Heilbronn Tourist Attractions
Astronomical Clock on Town HallSituation and characteristicsThe former free imperial city of Heilbronn, the largest and most important industrial and commercial town in Lower Swabia, lies on both banks of the Neckar (here canalized), with a harbor of some size. The old town on the right bank of the river was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War, and only a few of its historic buildings survived. The town has a literary memorial in Heinrich von Kleist's play "Käthchen von Heilbronn".
In the Marktplatz of Heilbronn's reconstructed old town stands the Town Hall, restored on the basis of Renaissance models, with a fine astronomical clock (1580). The tall house at the southwest corner of the square is known as "Käthchen's House", although Heinrich von Kleist's play about the town has no historical basis.
St Kilian's Church
The Kilianskirche, near the Town Hall in Heilbronn, dates from the 13th and 15th centuries. The 62 m/203ft high tower was built in 1513-29. It has a very fine high altar (1498) by Hans Seyfer.Outside the church, on the south wall, can be seen a fountain with seven spouts, recalling the sacred spring of the ancient Alemanni which gave the town its name ("healing spring").
South of the Markt in Heilbronn are the rebuilt church of SS. Peter and Paul (13th and 18th C.; R.C.), originally the church of the Teutonic Order, and the Deutschhof (rebuilt 1950), which now houses the Municipal Museum.
Meat Hall and Courthouse
Near the Deutschhof in Heilbronn the Fleisch- und Gerichtshaus (1598), with the Natural History Museum. In front of it, in a small square, is the Käthchen Fountain (1965). On the bank of the river is the landing-stage used by the Neckar passenger boats.
In the southwest of Heilbronn's old town, on the banks of the Neckar, stands the Götzenturm (1392), in which Goethe sets the death of Götz von Berlichingen in his play of that name (although in fact Götz died in Burg Hornberg, on the Neckar, in 1562).
To the east of the Markt in Heilbronn extends the wide avenue called the Allee, running north-south. On the far side of this lies the Stadtgarten (Municipal Park), with the Festhalle ("Harmonie").
At the north end of the Allee in Heilbronn is the Theater (1982). Southwest of this is the Early Gothic St Nicholas's Church (restored).From St Nicholas's Church Turmstrasse leads to the Bollwerksturm, the only relic, apart from the Götzenturm, of the town's 13th C. walls.
Address: Berliner Platz 1, D-74072 Heilbronn, Germany
To the west of the Theater in Heilbronn, outside the town center, can be found the Schiesshaus, an elegant Roccoco building which survived the Second World War unscathed. It is now used as a concert hall.
This is one of many German festivals held in September in this region. The festival in Heilbronn runs for one week in mid-September. Special food stalls and entertainment is provided throughout the week.
Hohenlohe - Cultural Summer
Cultural Summer is a three-month festival that runs from mid-June to early September and includes almost 30 different events each season. The performances include symphonic and chamber concerts, and recitals, as well as exhibitions and lectures.The repertoire is classical, and often includes renaissance choral music, as well as works by traditional composers.The venues vary from year-to-year, rotating throughout the towns of the Hohenlohe region.
6km/4mi north of Heilbronn, on the right bank of the Neckar, is Neckarsulm. In the old castle of the Teutonic Order is the German Two-Wheels Museum (Deutsches Zweiradmuseum; pedal cycles and motorcycles).
Bad Wimpfen, Germany
The ancient little town of Bad Wimpfen (pop. 6,000), 15km/9mi north of Heilbronn, is also a spa (brine baths).The lower town, Wimpfen im Tal, is still completely surrounded by a low wall. Its most notable feature is the magnificent Knights' Church of St George (13th-15th C.; west front 10th C.), one of the earliest examples of Gothic architecture in Germany, with a beautiful cloister. The old knights' houses are now occupied by Benedictine monks from Grüssau Abbey in Silesia.Higher up the steep flank of the valley is the upper town, Wimpfen am Berg. It grew up around a Hohenstaufen stronghold of the 13th century, and with its gates and towers still preserves a medieval aspect. In the west of the town are the Saalbau, with fine dwarf arcades (view of Neckar valley) and the handsome Steinhaus, once an imperial residence (museum). The chapel contains a collection of material on the history of the church.The most prominent features on the town's skyline are the massive square Red Tower (Roter Turm; 13th C.), to the east of the Saalbau, and the 55 m/180ft high Blue Tower (Blauer Turm; view).In the Markt stands the Stadtkirche (Town Church; choir c. 1300, nave 1468-1516), with fine furnishings, including a Crucifixion group by Hans Backoffen (early 16th C.). To the west of the Markt is the Dominican Church (13th and 18th C.), with a Late Gothic cloister. Near the Town Hall is the Wormser Hof, with the Doll Museum (Puppenmuseum; dolls since 1860).The Konventshaus, at Langgasse 2, houses the Ädenburg Heimatmuseum (historical development of the Ädenburg region, now Sopron in Hungary).At Kronengässchen 2 can be found the unusual Glücksschwein Museum ("Good Luck Museum"), with some 2500 exhibits.In the Kurpark, northwest of Wimpfen am Berg, is the spa establishment, with the Kursaal and the Pump Room.
Historical Museum in Steinhaus
The museum found inside the Steinhaus chronicles the history of Bad Wimpfen since the Roman era.
Address: Carl-Ulrich-Strasse 1, D-74206 Bad Wimpfen, Germany
More on PlanetWare