Filipstad Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsFilipstad lies at the north end of Lake Daglösen, surrounded by forests and lakes, with a background of hills - an area which attracts many skiers in winter. The town is named after Karl Filip, son of Charles IX.For centuries the economy of the town depended on its iron-mines. Before receiving its municipal charter in 1611, Filipstad was a trading town where iron was exchanged for corn and beef cattle, since the agriculture of the area contributed little to the feeding of the population. Filipstad is the second oldest town in the Värmland region. In recent years old industries have been modernized and new ones established. Among the most important undertakings are Wasabröd, which makes crispbread, and Rosendahls Fabrikker, Sweden's largest producer of ink and carbon paper.
On a promontory in Lake Daglösen near Filipstad stands the church (by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger, 1785), on a cruciform plan.
In Filipstad's Ästra Kyrkogården is the mausoleum of the engineer and inventor John Ericsson, who was responsible for the construction of Sweden's railroad system.
Mils Ferlin Statue
In the market square of Filipstad is an unusual statue (by Bejemark) of Nils Ferlin, a well-known local character (actor, singer and composer of popular and satirical songs), who is depicted sitting on a park bench.
Visitors to Filipstad in the first half of September should not miss the traditional Öxhälja market.
The Filipstad market, held every September, has a tradition going back 330 years.
To the north of Filipstad is the Storbrohytta, a 16th century hammer-mill which remained in operation until 1920.
Northwest of Filipstad, on Lake Vermullen (good fishing and canoeing), lies the little town of Hagfors. The Railway and Industrial Museum illustrates the history of ironworking in the area. The Dalkarlstorp local museum depicts the way of life of a working-class family at the end of the 19th century.Hagfors plays host to the Swedish Car Rally every February, a big draw for tourists to the little town.