the Poor) but do not adhere rigorously to the Biblical accounts. The themes are taken from the Old and New Testaments and from Christian legends, including "The Anunciation", "Birth of Jesus", "Adoration of the Magi", "Baptism of Jesus", "Slaughter of the Innocents" and "St. George and the Dragon". Note also the frescoes of the High Gothic period (ca. 1350) on the choir arch. showing St Christopher, St Martin and medallions with emblems of the Apostles.
From the southern tip of Møn a causeway crosses to the island of Bogø, which was once known as the "Island of Mills". Today there is but one survivor - Bogø Mølle, a windmill of Dutch origin. From Bogø we can travel north to Zealand by the Farø Bridge or south to Falster via the Farø Bridge or by ferry from Nyby to Stubbekonig.