Honefoss Tourist Attractions
The Norwegian town of Hønefoss, at the junction of the Begna (Ådalselv) and the Randselv, is the industrial and administrative center of the district of Ringerike and an important traffic junction with trains to Oslo or Bergen available. It is divided into a northern and a southern half by the Begna, on which there is a double waterfall, the Hønefoss (hydro-electric station), within the town. The falls are impressive only when the water level is high.The falls were the basis of the town's industrial development: in 1668 there were 23 sawmills here. In addition to woodworking the local industries include textiles, skiing equipment and tool manufacture.
4km/2.5mi south of Hønefoss, on E 16, is Norderhov, with a medieval church of note containing the tombs of the local pastor, Jonas Ramus and his wife Anna Kolbjørnsdatter. Legend has it that the lady enticed a hostile Swedish force into an ambush in which the Swedish colonel, Löwen, was taken prisoner (1716). Mementos of the event are in the Ringerike Museum, in the old pastor's house.
10km/6mi south of Norderhov is a beautiful stretch of road (3km/2mi) along the Steinsfjord (on left). The road then crosses the Kroksund, which links the Steinsfjord with the Tyrifjord (alt. 62m/203ft). At the end of the bridge, to the right, is the Sundøya restaurant. Beyond this is Sundvollen (15km/9mi from Hønefoss; alt. 76m/250ft), a popular resort at the north-east end of the Tyrifjord.
To the south of Sundvollen rises Krokkleiva (443m/1,453ft), reached either on a side road (4km/2.5mi; toll) off the main road or by a "barrel lift" (tønneheis; 1,266m/1,385yd long). Below the summit is the Kleivstua (restaurant), with the beautiful "Queen's View" (Dronningens Utsikt). There is an even finer prospect from a projecting spur of rock known as the King's View (Kongens Utsikt; 379m/1,243ft), 25 minutes' walk away.
3.5km/2mi from Krokkleiva along E 16, on the right, is the Tyrifjord restaurant. Beyond this point there are a number of fine viewpoints over the fjord. In 9.5km/6mi the road reaches Skaret (alt. 252m/827ft), with magnificent views of the Tyrifjord and Steinsfjord. Road 285 comes in on the south from Drammen (20.5km/13mi). E 16 now leaves the shores of the fjord and turns east, climbing in 3km/2mi, with many bends, to Sollihögda (alt. 341m/1,119ft; view of the Tyrifjord below). From here it is 28km/17mi to Oslo via Sandvika.
From Hønefoss, Road 7 runs northwest, passing on the right the large stone bridge carrying the Bergen Railroad. It then climbs gradually up the Soknadal and through Sokna (24km/15mi; alt. 143m/469ft) to Hamremoen (14km/9mi; alt. 135m/443ft), with an old storehouse raised on posts.
Norefjell - Skiing Area
From Soknadal it is 5km/3mi to Noresund, where a road (9.5km/6mi; toll) branches off to the Norefjell, a popular skiing area, with facilities constructed for the 1952 Olympics (2 ski-lifts, chair-lift from 750m/2,450ft to 1,000m/3,289ft).
Road 7 runs from Norefjell along the east side of the beautiful Lake Krøderen (area 43sq.km/17sq.mi; 1km/0.75mi long, 119m/390ft deep). In 22km/14mi it comes to Ørgenvika, where, higher up on the right, can be seen the end of the 2,312m/2,529yd long Haversting Tunnel on the Bergen Railway. From here it is 13km/8mi to Gulsvik, the gateway to the Hallingdal.
From Hønefoss E 16 runs north towards the Valdres district. An alternative route between Hønefoss and Bjørgo is along the east side of the Randsfjord on Road 240 or 34 and then on Road 33 (an additional 37km/23mi).
2km/1.25mi from Hønefoss, at Hov, Road 240 goes off on the right. Road 16 follows the valley of the Begna (Ådalselv), passing through stretches of forest, and comes in 29km/18mi, at Finsand (alt. 155m/509ft), to Lake Sperillen (148m/486ft; 23km/15mi long, up to 2km/1.25mi wide, up to 108m/350ft deep). It then runs for 26km/16mi along the east side of the lake. Soon after the Buttingsrud camping site the church of Viker can be seen on the opposite side of the lake. Just before Nes there is a fine view of the church with its slender spire (1860).
On the right bank of the Begna, above its outflow into Lake Sperillen, is the village of Nes i Ådal (alt. 150m/490ft; pop. 250), where Road 243 goes off on the left to Hedal (25km/15mi), which has a 13th century stave church (rebuilt on a cruciform plan in 1738; restored 1901) with a fine interior.From Hedal it is possible either to continue on an unsurfaced road (toll) to Nesbyen (47km/30mi) or to return to E 16 at Begndal (6.5km/4mi).
For the alternative route to Bjørgo along the Randsfjord, turn right into Road 240 at Hov, 2km/1.25mi north of Hønefoss. As far as Jevnaker (13km/8mi) there is an attractive alternative route (beautiful country, large farms), turning left at Klðkken (5km/3mi) into Road 241 (9km/5.5mi).
Jevnaker (alt. 141m/463ft; pop. 3,000) lies at the south end of the Randsfjord, Norway's fourth largest lake (area 136sq.km/53sq.mi; 73km/45mi long, up to 108m/350ft deep). The little town has two glass factories - Hadelands Glassverk (founded 1765; conducted tours) and Randsfjords Glassverk (1949) - as well as engineering works.
Randsfjord - Scenic Route
Road 240 continues from Jevnaker along the east side of the Randsfjord. The road on the west side (No. 245; 87km/55mi to Dokka) is of poorer quality but offers greater variety of scenery.
4km/2.5miles from Halvdanshaugen is Brandbu (alt. 178m/584ft, pop. 2,000), which is also on Road 4 (74km/46mi to Oslo, 55km/34mi to Gjøvik).
5.5km/3.5mi south of Brandbu (3.4km/2mi on Road 4, then turn right) is Gran, with two notable churches of about 1100.
Road 240 continues via Røykenvik (4km/2.5mi; to right Brandbukampen, 522m/1,713ft; view) to Hov i Land (37km/23mi; alt. 134m/440ft; church of 1781); then on Road 34 to Fluberg (11km/7mi; alt. 155m/510ft; church with altarpiece of 1752, a copy of one by Rubens) and Singvoll (2km/1.25mi), where Road 33 goes off on the right to Gjøvik (28km/17mi).
Road 240 runs through Odnes (ski-jump; record 108m/354ft) to Dokka (14km/8.5mi; alt. 148m/486ft; pop. 2,000), chief place of the Nordre Land district; local museum, with 15 old houses. Here the Dokkaelv flows into the Etna, and Road 245, coming from Jevnaker along the west side of the Randsfjord, joins Road 34 or 33, which now follows the valley of the Etna.
5km/3mi from Dokka is Nordsinni church (built at Haugnar in 1758, brought to Nordsinni in 1898 and re-erected in 1961), which has an attractive interior.
Møllerstugufossen - Rock Carvings
At Tonsåsen (16km/10mi; alt. 624m/2,047ft) the road from Bagn comes in on the left. Road 33 soon reaches its highest point (726m/2,382ft) and then descends to 510m/1,675ft at Bjørgo (12km/7.5mi). Here, in the wooded Valdres region, it joins E 16, coming from Hønefoss.