Middelfart Tourist Attractions
FunenSituationMiddelfart, an important seaport and seaside resort, is situated in the extreme northwest of the island of Funen on the Little Belt. From Jutland the town can be reached by means of one of two bridges - one a rail bridge, the other a road bridge - leading from the Danish mainland to Funen.HistoryThe Middelfart was already populated in prehistoric times. The Royal Castle of Hindsgavl ("Summit of the Hintze") which stood here was first mentioned in 1295, when the Danish King Menved and the Norwegian king concluded an armistice there; in the 14th C. the castle passed to King Valdemar IV. Hindsgavl was destroyed in a storm in 1694. In 1784 a mansion was built on the site. The people of Middelfart operated ferries across the Little Belt. About the year 1500 dolphins were hunted here.
St Nicholas Church
St Nicholas' Church by the harbor of Middelfart was built in Romanesque style in the 12th C. and later extended; the work was financed in part by selling "letters of pardon" to heretics and other criminals. It boasts a beautiful pulpit (1596), a font by Hermann Wilhelm Bissen and a Baroque altar (1650) with a painting of ca. 1840 by C. W. Eckersberg.
In Henner Friisers Hus, a gabled half-timbered house, can be found the Local History Museum. It displays articles concerned with dolphin-hunting ca. 1500 and a collection of ladies' hats.The museum also houses a small weapons display.
Hindsgavl Slot on a peninsula west of the center of Middelfart is of interest. The house was built in Neo-classical style in 1784, with two floors and two side-wings, and stands in a beautiful park. For some years now it has been a conference center, with a hotel. Nearby have been found foundations and walls which formed part of the original Hindisgavl Castle. The barn in the grounds displays prehistoric items and a section on the castle's history. The evolution of the landscape is illustrated.
North of Middlefart one finds picturesque villages and Viking remains.
Bogense - Nordfyns Museum
About 20 km/12mi north of the road from Middelfart to Odense, the pretty little town of Bogense lies on the north coast of Funen. In the Middle Ages this was where ferries left for Jutland; since 1976 their mooring-place has been a marina for small yachts and boats. In Bogense many old houses have survived - Landbohjemmet (17th C.) in Østergade and in Adelgade the Bryggergården with an old monastic cellar. Furniture, costumes and coins are exhibited in Nordfyns Museum (opening times given).
Bogense - Gyldensteen (Harritslevgård)
Near Bogense are two mansions - Gyldensteen, a brick-built Renaissance building of 1640 4 km/2.5 mi to the east, with an interesting curved gable, and Harritslevgård, 3 km/2 mi to the southeast, another 17th C. Renaissance edifice.
Bogense - Glavendrup
Glavendrup, 18 km/11mi to the southeast of Bogense, is worth a visit to see the restored Viking ship-building rig. On a runic stone is a detailed inscription ending with a threat to damage the stone.
Middlefart - Southern Surroundings
Southern surroundings of Middlefart.
The old township of Assens on the Little Belt about 40km/25mi south of Middelfart has a number of timbered houses dating from the 16th and 17th C. Of especial interest is Willemoes House (1675) at Ostergade 36, which contains mementos of the famous seafarer Peter Willemoes, who was born in this house. There is a statue of him in front of the Kogehus near the harbor.The town offers numerous activities for outdoor lovers. There are several hiking areas with scenic views of nature, as well as opportunities for biking, horseback riding and golfing.
Krengerup Castle, to the east of Assens on the Little Belt south of Middelfart, is one of the most beautiful Classical mansions in Denmark. It was built in the 18th C. for F.S. Rantzau. On the roof cornice can be seen coats-of-arms, vases and cornucopia.In the summer time, concerts are held at the castle for the public.
There are ferries from Assens to the two islands lying to the northwest in the Little Belt, Bågø (30 minutes) and Brandsø (1 hour 15 minutes).
Assens - Øksnebjerg
South of Middlefart, driving east from Assens on Road 168 the visitor can see on the left after eight km/five mi the Øksnebjerg (85m/279ft), with a memorial tablet to Count Johann von Rantzau, who in 1535 defeated a force from Lübeck and a peasant army; there is also a fine windmill dating from 1859.
Taking route 161 southeast of Middlefart visitors with children might like to visit a family park at Arup and a reptile park and aquarium at Vissenbjerg.
Address: Roldvej 53, DK-5492 Vissenbjerg, Denmark
Opening hours: Jan 1 to Mar 31: 10am-6pm
Apr 1 to Oct 31: 10am-7pm
Nov 1 to Dec 31: 10am-6pm
Apr 1 to Oct 31: 10am-7pm
Nov 1 to Dec 31: 10am-6pm
Entrance fee in DKK: Adult kr35.00
Fyns Sommerland occupies 200,000sq.m. and includes a range of activities including pony rides, aerial ropeways, archery, roller skating, rowing boats and rally cars. Also on site is an aquascape, composed of three pools and 10 water chutes.
Vissenbjerg - Reptile Zoo
Scandinavia's largest collection of reptiles and amphibians is at Vissenbjerg.