Luneberg Tourist Attractions
The old salt-working and Hanseatic town of Lüneberg lies on the navigable river Ilmenau at the northeast corner of Lüneberg Heath on the edge of the Elbe lowlands. It is one of the principal centers of North German brick-built architecture, with numerous buildings of the late Gothic and Renaissance periods. A new inland port on the Elbe Lateral Canal began operating in 1976.Excursion boats ply the Ilmenau, the canals and the Elbe.
On the Sand
In the center of Lüneburg is the charming square called Am Sande, which is surrounded by old brick-built houses, some of them with fine stepped gables. At the west end of the square can be seen an old house (1548), now occupied by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
Museum of East Prussia
To the south of the Am Sande in Lüneburg, at Ritterstrasse 10, is the Museum of East Prussia (land and culture of East Prussia).
Lüneburg - St John's Church
The Johanniskirche (14th C.), dominating the east end of Am Sande in Lüneburg, has a 108 m/354ft high tower. Notable features of the interior (with double aisles flanking the nave) are the imposing high altar (1485), the beautiful choir-stalls (1589) and a number of monuments.
To the southeast of the Am Sande in Lüneburg is the Museum of the Principality of Lüneburg (archaeology, history of the region, religious art, town guilds, peasant furniture; specialized library).
Lüneburg - Town Hall
From Am Sande in Lüneburg, the Kleine and Grosse Bäckerstrasse (pedestrian zone) run north to the Markt, with the Diana Fountain (Luna Fountain) of 1530. On the west side of the square stands the Town Hall, a group of buildings dating from the 13th-18th centuries with a Baroque facade of 1720 richly decorated with figures. Of the many well-preserved rooms in the interior the most notable are the arcaded Court Room (c. 1330) with its stained glass windows and painted timber ceiling (c. 1530). The Cloth Hall (c. 1450) has reproductions of the famous Lüneburg municipal silver plate. The Old Chancery (1433), the Great Council Chamber (1466-84) with its fine carving, and the Princes' Hall (15th C.) are of interest as well.In the Town Hall tower is a carillon of 42 bells of Meissen porcelain.
Lüneburg - St Michael's Church
On the western edge of Lüneburg's old town is the Michaeliskirche (14th-15th C.).
From the Kalkberg (57 m/187ft; nature reserve) near Lüneburg there are fine views. At the foot of the hill is a geologically interesting sunken area over the Lüneburg salt deposits.
Lüneburg - St Nicholas's Church
North of the Markt in Lüneburg stands the Nikolaikirche (consecrated 1409).
Lüneburg - Old Crane
To the east of St Nicholas's Church in Lüneburg, on the banks of the Ilmenau, are the Altes Kaufhaus, an old warehouse of 1745 with a Baroque facade, the Old Crane (Alter Kran; mentioned in the records as early as 1336) and the Abbot's Mill (Abtsmühle).
On the outskirts of Lüneburg, to the northeast, is the former nunnery of Lüne (14th-15th C.), now a women's house of retreat, with a rich collection of embroidery (on show only during one week in August).For the textile aficionado and those interested in the Middle Ages, a visit to this convent during the week in August, when the rare embroideries are displayed, is a must.
Lüneburg - German Salt Museum
The spa district in Lüneburg lies southeast of the old town. The old saline springs near Lambertiplatz were in use from 956 to 1980. They now form the German Salt Museum.The salt industry was a major part of life in Lüneburg from the 12th century until 1980 when the saltworks closed.
Address: Sülfmeisterstrasse 1, D-21335 Lüneburg, Germany
Opening hours: May 1 to Sep 30: 9am-5pm; Sun: 10am-5pm; Sat: 10am-5pm
Oct 1 to Apr 30: 10am-5pm
Oct 1 to Apr 30: 10am-5pm
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), New Year's Eve (Dec 31), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25)
Entrance fee in EUR: Family €11.00, Adult €4.00, Pensioners (OAP) €2.70, Child €2.70, Child 18 & under €2.50
Guides: Guided tour available as optional extra.
Lüneburg - Bach Festival
Lüneburg pays tribute to Johann Sebastian Bach in early June. Unlike many Bach festivals that include works by other musicians, this festival is dedicated solely to him.
6km/4mi north of Lüneburg is Bardowick, which has a Cathedral (SS. Peter and Paul) with Late Romanesque west work and an aisled Gothic nave, carved winged altar of 1525 and fine Late Gothic choir-stalls.
10km/6mi northeast of Lüneburg and 8km/5mi east of Bardowick, on the Elbe Lateral Canal, is the Scharnebeck ship-lift, which raises and lowers ships 38 m/125ft in water-filled "troughs" 100 m/120yd long, 12 m/40ft wide and 3.50 m/11.5ft deep.