Epirus Attractions Ípiros
Epirus (i.e. the "Mainland", as opposed to the offshore islands) covers an area of 9,200 sq. km/3,550 sq. mi in northwestern Greece, between the Albanian frontier and the Ambracian Gulf and between the Ionian Sea and the Pindos mountains.
Historically the territory of Epirus extended into southern Albania.Epirus is a hilly region with an abundance of rain, which favors the development of agriculture and particularly of stock-farming. In ancient times it was regarded as a rather backward area; but the nekromanteion (oracle of the dead) on the river Acheloos was known to Homer, and the oracle of Zeus at Dodona was widely famed. The most notable historical figure produced by Epirus was the Molossian king Pyrrhos (319-272 B.C.), who was praised by Hannibal as the greatest general after Alexander the Great. In later centuries the region was settled by incoming Slavs and Albanians, and in the 13th century it again achieved some importance under the Byzantine Despot of Árta. The Turkish occupation which began in 1449 lasted until 1914, when it was ended by a controversial demarcation of the frontier between Greece and Albania.The principal ancient sites in Epirus are Dodona, the Nekromanteion of Ephyra and the city of Nikopolis founded by Augustus. The medieval period is represented by the churches of Árta; and evidence of the Turkish occupation is preserved in Ioánnina, which was ruled by Ali Pasha as a semi-independent principality from 1788 to 1822. Párga, with one of the few harbors on this rocky coast, has attractions as a tourist resort.
Beautifully situated at the foot of a 16th century Venetian castle in a bay on the west coast of Greece between Igoumenítsa and Préveza - a stretch of coast with few harbors - Párga is an ideal place for a seaside holiday. There are sandy beaches along the bay and beyond the crag on which the castle stands, and rocky coasts on the little offshore islands.Párga, 50km/31mi from Igoumenítsa, is reached from the Igoumenítsa-Préveza road, turning off at Morfí (38km/24mi).Bus services from Athens, Préveza and Igoumenítsa. Yacht supply station.
The Oracle of the Dead of Ephyra, located near Mesopótamos, was originally excavated in the late 1950s and early 1960s. It is said to be related to the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice.
Konitsa is a market town that services the surrounding area. With the Pindos range right here the town has also become a popular base for hikers venturing in to the mountains. Of interest in the town are the Folk Art Museum, the church of Áyia Varvára and the nearby Stomiou Monastery.
This little town in Epirus is of importance as a ferry terminal and the starting-point of a tour of western Greece or through the Pindos mountains into Thessaly.
At Dimókastro (Elína), west of Perdika and south of Igoumenítsa, are some walls erected in the fourth and third century B.C. Within them one can see the ruins of a fourth century B.C. temple as well as inscriptions carved into the rock.
Filiátes, north of Igoumenítsa is a market town with many interesting buildings and beautiful architecture. Nearby is the Giromeri Monastery with an interesting history. It also contains a Folklore Museum.
Goumani - Ancient Titani
Ancient Titani dates to the fourth century B.C. It is one of the most significant sites in the Igoumenitsa area. The site consists of streets, two temples on the acropolis, buildings, theaters and colonnades.
Ligia - Ragios (Ragion) Castle
The Ragios Castle at Ligia can be seen on the hilltop three km northwest of Igoumenitsa. Its walls enclose building foundations and the remains of a round cistern. Its finds and construction have been dated to the fifth century B.C.
Paramithia is the primary town in the Souli region. Built on a hillside the town has angled roads, old mansions, and a castle.