SituationThe island of Falster lies between the two larger islands of Lolland (west) and Zealand (north), to which it is joined by bridges. Together with the southern part of Zealand, Lolland, Møn and a few smaller islands Falster forms the administrative district of Storstrøm, so named after the Sound between Zealand and Falster. Gedser Odde, the southern tip of the island, is the most southerly point in Denmark. On the east coast there are some beautiful sandy beaches.
From Lolland the Frederik IX Bridge crosses Guldborg Sound to the island's largest town, Nykøbing. At the end of the 12th C. fortifications were set up on a peninsula on Guldborg Sound for protection against the Wends, and these were later converted into Nykøbing Castle. The town grew up around the fortifications. After the Reformation the castle was the residence of widowed Danish queens. As several queens of German descent resided here many Germans came to the town.In 1767 the castle was sold and later pulled down. Since there was no longer any income from the court the inhabitants began to concentrate more on trade and industry. Today there are tobacco, margarine and cement factories in Nykøbing Falster.
A few beautiful half-timbered houses of the medieval old town still remain, such as the Ritmestersgård (a Renaissance building) in Store Kirkestræde, the old corn store in Slotsgade and buildings in Langgade, where the two-storied house at No. 18 is the oldest in the town, dating from 1580.
A notable building in Nykøbing is the Abbey Church (Klosterkirke), built about 1500 as part of a monastery; after the Reformation it became the town church. Note the grave monuments inside, one of which contains a picture (1450) by Lucas Cranach the Elder. The "Mecklenburg Family Tree" (ca. 1630) by Antonius Clement, is made up of more than 30 portraits. In the herb garden near the church, originally laid out by Franciscan monks, herbs have once again been cultivated since the 1970s.
The Falster Museum at Langgade 2 is housed in Czarens Hus (Czar's House), built in 1700 and so named following a visit by Peter the Great of Russia. In addition to documents, costumes and other material relating to the island of Falster and its people, ceramics and articles of copper and pewter are displayed. There is also a goldsmith's workshop.
In Væggerløse, south of Nykøbing, there is an old village church; in the ceiling of the tower can be seen interesting paintings dating from the Late Middle Ages. One scene shows Jesus dining with two young men following His Resurrection. Note also the crucifix and the pulpit. Nearby stands an old sawmill.
Nykøbing - Corselitze Castle
12 km/7mi east of Nykøbing on the island of Falster stands Corselitze Castle, the main wing of which dates from 1777. The castle is surrounded by a park laid out in the English style, with lakes and streams.From the castle a main road leads to the coast near Tromnðs. North of Tromnðs stretches the longest strip of coastal woodland in eastern Denmark.
On the east coast of Falster lies the bathing resort of Marielyst, with beautiful beaches and a number of holiday homes. Nature walks are arranged during the season.Further south, near Boto, is the "Sommerland Falster" leisure center, a large area with many facilities for sport and amusement including a water-chute, a model boat pond and a track for go-carts.
In the extreme south of the island of Falster lies Gedser (pronounced "yehser"), Denmark's southernmost town. There are ferry services from here to Travemünde (3.5 hours) and Warnemünde (two hours) both in Germany. In autumn large flocks of birds can be seen flying over this part of Falster on their way south. The town has a lighthouse, Railroad Museum (Gedser Remise) and a Geological Collection (Skolegade 2B).
From Nykøbing the A2 leads northwest through fertile fields and meadows of Falster to Nørre Alslev. The Gothic church has a three-sided apse and a Late Medieval west tower. Note the wall-paintings inside, including a frieze with heraldic figures and a danse macabre.
In Norre Alslev on Falster island a road branches off east to Stubbekøbing, an ancient little town beautifully situated on the Gron Sound. It has the oldest church on the island, with a Renaissance altar and a carved pulpit; there is a panoramic view from the tower. On the Town Hall can be seen an original inscription reading "Lad dem styre som forstaae det" (Let those who understand, govern). From Stubbekøbing it is just 12 minutes by ferry to the island of Bogo, from where a bridge crosses to the island of Møn.
To the north of Nørre Alslev the Storstrøm Bridge (Storstrømsbro, 3,200m/3,520yd long), crosses the Strostrøm to the little island of Masnedo and from there the road continues over a bascule bridge to Vordingborg on the island of Zealand.
The E47 from Lolland leads northeast from Norre Alslev across the Farø Bridge (Farøbro, 3,322m/3,644yd long) which is in two sections. The first section leads to the island of Farø and from there the second section continues to Zealand. These motorway bridges, opened in 1985, form a relief route for the Storstrom Bridge.