Huy Tourist Attractions
The town of Huy (Flemish Hoei) is pleasantly set in an undulating landscape at the confluence of the Meuse and the Hoyoux, approximately half-way between Namur and Liège.
Sugar refineries, paper industry and the Tihange atomic power station situated upstream make up the economic base of the town, which is dominated by the powerful citadel. The town's most important buildings are known as the "four wonders": Li Tchestia (the castle, destroyed 1717), Li Pontia (the bridge, its successor is the Pont Roi-Baudouin), Li Rondia (the rose window) and Li Bassinia (the fountain); only the last two still exist in their original form. The two best known masters of metal casting in the Meuse region Renier de Huy and Godefroid de Claire, the latter also known as Godefroid de Huy, came from Huy. Father Dominique Georges Pire (1910-1969), the founder of European Villages and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1958, lived and worked in Huy.Huy is one of the oldest towns in Belgium. It was mentioned in documents as far back as 636. It received its freedom charter from Prince Bishop Theoduin in 1066. During the High and late Middle Ages it achieved considerable prosperity because of its famous brassworks and wool industry and became a thriving market center for pewter and copper ware. However, as a result of the numerous wars between the prince bishops of Liège and the dukes of Burgundy it gradually declined in importance.
Trips on the Meuse
The tourist office in Huy organizes boat trips on the Meuse.
Dating from the early 14th C, the Collégiale Notre-Dame is one of Belgium's most prominent High Gothic churches.
Not far to the east of the Notre-Dame is the Grand-Place with the copper fountain "Li Bassinia" from 1406, the only surviving Gothic bronze fountain in Belgium.
The town hall (hôtel de ville) is here, a splendid Louis XV building from 1766. Inside is a small collection of paintings.
From the Place Verte behind the town hall a narrow street passes St Mengold church, founded 1244, in its present form the 17th C. Couvent des Frères Mineurs (Franciscan monastery). It accommodates the Musée communal (district museum) which has 12 rooms displaying pewter, glass, porcelain, coins and medals, faiences, guild signs, archaeological finds, paintings and religious art.Particularly interesting are three rooms completely furnished with old Walloon furniture and household objects, the moving figure of Christ "Beau Dieu de Huy" in oak (13th C.) and a cast of the font from St Barthélemy in Liège by Renier de Huy.
Diagonally opposite the district museum is the 16th C. Tour d'Oultremont.
Left Bank of the Meuse
On the left bank of the Meuse approximately at the same height as the Collégiale Notre-Dame is the Maison de Batta from 1575, former refugium of the Abbey Val-Saint-Lambert. To the north is the church of St-Pierre with a 12th C. Meuse font.
A cableway from the left bank and a lift on the Chaussée Napoléon at the base of the fortress on the right bank ascends to the citadel which was built by the Dutch in 1818 and later captured by the Belgians. During the Second World War it was used by the German occupying forces as a prison, with many of the 7,000 prisoners being dragged off to concentration camps. On the tour of the fortress old guns, weapons and casemates can be seen and also the interrogation and torture rooms used by the Gestapo.
The cableway, built in 1957, with wonderful views continues up to La Sarte where there are playgrounds, sport areas and a cafeteria.
Delvaux exhibition, April 4 through September 28, is an exhibition about the life and work of the great contemporary painter.
Featured in this recreation park are a sea lion show, seals, a playground and mini-golf.
Wallonia Festivals (cultural and folklore events including processions and markets; fireworks and Chinese lantern balls in the evening).
Jazz bands play in front of the Grand Palace in Huy in late July and early August.
Map of Huy Attractions