Falkenberg Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsFalkenberg, situated at the mouth of the Ätra, a river well stocked with salmon, into the Kattegat. Falkenberg has a history dating back to medieval times. It takes its name from a trap for catching falcons, which in earlier days were exported from Halland.This popular summer resort on the Swedish west coast has an 8km/5mile long beach and is noted for its salmon fisheries.
In the charming older part of Falkenberg is the Gåsatorg (Goose Market), surrounded by low wooden houses of the 18th and 19th centuries. St Lawrence's Church, which dates in part from the 14th century, has fine wall and ceiling paintings of the 17th and 18th centuries.To the east of the church, in an old merchant's house, is the Municipal Museum. In Krukmakaregatan are the Töngren pottery workshops, which have been run by the same family since 1786.
Storgatan runs north to the center of Falkenberg, with the Town Hall (1830) to the left. To the right is the old toll bridge (1756), which is Falkenberg's principal tourist attraction. The Town House was built in 1959. There are only scanty remains of the old castle, which was destroyed by Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson and his peasant forces in 1434; originally it was similar to the stronghold of Kärnan in Helsingborg.
In a wooded region to the south of Falkenberg are the bathing beaches of Skreanäs, Ugglarp (Motor and Aircraft Museum, open in summer) and Steninge. E 6 runs past the manor house of Fröllinge (main building 1623) and Kvibille church (partly 17th C.). On the road south to Halmstad are the Haverdalsstrand nature reserve and the seaside resort of Tylösand.
Varberg - Fjärås Bräcka
On the east side of E 20 near Varberg is Fjärås Bräcka, a long bank of shingle at the west end of Lake Lygnern, an elongated lake extending northeast. Here too are an Iron Age cemetery area and more than 100 standing stones, the largest of them 4.75m/16ft high.
At Landa a road goes off to the little seaside resort of Åsa, which has a long sandy beach. 6km/4mi north, on a peninsula, stands the imposing Tjolöholm Castle (1898-1904), in English Renaissance style, built by a Göteborg businessman named James Fredrik Dickson (conducted visits; interesting Carriage Museum).
Abild and Asige
Abild (Road 150) and Asige, to the east of Falkenberg, are surrounded by beautiful beech forests. There are many Bronze Age tombs and standing stones in this area.
Northwest of Falkenberg is Morups Tånge (from tång, "seaweed"), a staging point for migratory birds, with a 28m/92ft high lighthouse. From Stafsinge church, 2km/1.25mi north of Falkenberg town center, there is a fine view of the town.