Follow Us:

Fremantle Tourist Attractions

Fremantle (pop. 24,000) is the port of the Western Australian capital. When James Stirling, landing here in 1829, selected the site for the port he named it after Captain Charles Fremantle, who had recently taken possession of the west coast of 'New Holland' in the name of King George IV. At the end of the 19th C the construction of an artificial harbor made Fremantle an important port shipping agricultural produce and minerals.
A series of handsome buildings with richly decorated façades, including banks, offices, hotels and the market hall, bear witness to the self-confidence and wealth of late 19th C Fremantle. Although the town is now caught up into the Perth conurbation it has preserved the atmosphere of the 19th C port and many fine buildings.

Fremantle Town Hall

The Italian-style Town Hall was designed by the well-known Melbourne architects Grainger and D'Ebro and officially inaugurated in 1887, the year of Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The massive and richly decorated tower, with the black swan which is the emblem of Western Australia, has a steep mansard roof. On the ground floor of the Town Hall is the tourist office.
Address: Box 807, Fremantle, WA 6959, Australia

St John's Church

The neo-Gothic St John's Church (Anglican) was built using light-colored sandstone in 1879-82.

Western Australia Maritime Museum

The Western Australia Maritime Museum was built by convict labor in 1851 as a commissariat store and customs house. From 1879-90 it was a post office, and thereafter was restored to serve its present purpose. Its main attraction is the remains of the Dutch East Indiaman Batavia, which ran aground on the Abrolhos Islands in 1629. During the mutiny which followed the shipwreck 125 men were killed.
Address: Victoria Quay, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Fremantle History Museum

An impressive monument of the convict period is the former Lunatic Asylum on Finnerty Street, now occupied by the Fremantle History Museum and Arts Centre. Built in the 1860s, it served a variety of purposes before being restored and converted into a museum (the sea and shipping, weapons, ceramics).
Address: 1 Finnerty Street, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Fremantle Arts Centre

In one wing of the buildings are artists' studios and craftsmen's workshops (exhibitions).
The Former Lunatic Asylum in Fremantle houses the Fremantle Arts Centre in addition to the History Museum. A variety of work is on display.

Round House

The Round House on the High Street (1830-1) was Western Australia's first prison and oldest public building. This fortress-like structure on a limestone hill is not round but twelve-sided, with cells for the prisoners and a house for the governor.
Address: 10 Arthur Head, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Army Museum of Western Australia

The Army Museum of Western Australia is a regional museum run by volunteers. The collection includes the South African War, World War 1, World War 2, the Korean War, South Vietnam and the more recent peacekeeping operations such as East Timor.
Address: Artillery Barracks, Burt Street, Australia

Bannister Street Craftworks

An old warehouse on Bannister Street is now occupied by artists and craftsmen (exhibitions of work for sale).
Address: 12 Bannister Street, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Film and Television Institute

The Film and Television Institute is housed in an old boys' school (c 1855) which is in light-colored sandstone.
Address: Box 579, Fremantle, WA 6959, Australia

Fremantle Markets

At the corner of South Terrace and Henderson Street are the Fremantle Markets (1897), in which markets are still regularly held.
Address: Corner Henderson Street & South Terrace, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Lionel Samson Warehouse

The Lionel Samson Warehouse dates from the late 19th C.
There is a museum which details the history of the company.
Address: 31 Cliff Street, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia

Proclamation Tree

The Proclamation Tree is a handsome Moreton Bay fig tree planted in 1890 to commemorate the proclamation of Western Australia as an independent state.

Warders' Quarters

The Warders' Quarters (1850) are a Georgian terrace of prison-warders' houses.
More on PlanetWare